can you get swtor on linux

Vigorous_Lighter

my friend has linux on his computer and he want's to get swtor

Short answer: Yes.

Best to install it through PlayOnLinux, which will take care of everything. Alternatively, your friend can use the newest version of Wine with -staging suffix (important! without -staging the launcher won't start; any version of Wine lower than 2.0.8 won't run without tinkering with an additional .exe file). Best go for anything equal or higher than 2.14-staging.

I currently run it on Wine 2.20-staging. Everything works, but the exact performance will depend on hardware.

No idea if Ubuntu or any other cut of Linux supports WINE (WINdows Emulator) that would support SWTOR but that would probably be the way if at all. He'll have to research it.

Try this http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=917932&highlight=LINUX

Not that it's relevant but WINE actually stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator (recursive acronym)

Regrettably, the best solution is for your friend to get some form of Windows 7 or 10. You can get a Windows 10 license very cheaply from some resellers. Or you can check local flea markets, computer stores, buy/sell sights for a "used" copy of 7 (or 8)

From what I've seen of running SWTOR in Linux or Mac, installing Windows is a lot, lot easier. If your friend is a whiz at configuring Linux, they should have no problems, but if not.... :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...
Swtor is working perfect for me on Arch Linux. I ended up using Lutris to automate the install. After it was done, I just click the desktop link to run it (no need to launch it in Lutris after it instals). My fps is identical to windows 10 with the same graphics settings. In fact, it looks smoother in linux DUE to nvidia forcecompositionpipeline (vsync with less input lag), and texture shaders arent distorted. The only performance hit are in warzones. Also my camera angle doesnt flip out sometimes when right clicking.

• 9 months later...
I'm kinda late to this, but I'm running Linux Mint 19.1. And I've got SWTOR running just fine. Though I didn't use PlayOnLinux it kept crashing me. I ended up using Lutris, real easy setup and install and had 0 errors, just had to sit through the full download but it's running as if it were on native windows. *Edit* My only issue is I have no idea where the custom layouts get stored.. Edited by eawilhelm
update.

I'm kinda late to this, but I'm running Linux Mint 19.1. And I've got SWTOR running just fine. Though I didn't use PlayOnLinux it kept crashing me. I ended up using Lutris, real easy setup and install and had 0 errors, just had to sit through the full download but it's running as if it were on native windows. *Edit* My only issue is I have no idea where the custom layouts get stored..

When you find out, please share it here. When I got my gaming laptop over a year ago, I promised myself it was only going to run Linux, but Im addicted to SWTOR, so I sold out and went with microsoft. But this information should be readily available for everyone. Linux is a beautiful OS.

*Edit* My only issue is I have no idea where the custom layouts get stored..

Search your hard drive(s) for "swtor" folders. There should be one where you installed SWTOR, but there should also be one wherever Linux's equivalent of Windows' "Users/AppData" is. (and possibly for screenshots as well).

Edited by JediQuaker

Option 1: Use wine-staging and disable Bitraider in launcher.settings.

Option 2: Use a development (or stable) build, disable Bitraider in launcher.settings, and probably use the swtorfix.exe from the SWTOR/Wine AppDB page. This modifies the way the game allocates memory so it doesn't take forever to load everything. You can try to start the game without this, but it might stare at you with a black screen for the next half hour.

• 1 month later...

SWTOR runs exceptionally well on Linux.

I installed Wine via -

https://www.linuxmadesimple.info/2019/01/how-to-install-wine-40-on-linux-mint-191.html

Then used Lutris to install SWTOR. Flawless installation. I had first tried Playonlinux but that had problems.

I have an i7 4.2Ghz 16GB system with Nvidia GTX 1080Ti, SSD hard drive, plus a 165Hz 2560x1440 gaming monitor with Gsync. I can run graphics with Ultra settings. I have Linux Mint.

Play is very smooth and feels as good as if not better than under Windows 10 (on same hardware).

I did the same for World of Warcraft - very smooth even when Directx12 is not fully supported on Wine yet - didn't matter. On Windows 10 I had to use Directx12 to get the best graphics, but with Wine and Linux it is not needed. Very pleased with the Wine/Linux/Lutris solution. Goodbye Windows.

• 5 months later...

Yes and it's simple. Install a program called Lutris. It is basically the same as PlayOnLinux but with installscripts atleast for the games I've installed. You need wine-staging aswell

https://github.com/lutris/lutris/wiki/How-to:-DXVK

And esync

https://github.com/lutris/lutris/wiki/How-to:-Esync

And google how to install lutris on your friends distro, it should be reasonably simple

After that, create a Lutris account (it's free) find swtor on Lutris website and run installer script

Done

Almost, you have to configure the games launcher in Lutris in order to use dxvk and esync