I lack the Willpower (Mastery) to unsubscribe.

PetFish

The one thing every game has in common is that nobody ever plays any game regularly forever, or even just forever. Everybody burns out sometimes, and everybody decides they're done eventually.

Sounds like, ready for it or not, you're there. I don't say this often, but I honestly think the best thing for you is to get out, go do something fun. Easier said than done, but I hate seeing anybody play a game to not have fun.

G'luck man.

Thanks for the understanding and kind words, to you and others as well.

Sounds like someone who doesn't have real addictions or know anyone who does. Naive people, in other words. No, your obsession with gaming is not an addiction. When it liquefies your organs from overuse, get back to me.

Addictions aren't just physical and melt your insides and it's pretty narrow and insensitive of you to say something like this.

You're right, though, obsession is *not* the same as addiction, but anything that can be obsessed over can also be addicted to. Some countries, like Korea, even have special programs as part of their healthcare to deal with things like Internet and gaming addictions where there's people that have actually died while playing cuz they couldn't get away to even eat.

Before you call me out I've seen many addictions in my hospital as well as within my own family. It's not just about opioids or anything else you ingest, addictions are much more widespread than that.

I realize it's necessary to say that here, but is this common on other game forums? That is, is there a sizeable contingent of insane pedants on WoW's forums who will cry foul if a poster dares to use 'you' or 'we' to describe a feeling they as an individual have? I lol'd the first time I saw someone do that here, but was shocked to realize that it's considered normal.

It's done because people use the words "we" or "you" to give their argument more weight than it actually has. "We all love how much content BW is putting out right now. In fact, we'd like it if they put out even less!". Well, who is we? Seems a ridiculosu assertion to me, and congrats if you feel that way, but I will certainly call you out for including a decent chunk of the gaming community in that assertion. You are welcome to your opinion, but I'm not going to believe your opinion speaks for the masses without some kind of proof.

Sounds like someone who doesn't have real addictions or know anyone who does. Naive people, in other words. No, your obsession with gaming is not an addiction. When it liquefies your organs from overuse, get back to me.

This is honestly just not true, you should probably do some research on addiction before saying stuff like this. I would guess from your tone of post that you or someone you are close to has gone through physical addiction (basically where you are addicted to a substance that is unhealthy for you) which definitely sucks and I'm not going to say that other types of addiction are necessarily worse, but there are plenty of things people can be addicted to that don't physically harm you (gambling addiction is a good example, as eating addiction, and exercising can be one too).

Good replies on the "addiction vs. obsession"! So, it motivated me to do some quick googling. Looks like the Psychology Today includes many behavioral addictions (gambling, etc.), and believes they share some neurobiological features. As for the American Psychiatric Association, the latest DSM-5 includes gambling as an addiction, but is still not officially including the various other bahavorials until further data.

Bottom line: addiction is a definition, and an evolving one at that. Certainly some are much more severe, including the substance-abuse related ones. But that doesn't mean the behavioral ones can't be considered addictions as well.

Personal viewpoint: I'm firmly in the camp that games, and various other behavioral activities, can be considered addictions. And I think these games are deliberately designed to take advantage of it.

Edited by DocDAM

I see where you could want to unsub. Personally, for me, 15$/month is quite a bit just for a game. As long as I level all my toons to 70 and they complete all the content I don't really desire to subscribe again (except to see the Theron bit tied up). I liked KOTFE but KOTET felt a lot less fun. If they'd continued the imaginative direction of the KOTFE story it could have been great.

Do you have any fun when you log on? I don't know anyone happy with the lack of development, but what we do have is still fun to play, and the people I play with make it the best game ever. If you don't already, find a group of players you fit in with, and play with them...you'd be amazed at how much stupid fun you can have doing the same **** over and over with the right people.

I have been playing MMOs for 20 years now and it all comes down to this. Sure there were other factors involved but every time I have quit an MMO the final straw was because I stopped enjoying playing with the people.

In addition, my mentality is that the moment I feel I "must" play is the moment I say "I'm taking a break". I do not unsubscribe - because the $78 every 6 months is not a hardship and most of the time these breaks come in the middle of that 6 month period so unsubbing is not really an option - but I simply choose to not play for a few days or a week or whatever. It is only when I "want" to play - and by that I mean that I want to do something specific in the game - that I sign in.

PetFish, not sure if you already do this, but one suggestion would be to remove the credit card from your subscription and only use game cards. This way, you must actively go and purchase a game card and then apply it to your account. This should give you the opportunity to ask the question: "do I really want to do this?" and make a choice not to. If you are already doing this and still cannot stop yourself, then maybe it is time for an intervention, but we - the Internet community - cannot do that.

I know what I have to do but don't have the strength to do it. Will you help me?

No, I'm not really having fun right now, I probably haven't had actual fun since I finished KotFE on multiple characters, then only took one all the way through KotET. This is what's really bugging me is that I can't unsubscribe from something I'm not enjoying... I think mostly cuz it's Star Wars.

I've told myself a few times I'll subscribe "one more time and see how it goes" and even though it's not going how I hope or want I still can't pull the plug.

If it is Star Wars that keeps you playing, I could suggest another Star Wars game but it is an emulator but doesn't cost you anything just to see if that helps.

I happen to have stumbled upon this

last week. It mentions the false sense of achievement we get from video games.

Note that there are some very insightful comments criticizing it or qualifying its assertions in the comments section.

Edited by BenduKundalini

NB: I'm speaking for myself here and not the entire community.

I hate what the game has become. Launch up to year 3/4 were still fun and playing through all classes and stories, even multiple times, was amazing.

I hate the direction the game is going. Every year it gets more and more dumbed-down to try and lure new players but has it worked? The constant complaints I see about losing subscribers left and right should be a red flag that this approach isn't working. Also, the "same content release format for 2018 as 2017". *sigh*

Developers see what people are asking for... and then do the opposite, or don't do anything, or come up with something that nobody asked for nor cares about.

Community representatives (Keith & Eric and many others over the years) that hardly engage with the community and when they do people slobber all over them for some reason giving them no incentive to do anything worthwhile since people just accept the status quo.

I'm bored. All I'm doing is grinding old achievements.

PvP is boring. One map for every year SWTOR has been around is just lame.

PvE is boring. Same-old, same-old for years.

Solo is boring. I've taken exactly one character all the way to the end of KotET and have no desire to snore any others through the exact same story.

Now new events since... Nightlife in June 2014? For me events are probably my most enjoyable thing. My favorite was Gree followed by Rakghoul. Anyone who's been playing for a year has probably long since maxed-out their reputation and rewards and here they are just running them over and over again as if this is somehow "content".

They are somehow making enough money through the CM to keep making more CM items constantly but not enough money to actually improve the game in ways the community has been suggesting for years.

I don't know why I'm still playing and subscribing. I guess I just love Star Wars and keep hoping it'll get better for me even though I haven't been happy for a long time now. I have other hobbies I could be doing but just can't pull the trigger and usubscribe for some reason. I need an intervention or something.

TL;DR - At this point I'd actually be relieved if the game died since I can't bring myself to walk away on my own.

As a long time PvPer I feel you. The end of last year was a nice change as the material changes to ranked revived that scene, but its dead again. I'm not sure my subscription will be renewed this month. Pretty damned bored.

Well, we could talk Parks & Rec - like how a character who was supposed to be in a couple of episodes became a highlight of a rocky 1st season and launched him into show and then movie stardom

Or we could go on ad nauseam about Andromeda misqueues

But then we'd be hijacking thread and moved to off-topic.

But, can you load your Ryder here?

I'm not ignoring you, by the way, I have been having problems with my connection on my PS4 everytime I go into Andromeda. I'm online through startup, and then in-game it keeps booting me offline. I don't have this issue with any other games. I'll see if I can take a nice phone pic or two for you and PM you ;)

I'm not ignoring you, by the way, I have been having problems with my connection on my PS4 everytime I go into Andromeda. I'm online through startup, and then in-game it keeps booting me offline. I don't have this issue with any other games. I'll see if I can take a nice phone pic or two for you and PM you ;)
No worries, and thanks!

Damn, now you're giving me the itch to give Andromeda another try. Fortunately, my XBOX Live Gold expired today, ha!

The thing is, I don't have the patience to get into another game and get annoyed and whatnot with it.

I'm old and getting attached to things I know, so I'm just pretty happy with SWTOR annoying me all the time.

It's like your kids, annoy you to hell, but when they are not there, you are just missing them.

Maybe, if I was 18 and were living in my parents basement...nowadays, I would just log in and do nothing, or run around my strongholds, log out and fall asleep in front of the TV...and that's a great day in my book.

The thing is, I don't have the patience to get into another game and get annoyed and whatnot with it.

I'm old and getting attached to things I know, so I'm just pretty happy with SWTOR annoying me all the time.

It's like your kids, annoy you to hell, but when they are not there, you are just missing them.

Maybe, if I was 18 and were living in my parents basement...nowadays, I would just log in and do nothing, or run around my strongholds, log out and fall asleep in front of the TV...and that's a great day in my book.

I understand the feeling since I'm in same boat.

However, once you broken the barrier learning curve which might take few days or a week you will soon forget swtor hehehe. Now, I'm playing a few different games and pretty much mastered them all with time :D

Just a small sample about my gaming mice, I used same gaming razer mice for pretty 10 years and its started acting up due to wear and teared with time, I'm afraid to buy new mice and worry I'll get hard time with new mice but since I have no choice left after the old mice died, I went out and bought the Corsair gaming mouse and guess what? after 1 or 2 hours I completely forgot the feeling with the old mouse and the Corsair work like a charm for me :p

Edited by Xbladez