Keychain Security Key Question

Sinhammer

First off--I didn't know where to post this. I thought there was a tech support forum but yeah i didn't see it so.

Anyhow, anyone know if the battery in the WoW key is the same as in the SWTOR one? I figure my SWTOR one will die eventually and I only used the WoW key when I played in 2012 and I have no intention of ever playing that game again (the horrendous community mainly). Since they're physically so similar I was wondering if I could butcher it for the battery but didn't know if it was worth the trouble or not. Wondered if anyone had done it already.

Why don't you just use the Google Authenticator Software if you are on Android (well, or the SWTOR software if you really want and/or are on a crack...errr applehead phone :-)). Edited by Khaleg

Why don't you just use the Google Authenticator Software if you are on Android (well, or the SWTOR software if you really want and/or are on a crack...errr applehead phone :-)).

Even on iOS you don't have to use the SWTOR app. The Google one is there (more fool you for supporting Google, but that's another story), and there's a whole list of other compatible apps. Search for "TOTP".

Why don't you just use the Google Authenticator Software if you are on Android (well, or the SWTOR software if you really want and/or are on a crack...errr applehead phone :-)).

Because it's a keychain and small and shiny and I can go "Pew Pew" when I push the button.

Since we are talking about security key, I have a question.

IF I setup an Android App security from my account and link it to my phone.

Do I get access to Security Key vendor in game? Thanks in advance!

Yes you do...well...at least if you use the swtor security app.

not sure about the others that I didn't even know worked with the game.

Edited by Darevsool

Even on iOS you don't have to use the SWTOR app. The Google one is there (more fool you for supporting Google, but that's another story), and there's a whole list of other compatible apps. Search for "TOTP".

I support Google over Apple any day although Google is a questionable company as well but not even remotely like Apple. But I'm happy and surprised Apple tries to be at least a bit up to date these days.

According the other things, thanks Mr. Obvious. There are also Windows desktop apps btw. but that somewhat sabotages the security aspect of a security key if used on the same machine as the login is used.

Edited by Khaleg

I still have mine from launch. I'm not looking forward to the eventual day the battery dies.

Didn't know you could use other apps though, thought it would only be the swtor specific one.

Mine from launch started acting up, not always responding to pressing the button. So, I went ahead and switched to the google authenticator. I've been happy with it. I do recommend to make the switch before the battery does die and add on extra steps for making the change.

Mine from launch started acting up, not always responding to pressing the button. So, I went ahead and switched to the google authenticator. I've been happy with it. I do recommend to make the switch before the battery does die and add on extra steps for making the change.

With the Google authenticator, if you have to wipe your phone, do you have to contact CS to remove it from your account and then put it back on?

I won't buy/use Apple products. Most of the time inferior for more money. And I swear everyone I know who has one has some sort of attitude problem. It's like they're convinced they have the best and you're somehow less because you don't use the vaunted Apple.

First off--I didn't know where to post this. I thought there was a tech support forum but yeah i didn't see it so.

Anyhow, anyone know if the battery in the WoW key is the same as in the SWTOR one? I figure my SWTOR one will die eventually and I only used the WoW key when I played in 2012 and I have no intention of ever playing that game again (the horrendous community mainly). Since they're physically so similar I was wondering if I could butcher it for the battery but didn't know if it was worth the trouble or not. Wondered if anyone had done it already.

Not sure if anyone actually answered the question, see a lot of alternate suggestions and questions about why you have your question.. anyway No the battery's are not the same - additionally if the keyfob is designed correctly it will break upon opening (hardware security feature) rendering it useless.

Not sure if anyone actually answered the question, see a lot of alternate suggestions and questions about why you have your question.. anyway No the battery's are not the same - additionally if the keyfob is designed correctly it will break upon opening (hardware security feature) rendering it useless.

Thank you, that's what I needed to know.