The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Reduce amount of cc for collected armor would make me spend more cc

Lualei

I cannot understand why I have to pay betwen 60-400 cc for armor sets that I already bought. Take unfettered trenchcoat as an example: I bought it and want all my chars to be able to get a copy but let alone the price - 400 cc - makes me think twice. It doesn't sound as much but when you have several armor sets, toys, crystals etc. you want to onlock it adds up.

If the unlocks themselves were not so costly I would be more inclined to spend more cc on unlocks in general - than I am now with the current prices - ultimately spending more cc in general.:)

Edited by Lualei

I cannot understand why I have to pay betwen 60-400 cc for armor sets that I already bought. Take unfettered trenchcoat as an example: I bought it and want all my chars to be able to get a copy but let alone the price - 400 cc - makes me think twice. It doesn't sound as much but when you have several armor sets, toys, crystals etc. you want to onlock it adds up.

If the unlocks themselves were not so costly I would be more inclined to spend more cc on unlocks in general - than I am now with the current prices - ultimately spending more cc in general.:)

Consider that for *LESS* (in some cases a *lot* less) than the CC cost of buying even a *second* item, you get the right to unlimited copies of the item on all your existing and future characters. Then try to tell me that it's expensive.

Second point. Those prices are less than they have been in the past. My very first item that I unlocked, back in the days where you had to do the global unlock purchase on a character who had not already unlocked the item(1), was an Aratech Rose speeder that I bought when it was on sale at 1050 CCs instead of 1500, and I had to pay 500 CCs to unlock it.

(1) I haven't been able to find a direct indication of when this changed, but it was significantly before 4.0 came out in October 2015.

I get your point that you think it's cheap but if you want to unlock more armor sets it adds up and it's not one tiny bit cheap. That's why I said in the beginning of my text that maybe it doesn't sound as much but it adds up.

I get in total 600 cc every month and with an unfettered trenchcoat unlock that's the only thing I can unlock that month. I like to buy and unlock whole sets and with the current model it's not goin' to happen without me buying additional extra cc.

So yes I stil think the prices for unlocks should be considerable cheaper:)

The CC prices on Legacy unlocks did go up recently. They may still be cheaper than at some point in the game history, but they did go up significantly. For me, they're too high. I'll consider buying some unlocks if they have another 50% off sale, otherwise there's just no way. Edited by Xina_LA

The CC prices on Legacy unlocks did go up recently. They may still be cheaper than at some point in the game history, but they did go up significantly. For me, they're too high. I'll consider buying some unlocks if they have another 50% off sale, otherwise there's just no way.

A few were at a level that didn't match their "rarity" colour (more to the point, they were cheaper), and got adjusted:

* bronze: 60

* silver: 240

* gold/platinum: 400

And certain things, notably weapon tunings, are 600.

But they are still ALL cheaper than buying ONE extra copy of the item.

I get in total 600 cc every month and with an unfettered trenchcoat unlock that's the only thing I can unlock that month. I like to buy and unlock whole sets and with the current model it's not goin' to happen without me buying additional extra cc.:)

Even for a few of us that shell out more for additional CC, the current prices for account wide unlocks is a bit prohibitive. Just yesterday, I broke down and bought a tuning, but when I looked at the unlock price, chose not to because 600 cc was just way too much even though I had enough CC to do it.

they are still ALL cheaper than buying ONE extra copy of the item.

You are missing the point. At least for me, I'd pay to unlock three different gold unlocks at 200 CC each but not waste 400 on only one. The company is losing out on 600 CC worth of sales because of the current pricing.

You are missing the point. At least for me, I'd pay to unlock three different gold unlocks at 200 CC each but not waste 400 on only one. The company is losing out on 600 CC worth of sales because of the current pricing.

I understand that, for sure, but do you actually think they would, averaged over the entire player base, sell (for actual money-sourced CCs) more than twice as many one-off unlocks if they halved the price per unlock? I don't. It doesn't matter what *you* think of the prices, nor what *I* think of them. But if Bioware's (EA's?) view is that they will earn more *money* by permanently reducing the unlock prices, they'll do it, and if they think they won't earn more money, the standard prices will remain as they are.

For information, my general policy on unlocks is:

* Titles I unlock as soon as I acquire them, for the Codex XP on new characters.

* Tunings I unlock as soon as I acquire them because I want the flexibility.

* Everything else I unlock as soon as a second character wants the item.

* All of the above is tempered by "If I have the CCs available at that moment."

For information, my general policy on unlocks is:

* Titles I unlock as soon as I acquire them, for the Codex XP on new characters.

* Tunings I unlock as soon as I acquire them because I want the flexibility.

* Everything else I unlock as soon as a second character wants the item.

* All of the above is tempered by "If I have the CCs available at that moment."

It is great that you can afford to spend like that. I cannot. That is why I am voicing my thoughts on the subject. I cannot know whether they will care or not, but at least I have stated my case. If enough others speak up, why would they not see that as a way to make more money. Then that may change the business plan to favor the reluctant spender.

It is great that you can afford to spend like that. I cannot. That is why I am voicing my thoughts on the subject. I cannot know whether they will care or not, but at least I have stated my case. If enough others speak up, why would they not see that as a way to make more money. Then that may change the business plan to favor the reluctant spender.

What guarantee / proof that it would make them more money? How can you be so sure or prove that too them? Maybe those that spend a lot do because of the cost. If it then costs less, they may spend less and overall make less.

There is no proof or guarantee one way or the other.

What guarantee / proof that it would make them more money? How can you be so sure or prove that too them? Maybe those that spend a lot do because of the cost. If it then costs less, they may spend less and overall make less.

There is no proof or guarantee one way or the other.

Why be so argumentative on this? I've shared my thoughts as others have. There are just as many guarantees that more people would buy more at lower prices as there are for high prices making up the difference. As in there really are none. Pretty sure most normal people want more for there money. Enough said.

Why be so argumentative on this? I've shared my thoughts as others have. There are just as many guarantees that more people would buy more at lower prices as there are for high prices making up the difference. As in there really are none. Pretty sure most normal people want more for there money. Enough said.

Not being argumentative nor do I disagree with the suggestion. Would I like to be cheaper, of course. All I was saying is there how do we know for sure that it would overall increase revenue.

• 2 weeks later...
Collection is pointless. ridiculous price to repurchase something i already purchased that i bound and cant be sold.

The op is right, it does make you want to spend less.

I agree with OP as well.

Most expensive unlocks remain locked. Most of us have more time to wait than money to spend. :p

Bioware should cut their unlock prices in half permanently - or give subscribers twice as many CC reward - or both.

Collection is pointless. ridiculous price to repurchase something i already purchased that i bound and cant be sold.

But you're NOT repurchasing something you already purchased. The basic price of the item, if you use it yourself, gives you the right to make unlimited copies of the item on AND for that one character.

The unlock cost is the price of the ADDITIONAL right to make unlimited copies of the item on and for any other character you have now and any character you create later. You didn't buy that when you bought the item.

Im guessing they have done some metrics on pricing. I would love some reduction in prices myself. Im not a whale and i have to choose what to use my "play funds" for, have multiple hobbies.

Occationally, ill drop some cash on cc's. However, i dont see myself spending 40-50$ on the newest virtual lightsaber. Will prob spend that money on something more tangible. If the prices for unlocks were 20-30% less, i could justify dropping 10-20$ extra more regularly tho.

Ashur

Im guessing they have done some metrics on pricing. I would love some reduction in prices myself. Im not a whale and i have to choose what to use my "play funds" for, have multiple hobbies.

Occationally, ill drop some cash on cc's. However, i dont see myself spending 40-50$ on the newest virtual lightsaber. Will prob spend that money on something more tangible. If the prices for unlocks were 20-30% less, i could justify dropping 10-20$ extra more regularly tho.

Ashur

Hmm. Interesting. Here's an argument that's actually got potential. Personally, I'd be quite happy if they *did* permanently reduce the unlock cost, but I didn't really see any *financial* justification for it from their point of view, especially with all these people saying "I can only unlock one thing with my monthly sub grant so I won't unlock anything because I can't and/or won't buy CCs". That's not a convincing support for "they'd make more money".

Your argument, however, *is*. You'd spend real money to be able to buy more *unlockables* if the unlock price was a bit lower. Thanks.

For me, I always look at the direct competition. If I want something in the game, I'm probably going to get it. The question is just how am I going to get it.

It's similar to the question I run into when an item I like gets released in a pack. Maybe I'll buy packs, but more frequently I find I will smart-shop the GTN, while waiting for it either to be posted at a reasonable price, or go on direct sale through the Cartel Market. While I will pay real-life money for an item, I very rarely want to pay a larger sum of money, obtaining dozens of items that I don't want from a Hypercrate, and then mess around waiting periods on the items and juggling stuff through the mail while I try and unload all the excess into the GTN. Unless it is something that I feel a strong need to have immediately, I rarely try to get an item directly from the packs.

The same principle applies with the unlock costs. I have probably a dozen characters/companions using Covert Energy Gloves. Every single one of them was purchased through the GTN because, even though I have them unlocked in the Collections, their cost is generally low in the GTN while it's fairly pricey to unlock the suit through collections. I find that is frequently the case. I have the item in collections, but when I want another copy, the cost in the collections is just so high that it's not worth unlocking in that manner, when compared to picking it up off the GTN.

Now, if I were one of those people who needs a ton of Black/Black Dyes, I would probably do that through Collections, because the GTN prices are just ridiculous. It's always weighing out all options for competition. I'll put money into the game (renames and appearance changer have swallowed up hundreds of dollars), but I won't use that Collections thing and spend $10 unlocking an item that I could get for 400K credits on the GTN. I mean, that Cartel Market is always going to be in direct competition with the GTN, and in most cases, the GTN player-driven economy is far closer to reality.

Not pointless when the alternative used by other games is to make it so you only get the one copy and you can only use it on the character you purchased the item on. The collection allows you to delete the armor when you don't need it so that you free up your inventory. Making a smaller purchase to unlock it for your account allows you to delete the characters you ended up hating without losing any cartel items you probably paid money for.