Will Server Transfers see a sale this summer?

Rrusalka

You don’t know just how wrong you are and you’ve provided no argument to back up a one line statement.

People didn’t know ahead of time that they were moving the west coast server to the east coast. They stopped those transfers a month before they moved the servers.

/snip all the nasty pejorative narrative that followed

You are using revisionist history here. Yes.. they shut down transfers (literally shut them down, not just the discount) in the lead up to the last server consolidation. But they also restored the discounted transfer rates for a period of time after the new servers came on line. Convenient of you to omit that fact... to help prosecute your narrative. :rolleyes:

People did not know ahead of time about there only being east coast located servers in the US. HOWEVER.. they kept the discounts in place for several weeks after the servers went live and all players knew the physical locations... to give players time to move around some before they took away the discounts. They even made a point of telling us this.. and encouraging us all to explore and decide where to finally settle before they pulled the discounts. That post consolidation window came and went.. and when it went... the studio reverted to non-discounted pricing on transfers.

Again... discounts were enacted to give the studio some time on the need for server consolidations... and not have players feel forced to stay on a server that was dead to them (specifically the old originally-PvP servers, and a couple of the less popular PvE servers). This particular underlying reason is no longer valid at this point in time.

They NEVER put the discount in so that Trixxie could server hop to find the perceived best location for PvP during the APAC times that Trixxie plays. And yes.. I understand you are somewhat flexible in your play times to try to find the best action... but this constant demand that the studio stand everything on it's head for YOU personally is just a bit over the top in my view. Nothing is stopping you from transferring a character right now.. except yourself.

I think it is both fair and appropriate to have a player discussion about the possibility of a short cycle transfer discount. But to turn on other players for disagreeing with your view is irresponsible. Whether we actually get a sale or not.... totally up to the studio.. so gnashing at other players and accusing them of very particular motives and then decrying those motives (essentially prosecution by accusation) is unnecessary.

Edited by Andryah

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those against it have still not provided sound proof or shown anything that backs their assumptions about why or why not Bioware offered server discounts. For all we know, they DID offer them so we could server surf for pvp and gtn and as far as I'm concerned it's still perfectly valid with today's server status. Keith encouraged it and did it himself.

Regardless, it's mute. Only Bioware has the true figures and makes the decisions. I'd just like people to stop speculating just to argue.

I still would like to see it even if briefly. Honestly the US servers are very different. SF has better GSF pops and SS has better ground PVP pops. For me SF runs 60-90ms and SS which is in the same location is constantly 3 bars or less 160-289ms and on into the red.

I just want to fly without seeing peoples ships stuttering around. I guess we will see if the cross faction makes or breaks the population again. The last GSF update chased off the majority of the old pilots. So here's to hoping this one goes over better.:csw_xwing:

Those against it have still not provided sound proof or shown anything that backs their assumptions about why or why not Bioware offered server discounts. For all we know, they DID offer them so we could server surf for pvp and gtn and as far as I'm concerned it's still perfectly valid with today's server status. Keith encouraged it and did it himself.

Regardless, it's mute. Only Bioware has the true figures and makes the decisions. I'd just like people to stop speculating just to argue.

A) then you are ignoring my posts.. because I answered why twice now. ;)

B) it's "moot", not "mute". Huge difference in meaning. :)

C) People are acting like they have turned server transfers off, which they have not. They simply are no longer doing the 95% discount from the original 1800cc transfer price... which has since been reduced to 1000cc permanently (still less expensive than most MMOs transfer fees) as well as adding in the ability to transfer across regions for a bit more cc's.

Edited by Andryah

A) then you are ignoring my posts.. because I answered why twice now. ;)

B) it's "moot", not "mute". Huge difference in meaning. :)

C) People are acting like they have turned server transfers off, which they have not. They simply are no longer doing the 95% discount from the original 1800cc transfer price... which has since been reduced to 1000cc permanently (still less expensive than most MMOs transfer fees) as well as adding in the ability to transfer across regions for a bit more cc's.

a) No, just speculation and I'm not talking about your posts at all as I don't consider your opinion anymore

b) Typo. You still understood it but of course had to point out a flaw.

c) More speculation. I also talked about other mmos. Did you read all my posts?

They NEVER put the discount in so that Trixxie could server hop to find the perceived best location for PvP during the APAC times that Trixxie plays.

Facts or more unnecessary condescension and speculation? And yes I'm sure they didn't specify Trixxie.

Please don't respond directly to anymore of my posts and I'll give you the same courtesy. Just a suggestion. :) (happy face makes it right of course).

Edited by Zerileth

Please don't respond directly to anymore of my posts and I'll give you the same courtesy. Just a suggestion. :) (happy face makes it right of course).

Ah yes.. an old and tired ploy.....trying to dictate to another player what they can post and who they can post in response to. :rolleyes:

Nice try.. but I will respond to any post I like. You cannot intimidate me with your rhetoric.

a) No, just speculation and I'm not talking about your posts at all as I don't consider your opinion anymore

They were pretty clear about why they did the long running sale, and the length of the sale as well as it's termination a couple weeks after the new servers went live should be self-evident as to their reasons ... even to you. ;) Further, the fact that they have not had a sale since they turned off the post consolidation cycle to let everyone get one last chance to choose their final server home just reinforces this.

Edited by Andryah

You are using revisionist history here. Yes.. they shut down transfers (literally shut them down, not just the discount) in the lead up to the last server consolidation. But they also restored the discounted transfer rates for a period of time after the new servers came on line. Convenient of you to omit that fact... to help prosecute your narrative. :rolleyes:

I’m sorry, but that is not my recollection of it. I didn’t omit anything, at least not on purpose and I’m not sure you are correct either about Bioware reopening them at the discounted price after they opened server transfers again.

I’m not going to say you are wrong, but I don’t remember that, which means I wasn’t purposely trying to omit it to help my narrative.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Ah yes.. an old and tired ploy.....trying to dictate to another player what they can post and who they can post in response to. :rolleyes:

A suggestion is dictating? They are very different definitions. I'd think you of all people would recognize this. :rolleyes: (Oh look, i can rolleyes too).

Nice try.. but I will respond to any post I like. You cannot intimidate me with your rhetoric.

Is this the beaten down hero that strikes back against horrible, malicious tyranny? (Sarcasm off).

It was a form of olive branch... Don't take it, fine by me. And I won't let you get away with treating people like garbage.

They were pretty clear about why they did the long running sale, and the length of the sale as well as it's termination a couple weeks after the new servers went live should be self-evident as to their reasons ... even to you. ;) Further, the fact that they have not had a sale since they turned off the post consolidation cycle to let everyone get one last chance to choose their final server home just reinforces this.

Nope. More speculation. :) (Oh look a happy face again. It puts the finishing touch on such a nice dessert or should I type desert?).

but this constant demand that the studio stand everything on it's head for YOU personally is just a bit over the top in my view

You know that is very insulting and I think you are just trying to provocate a negative reaction from me. But I’m not going to give you an emotional response.

What I will say is I’ve not demanded cheap server transfer. I responded to another posters thread asking for them And I lent my support in also wanting them. The only thing I’ve “asked” (or in your “words” demand, which is itself a bit over the top to say) is could they clarify one way or the other if they are thinking of offering a sale on transfers.

That is no different to people constantly asking about double xp/CXP events or CM sales. I do have a right to ask a simple question. You know, like others in this thread have asked for server transfers.

I think it is both fair and appropriate to have a player discussion about the possibility of a short cycle transfer discount.

Which is what I was trying to do with some of the other posters. Unfortunately, some of them, not all, made one line statements and didn’t back up their reasoning at all for opposing them. So I called them on it and asked them to elaborate.

When they wouldn’t or they continued to keep posting one liners, I hypothesised they had alterior motives.

I think you will find that besides that one post, most of my posts were to back up reasons from my point of view as to why it wasn’t detrimental to any to have a short term transfer sale and there didn’t seem any reason for them not to offer one.

Of course I have a vested interest in wanting them, which is why I’m even posting in this thread. My case is not the norm, but that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t use my situation to back up my argument. I’ve no other reason for wanting a sale on transfers. I don’t want to do it to follow or start a player migration and I don’t want it for GTN purposes.

I was actually having a civilised discussion with Tsillah until you decided to pop in and make a personal attack on my integrity. Which begs to the question, was it really necessary of you to try and make it personal. Neither Tsillah or myself were attacking each other, even though we had opposing views and in some points we were in agreement.

You could take a page out of Tsillah’s book on how to have a robust discussion that doesn’t include attacking people’s integrity or trying make it personal.

You and I have a long history of disagreeing on the forums, but 9/10 times you fire the first personal shot and then continue as I try to fend off your attacks. It usually gets to the point have to put you back on ignore, which is a shame because there are often times you make a lot of sense in other threads and I’ve even supported you in them. I don’t know what it is about me that you find so annoying that you feel you must make it personal when you disagree.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I don’t know what it is about me that you find so annoying that you feel you must make it personal when you disagree.

It's not just you, we all take the hits. And this thread will probably be closed tomorrow, or at least several of our posts will be deleted and warnings will be sent out. Some folks can never be wrong and must attack and cause opposition or they don't feel justified in life (did I just speculate?:eek:). I'm not speaking about anybody in particular Moderators.... ;) (i do the happy face too!) :)

Well buy cc anyway, you never know :D

Haha, well when they fix the main issues with Strongholds and put in some worthwhile reward systems in the game itself, I'll consider it. At the moment, for me personally, it doesn't matter if this game were to shut down, but I hope for the remaining players of course that that won't happen.

I’d like to just point out to you that server costs between regions is actually more than between standard servers.

The cost to transfer to another region is actually 1500cc

I would also like to point out that even EA/Bioware say they have occasional server transfer sales and the price maybe reduced.

Considering they haven’t had a server sale since 7/8 months ago, I think it’s highly reasonable for people to ask if Bioware “are” going to have one, so that they don’t blow their CCs on a full price transfer. This is no different to people wanting to know if they are going to have a sale on opening up collection items or CM sales.

How much do character transfers cost?

Character transfers cost 1000 Cartel Coins per character (or 1500 Cartel Coins for a Regional character transfer). The price may be reduced occassionally when there is a sale on transfers in the Cartel Market. Cartel Coins are the only currency that can be used to pay for a character transfer.

Source : https://help.ea.com/en-au/help/star-wars/star-wars-the-old-republic/swtor-character-transfers/

Now depending on how many CCs you purchase at the same time, depends on how much 1500cc cost to transfer.

In the past I would usually only buy 2400 CC for $19.95 US.

That means that a 1500cc transfer costs $12.47 US. Which at the current exchange rate $16.77 AU.

My sub costs $20.16 AU + WTFast sub $13.44 AU = $33.60 AU. Just to play the game that other people pay $14.99.

Now some may say $16.77 isn’t much in the scheme of things, but Im careful with my money and every bit counts, especially when I’m now a stay at home mum and we only have one income for our house.

Something people don’t realise is Aussies pay double and sometimes triple the price you pay for things, ie fuel and electricity. Its winter here and I have to decide, do I turn the heater on or leave it off to save money so I can pay for fuel or other bills, like medical insurance for my child.

It’s a balancing act so we can pay for what we need and allow us to live the life we want. Wasting extra money unnecessarily above our budget isn’t something we do. We work out or costs and needs and make a budget and stick to it. If we want something, then we have to decide what we will do without or put off buying so we don’t go over the budget, ie a new bra. (I never skimp on paying for things my child needs, I would forgo swtor before I had to do that)

Of course I can decide to pay the full price for a transfer OR I can play it smart and wait for a sale. Which is what I’m hoping to do.

If Bioware come out and say we have no plans to do a sale in the next few months, then I can weigh up if I will pay full price and what I may have to juggle in the budget to pay for it. I would be foolish not to ask and then they have a sale next week.

So I don’t think it’s tooooooo much to ask them if they have plans. And I don’t consider that demanding.

Now some may say $16.77 isn’t much in the scheme of things, but Im careful with my money and every bit counts, especially when I’m now a stay at home mum and we only have one income for our house.

Something people don’t realise is Aussies pay double and sometimes triple the price you pay for things, ie fuel and electricity. Its winter here and I have to decide, do I turn the heater on or leave it off to save money so I can pay for fuel or other bills, like medical insurance for my child.

It’s a balancing act so we can pay for what we need and allow us to live the life we want. Wasting extra money unnecessarily above our budget isn’t something we do. We work out or costs and needs and make a budget and stick to it. If we want something, then we have to decide what we will do without or put off buying so we don’t go over the budget, ie a new bra. (I never skimp on paying for things my child needs, I would forgo swtor before I had to do that)

I think there are probably more people have to make decisions like that and I do appreciate that you have to balance things and I commend you for your approach.

Now SWTOR or BioWare rather, of course, aren't there to help you balance your check book as it were. It's put a bit more crude than I'd like it to be but what I mean is that although your situation is compelling on a personal level, companies don't really care about individual situations. I do not think that this will change. And indeed in context games like WoW charge 25 bucks for a transfer last time I checked and they have a very limited cash shop as it is today. They maintained subs and well pretty much everything is gained in game and not via mtx. And they still have millions of players.

But let me ask the question. What keeps you from making new characters on the EU servers and just transferring one toon for the legacy? I understand it's a bit of work to do that but it's probably the cheapest way of dealing with this without having to wait.

In the end most people don't always get what they want and people who can adapt tend to be happier than those that keep wishing for what they cannot have. I know you're pretty fixated on getting cheap transfers but what if that doesn't happen? What's your plan B then? Is it just give up? Either I get what I want or I quit?

I know there's a limit to that. I've had to adapt many times in SWTOR to still enjoy the game and I can't anymore, but that's about how the game works, so I do see a difference there.

But I'm just wondering where it's at for you. I'm just curious.

I think there are probably more people have to make decisions like that and I do appreciate that you have to balance things and I commend you for your approach.

Now SWTOR or BioWare rather, of course, aren't there to help you balance your check book as it were. It's put a bit more crude than I'd like it to be but what I mean is that although your situation is compelling on a personal level, companies don't really care about individual situations. I do not think that this will change. And indeed in context games like WoW charge 25 bucks for a transfer last time I checked and they have a very limited cash shop as it is today. They maintained subs and well pretty much everything is gained in game and not via mtx. And they still have millions of players.

But let me ask the question. What keeps you from making new characters on the EU servers and just transferring one toon for the legacy? I understand it's a bit of work to do that but it's probably the cheapest way of dealing with this without having to wait.

In the end most people don't always get what they want and people who can adapt tend to be happier than those that keep wishing for what they cannot have. I know you're pretty fixated on getting cheap transfers but what if that doesn't happen? What's your plan B then? Is it just give up? Either I get what I want or I quit?

I know there's a limit to that. I've had to adapt many times in SWTOR to still enjoy the game and I can't anymore, but that's about how the game works, so I do see a difference there.

But I'm just wondering where it's at for you. I'm just curious.

Once again, I’m not totally disagreeing with you about what companies should or shouldn’t do. It’s up to the consumer to decide if the prices they offer are value for money or not. In my case, I don’t believe they are, so I choose not to pay full price at this stage, especially as Bioware are renound for dropping sales on us (of different things) with out much notice.

You may have missed my other post to someone else (it was pretty long), so let me just copy and past what I said regarding starting on a new server from scratch (as predominantly a pvper).

Other have said how easy it is to lvl characters. But I don’t want to lvl 4 of the different classes in the story again, just so I can get the all the class bonuses I need for pvp. Or having to collect all the datacrons again or trying to lvl up characters it 300cxp and then gear them up

It costs 9030 Unasembled components to gear to 248 on ever piece.

Regular Warzone Win 20 Unassembled Components = 452 wins to get 9030 UC

Or

Regular Warzone Loss 8 Unassembled Components = 1128 loses to get 9030 UC

Or

Even if you averaged it out at 50/50 win lose. 226 wins + 564 losses = 790 win/lose matches to get 9030 UC

Considering I’m lucky to get 8 matches a day, which means 98 days to gear one character if I don’t get any RNG drops, which is possible because my Guardian on SF still hasn’t got one drop and she’s nearly Tier 3

Now that being said, I have already rolled new Alts on DM weeks before this thread was created. I’ve got 8 that I’m trying to lvl through story because pvp isn’t popping enough to lvl fast (I still queue while I’m doing it). But it’s tedious and boring, I’ve done them all before, at least 20 times each.

Being able to get a sale transfer would negate the need to do the stories to get the buff achievement opened for each class. It would also negate needing to collect all the datacrons again.

I know I will need to make a decision, but I’m giving it a little more time to see if Bioware will respond to the OPs request. (Bio don’t usually do things fast if you don’t put a fire under them or build support ;))

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Once again, I’m not totally disagreeing with you about what companies should or shouldn’t do. It’s up to the consumer to decide if the prices they offer are value for money or not. In my case, I don’t believe they are, so I choose not to pay full price at this stage, especially as Bioware are renound for dropping sales on us (of different things) with out much notice.

You may have missed my other post to someone else (it was pretty long), so let me just copy and past what I said regarding starting on a new server from scratch (as predominantly a pvper).

Now that being said, I have already rolled new Alts on DM weeks before this thread was created. I’ve got 8 that I’m trying to lvl through story because pvp isn’t popping enough to lvl fast (I still queue while I’m doing it). But it’s tedious and boring, I’ve done them all before, at least 20 times each.

Being able to get a sale transfer would negate the need to do the stories to get the buff achievement opened for each class. It would also negate needing to collect all the datacrons again.

I know I will need to make a decision, but I’m giving it a little more time to see if Bioware will respond to the OPs request. (Bio don’t usually do things fast if you don’t put a fire under them or build support ;))

Thanks. That does clear things up for me. And you do have a point about BioWare not doing anything until you nearly push em off a cliff :p

Thank you for being so open. It's given me some interesting insights and I wish you the best with making your decision. I know it's not an easy one :)

I’d like to just point out to you that server costs between regions is actually more than between standard servers.

The cost to transfer to another region is actually 1500cc

All transfers are 1000cc, I keep transfering almost every day, I know!

Wow, sounds like you would be better off moving some place else! You speak english, so the world is open to you! You can go to US, UK.... might be a bettera life for you! You would be closer to swtor servers :)

If its such an issue for you I can provide a few 2400cc codes. I am also the only one working in the family of 4, yet I kinda have a lot of money extra in the month.

Wow, sounds like you would be better off moving some place else! You speak english, so the world is open to you! You can go to US, UK.... might be a bettera life for you! You would be closer to swtor servers :)

If its such an issue for you I can provide a few 2400cc codes. I am also the only one working in the family of 4, yet I kinda have a lot of money extra in the month.

I think Trixxie's plenty ok. (yes I edited it, cause I'm nice.)

Edited by Zerileth

Actually, you can’t just “go live” somewhere else. There are things such as imagration laws and the ability to work in other countries.

I know it’s different in the EU, but I can’t just go get a job in the US or the UK. The same as they can’t just come to Australia and get a permant job and residence. The US, UK and Australia have pretty strict rules about that

And honestly, I wouldn’t live in either country. Australia has its problems, but no where near as many as the US or UK. Plus, I live right next to beach and I can surf when ever I want :D

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Actually, you can’t just “go live” somewhere else. There are things such as imagration laws and the ability to work in other countries.

I know it’s different in the EU, but I can’t just go get a job in the US or the UK. The same as they can’t just come to Australia and get a permant job and residence. The US, UK and Australia have pretty strict rules about that

And honestly, I wouldn’t live in either country. Australia has its problems, but no where near as many as the US or UK. Plus, I live right next to beach and I can surf when ever I want :D

Well.. being in the Commonwealth does actually make it much easier for you if you did actually want to relocate to another Commonwealth country. :)

And if you are moderately wealthy.. and can make an investment commitment of X in another country and most of them, have programs that allow you to immigrate (or simply obtain residency) more easily as you are setting down roots with your assets. Not that you actually need permanent residency in many countries.. as a good number of them actually allow temporary residency and virtually unlimited renewals (as long as you behave yourself).

That said.. I can totally see why an Aussie would like to stay in Australia, rather than leave. :) Australia and New Zealand are actually on my list of possible retirement locations in the future. Canada is a lot closer for me, but I really like Aussie and NZ culture and approach to life.

Edited by Andryah

I’m sorry, but that is not my recollection of it. I didn’t omit anything, at least not on purpose and I’m not sure you are correct either about Bioware reopening them at the discounted price after they opened server transfers again.

I’m not going to say you are wrong, but I don’t remember that, which means I wasn’t purposely trying to omit it to help my narrative.

You may not have been aware of this, and I would tend to accept this a fact because you usually do not conflate things, but the way you presented it was as though it was fact that they never offered post consolidation discounts for a short period of time. And I did not personally attack you, I called out your "statement of fact" as inaccurate. There is a difference. You do not often mis-state facts, and you do not really appear to be a defensive personality, so I am surprised by your hostile response. Trust me, my comments were to set the record straight so as to not allow other players to be misinformed and further propagate inaccuracies. Nothing more. If my comments offended you, I apologize.

And to recap:

1) They had the 90cc discount for the better part of a year before announcing planned consolidations.

2) They shut down transfers (all transfers) a few weeks before they did the server consolidations, and explained why they were doing so.

3) Once the new servers went live, they introduced 90cc/180cc transfers again for 2-3 weeks, and specifically told players this was to give them one last chance to pick the server they wanted to call home. And they very much presented it as a "last chance" at discounted rates.

4) Once they turned them off.. they have never indicated they would offer them again.

The lingering reality of the long running prior discounts are three fold:

1) They acted as a safety valve of sorts for players... giving them low cost freedom to move from what was personally perceived as a dead server to one that was better perceived as a live server.

2) The original reasons and needs are now gone, and as such.. the studio appears to see no need for another round of transfer discounts at this time, but players being players... give them something one time and they feel entitled to have it whenever they feel the personal want/need.

3) We as players got a chance to observe first hand what players would do with low cost transfers which was not part of the studio intention when they offered them ---> server hopping to game some part of the features and functions of the game. Moving legacys on the cheap, server hopping just to exploit ranked PvP play, server hopping just to exploit differences in prices on GTNs from one server to another (though in fairness.. I see little evidence of real material differences in GTN prices on average, post consolidation for the two US servers).

Personally I do not care one way or the other about if the studio offers transfer discounts. But I did join the discussion because a good number of players appear to be oblivious as to the context of why we got them in the first place, and what changed that resulted in them being removed from offer. If we are going to discuss something like this.. I think context is important in the discussion.

Edited by Andryah