So crafting in this game

vacalpotan

Okay, so I tried out crafting because everyone insists it's the best way to make credits. I picked up slicing and synthweaving. Gotta say slicing is pointless. The companion missions cost more than they yield in mats. Way more. Synthweaving... I can craft gold superior augments. I was able to sell the crit one way undercutting everyone else going below 3mil. Wasn't able to sell the redoubt one, tho. But the thing is I woulda made more just selling the mats that took to craft the augment. So again, it's only profitable if it crits, meaning I produce 2. Which is like 24% chance for me.

Crafting doesn't seem like a big money-maker to me. In fact, it seems like a waste of time compared to just running heroics. What am I missing?

Slicing is a gathering skill. As such... it makes you credits every time you slice a box in the field on any planet. It will pay the bills (not that you have many these days) but it will not make you wealthy. The actual slicing missions are designed to basically provide needed crafting materials and roughly break even. The rare materials from missions can and do provide profitable yields if you sell them in the GTN.. in some cases, but you also have a lot of competition in the market.

Synthweaving is an actual crafting skill... and to make money from an actual crafting skill you need to find specific niches in the market where an item is in demand and will sell for notably more than it costs to produce.

There are plenty of crafting guides available on the internet.. so I encourage you to do some research before declaring crafting as an economic failure. I personally only craft of myself and guild mates, because I make almost all of my credits by working the market (buy low, resell at market prices). Some people love crafting and hence are good at it and make profits from it to server their credit needs. But it takes organization, persistence, and patience to work it for profit... so it may just not be right for you.

As to a wealth creation plan.... each player sort of has to figure that out for themselves... because we all have different needs and wants. First.... you need to determine in a broad sense what kind of in game wealth you require to play the game the way you like. If you are into rare CM items... you will likely need a lot of credits in order to avoid ever spending CCs for said items. If you are not.. then you actually do not need any more credits than what drops from simply playing. Heroics works fine for wealth if you wealth needs are low. If you have high wealth needs (in excess of 100M per year) ... then you need to find a crafting niche and work it, or learn to work the GTN for profit.

Edited by Andryah

At least, you didn't call me an entitled ***** to my face, which is something. Yeah, I realize I need more patience. I was just sad to figure out the crafting situation. I come from games like LOTRO and BDO where niches are everywhere. Basically, you master a crafting skill and you can make money. I think this has to do with the number of different stuff that each crafting profession can make in those games. Let's face it, it's usually the high-end endgame stuff that sells, people don't buy gear for leveling.

As for what my wealth needs are, I set goals for myself to get the shiniest stuff in the game. Pretty much 100m+ CM stuff. Why? For one very simple reason, to keep me occupied. As sad as it is, the quest and story content are not enough to keep me here. I love those, but they are for a specific mood, when I feel like questing, and that's like once a week. The rest of the time, I'm chasing shinies. Sad but true. What is an MMO veteran to do when he has grown out of MMOs...

As for what my wealth needs are, I set goals for myself to get the shiniest stuff in the game. Pretty much 100m+ CM stuff. Why? For one very simple reason, to keep me occupied. As sad as it is, the quest and story content are not enough to keep me here. I love those, but they are for a specific mood, when I feel like questing, and that's like once a week. The rest of the time, I'm chasing shinies. Sad but true. What is an MMO veteran to do when he has grown out of MMOs...

The above being the case... I suggest you carve out some niches in the GTN and work the buy-low resell at market prices (ie: what buyers are paying) wealth accumulation model. After a bit of start-up effort.... you can literally reap millions per day if you want to... all while not logged in, or actually playing the game elements you wish to play. GTN market play is very much the highest leverage method to earn credits.

Key points if playing the GTN:

1) dont' try to work everything in the market.. be choosy and go with items that you actually personally enjoy collecting...as this makes it less boring.

2) never put more than 5% of your working market capital into any one item or niche.... that way you do not suffer notable losses if the market shifts on you suddenly (which it can and will do at time).

3) Diversify.... again.. for the same reasons as #2 above.

4) stay away from working the extreme high end of the market. By this I mean do not chase after the 50M+ items for profit.... for the same reasons as #2 and 3 above.

As an established market player... I spend about 20 minutes a day listing, buying, and collecting credits. On average I earn 10M+ per day (profit, not sales). I work the lower end of the market for CM items.... where there is a lot of dumping going on by players, particularly when new packs drop. So I also work volume at these levels. If you have an eye for what people can and will like and buy.. this can be very profitable for little additional effort. Case example, which I actually performed last year: went from 20K credits to more than 100m within 30 days... on a brand new server... with no leverage to begin with (other then basics for how to work the market). So really is not that hard to do if you focus and apply yourself. On my more established servers.... I'm sitting on billions, and can buy anything I like, any time I like.

Good luck. :)

Edited by Andryah

Okay, so I tried out crafting because everyone insists it's the best way to make credits. I picked up slicing and synthweaving. Gotta say slicing is pointless. The companion missions cost more than they yield in mats. Way more. Synthweaving... I can craft gold superior augments. I was able to sell the crit one way undercutting everyone else going below 3mil. Wasn't able to sell the redoubt one, tho. But the thing is I woulda made more just selling the mats that took to craft the augment. So again, it's only profitable if it crits, meaning I produce 2. Which is like 24% chance for me.

Crafting doesn't seem like a big money-maker to me. In fact, it seems like a waste of time compared to just running heroics. What am I missing?

Slicing makes mony by way of you running around in the open world (or worlds) and finding credit boxes to slice just lying around, no need to run amisison or anything. Basically free money.

Running missions to get crafting mats is ALWAYS goign to cost more than the mats are worth. Get out there , hit the button on your map to show "resources" and start looting the place.

This goes for all gathering skills, not just slicing.

If you like running the companion missions, who needs a crafter. Gather level 2-7 greens using companion gather missions and sell for 3 or 4 times what you gather it for. May take awhile, but since the new conquest came out low level crafting materials are at a premium on the GTN. Edited by Stellarcrusade