Awful Lag Spikes

jedimasterjac

Heya. So, I've been gone for a long time. I decided to hop back into SWTOR today.

Unfortunately, it's basically unplayable. I'm getting constant lag spikes regardless of the server, character, or planet, though it's definitely worse on Satele Shan (I could hardly move before hitting unplayable levels of lag)

I don't experience this issue in other games. I play competitive online games, and WoW, both of which have very few issues with lag or latency.

Can anyone assist?

I’ve been getting aweful and I use WTFast, which means I’m able to redirect my connection around problems spots and I’ve tried many routes to bypass any that could be causing problems.

It is also happening to my wife and she doesn’t use WTFast.

My testing has shown that there aren’t any problems for her between us and the server. Once it gets to the data center it starts to fluctuate.

Hopefully this server maintenance is being done to fix it.

Mine had been getting progressively worse in the last week, to unplayable today. Called Comcr@p, they did their usual modem reset thing and ... it worked ?!??

So far so good. Fingers crossed.

[Edit .... and Saturday night ... it's baaaack :(]

Edited by DocDAM

Had issues all last night and this morning. Got to the point where I'd get maybe two minutes of play time between 65k ms spikes and then another dc. Not my pc/isp as it was only running the game at the time and was able to e.g. stream netflix with no problem. In Europe so I don't have the same ISP as others posting but since my game is has been literally unplayable for the last 14 hours or so, I'm adding my voice here.

• 5 weeks later...

Got the same problem here in the UK all day.

The game is not responding to actions with characters frozen in place for around 5 seconds every few minutes even with my MS server lag of 21-23.

Same here on Malgus...

Usually have around 56 ms and now it's kinda unstable. like goes to 70, 90 156 somtimes and then back 56. It's not very pleasant. :D

And the worst part: sometimes character does not respond in time to actions and in PVP that's very annoying.

Edited by DavidAtkinson

Heya. So, I've been gone for a long time. I decided to hop back into SWTOR today.

Unfortunately, it's basically unplayable. I'm getting constant lag spikes regardless of the server, character, or planet, though it's definitely worse on Satele Shan (I could hardly move before hitting unplayable levels of lag)

I don't experience this issue in other games. I play competitive online games, and WoW, both of which have very few issues with lag or latency.

Can anyone assist?

I have had the same issues for at least a few weeks now. Oddly it seems to happen in the earlier parts of a day for me, 10am est to 8pm est.

It makes it virtually unplayable I get a red dot, occasionally X, and then the connection bars in the game jump up to 3-4 bars, then 45 secs later red dot, X again. It's debilitating because it makes it so abilities won't even cast in WZs.

I have yet to see these interruptions occur later if I play in evenings after 8-9pm, but I also never play late nights to really test this out.

My problem is I changed a lot of internet services in our house so I have a lot of other working parts to consider before blaming the game, but I notice no interruptions with any other services when this is occurring with swtor.

I flipped to SS to see if the same occurred there and it did. I noticed no difference between the two servers as they both behaved the same way.

I have had the same issues for at least a few weeks now. Oddly it seems to happen in the earlier parts of a day for me, 10am est to 8pm est.

It makes it virtually unplayable I get a red dot, occasionally X, and then the connection bars in the game jump up to 3-4 bars, then 45 secs later red dot, X again. It's debilitating because it makes it so abilities won't even cast in WZs.

I have yet to see these interruptions occur later if I play in evenings after 8-9pm, but I also never play late nights to really test this out.

My problem is I changed a lot of internet services in our house so I have a lot of other working parts to consider before blaming the game, but I notice no interruptions with any other services when this is occurring with swtor.

I flipped to SS to see if the same occurred there and it did. I noticed no difference between the two servers as they both behaved the same way.

Have you tried running ping Plotter to see where the problems are?

I can't check now as I'm at work but I've noticed when I use pingplotter that before it gets to BW servers it goes through level3 communications which is part of CenturyLink and is what does a lot of the network routing across the country.

I checked here and looks like they've been having problems lately which may be causing these issues.

http://downdetector.com/status/level3

If that is the case this is something that neither our ISP or BW would be able to do anything about as they don't control the routing between your computer and BIoware.

If you run pingplotter while playing you will be able to see and record any lag spikes and where they are occuring. Just use the IP address of 159.153.92.28 (for US) or 159.153.72.252 (for UK) in pingplotter. Any issues between your modem and BW servers is something that BW would not be able to fix.

I can't check now as I'm at work but I've noticed when I use pingplotter that before it gets to BW servers it goes through level3 communications which is part of CenturyLink and is what does a lot of the network routing across the country.

I checked here and looks like they've been having problems lately which may be causing these issues.

http://downdetector.com/status/level3

If that is the case this is something that neither our ISP or BW would be able to do anything about as they don't control the routing between your computer and BIoware.

If you run pingplotter while playing you will be able to see and record any lag spikes and where they are occuring. Just use the IP address of 159.153.92.28 (for US) or 159.153.72.252 (for UK) in pingplotter. Any issues between your modem and BW servers is something that BW would not be able to fix.

This is possible depending on how you are routed to the servers. In those cases, you are correct, BW can’t always do anything. But sometimes your ISP or even BWs ISP can reroute traffic around those problems. It would need to be a major problem affecting most people before BW would do that, but your ISP can sometimes do it for you. It all depends on the ISP.

Here are some other IPs the US servers use (they do change)

159.153.65.228 (I think your 159.153.92.28 might be incorrect)

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.