The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The Last Jedi has grossed well over $1 billion

DARTHOSIRUS

It seems this movie was generally well received. No matter what hardcore fans believe Disney no doubt will consider TLJ a success because it made money, and Rian Johnson will be commended. Currently it only has a 49% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes and there has been loads of backlash. Personally I had mixed feelings about it. I thought it was entertaining but also disappointing, however people vote with their wallets and now The Last Jedi has grossed over $1.2 billion worldwide. For all the Hate TLJ received does not seem to matter. Most people who are causal star wars fans like this movie and not only for the Star Wars name

The Justice League for instance only grossed about half of what TLJ has so far. The Justice League with not only Superman and Batman, but Wonder Woman, The flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg could not bring in the huge profits just on name alone.

With all this said Disney will be further encouraged to do what they have been doing as long as there is more money to be made. Sorry to say but anyone who did not enjoy The Last Jedi will most likely not enjoy episode 9 either.

Edited by DARTHOSIRUS

It seems this movie was generally well received. No matter what hardcore fans believe Disney no doubt will consider TLJ a success because it made money, and Rian Johnson will be commended. Currently it only has a 49% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes and there has been loads of backlash. Personally I had mixed feelings about it. I thought it was entertaining but also disappointing, however people vote with their wallets and now The Last Jedi has grossed over $1.2 billion worldwide. For all the Hate TLJ received does not seem to matter. Most people who are causal star wars fans like this movie and not only for the Star Wars name

The Justice League for instance only grossed about half of what TLJ has so far. The Justice League with not only Superman and Batman, but Wonder Woman, The flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg could not bring in the huge profits just on name alone.

With all this said Disney will be further encouraged to do what they have been doing as long as there is more money to be made. Sorry to say but anyone who did not enjoy The Last Jedi will most likely not enjoy episode 9 either.

yup, i'm working on a video about this now. It's now the 11th most successful film of all time soon to be Number 10. I'm really excited for Episode 9 and Rain's new trilogy

As a single movie - yes, it did well. As an installment of a long-running series - we'll need to see how it'll affect future of the franchise (and we'll have a new movie soon to see the first signs). I personally respect TLJ more than TFA for trying to do something with the mythos but at the same time don't like it very much for mixing potentially good, dark movie with some terrible humor and useless subplots.

As a single movie - yes, it did well. As an installment of a long-running series - we'll need to see how it'll affect future of the franchise (and we'll have a new movie soon to see the first signs). I personally respect TLJ more than TFA for trying to do something with the mythos but at the same time don't like it very much for mixing potentially good, dark movie with some terrible humor and useless subplots.

TLJ won't hurt the franchise at all, The Han Solo movie on the other hand... well that's hard to say. I love every actor in it, however they have fired 2 directors, Ron Howard is on it now, and we have yet to see a single piece of footage and its set to release in 4 months.

Think about that we saw TFA, Rogue 1, and TLJ trailers all 1 year before they released. Yet we dont' even have any set photos for The Han Solo movie.

Also the Fin and Rose subplot was not useless it was kind of a really important part of the movie.

TLJ won't hurt the franchise at all, The Han Solo movie on the other hand... well that's hard to say.

Agreed. Solo is the first Disney Star Wars movie I'm not particularly excited about. I've loved all three of the new movies, but just on its own I'm not as interested in Solo as I have been for TFA, RO, or TLJ. The only news that perked up my attention, really, was Donald Glover being cast as young Lando.

Force Awakened sucked, TLJ sucked a tiny bit less, so we're all probably hopeful IX will suck the least of the new movies and so we'll all (regardless of how much or little we liked the first two) go see the new one anyway.

As for the Rian Johnson trilogy, honestly if he can escape from expectations people bring to a proper Star Wars main trilogy film and do something unique on his own with his own trilogy, I think he'll do well and the movies will be enjoyable. Heck, Rouge One was better than both of the main trilogy films (though I'm not as confident about Solo) so maybe outside the main storyline is where the future of good star wars films will be.

TLJ won't hurt the franchise at all, The Han Solo movie on the other hand... well that's hard to say. I love every actor in it, however they have fired 2 directors, Ron Howard is on it now, and we have yet to see a single piece of footage and its set to release in 4 months.

There is some trailer planned for this week. As for the movie, I hope it'll be good... In my opinion they nailed it with Lando (the actor looks just like I would imagine younger, more roguish Lando) but with Han... well, I'm not so sure. Actually when I think about it, Lando spin-off could've been a better idea.

Edited by juliushorst

Do not dare blame TLJ for what happens with the Han Solo movie. That one has had major problems with having to fire directors and an uninspiring casting of Han.

I do love Donald Glover and Woody Harrelson though so we'll see.

Edited by annabethchase

Do not dare blame TLJ for what happens with the Han Solo movie. That one has had major problems with having to fire directors and an uninspiring casting of Han.

My reasoning is like this: It's a series. TFA was recieved rather well and that brought some people to RO and TLJ. If people don't like TLJ, they will be less interested in seeing Solo and E IX. Sure, that won't be the only thing... probably not even the main thing that'll decide Solo's success or failure... but the movies form a symbiotic circle, to paraphrase one well-loved Star Wars installment :)

I do love Donald Glover and Woody Harrelson though so we'll see.

I love the supporting cast - it's the main star that I'm worried about.

My reasoning is like this: It's a series. TFA was recieved rather well and that brought some people to RO and TLJ. If people don't like TLJ, they will be less interested in seeing Solo and E IX. Sure, that won't be the only thing... probably not even the main thing that'll decide Solo's success or failure... but the movies form a symbiotic circle, to paraphrase one well-loved Star Wars installment :)

I love the supporting cast - it's the main star that I'm worried about.

I think the concern is that such nuance is often lost on the internet.

If Solo underperforms (either relative to actual market expectations or even just relative to some arbitrary, amorphous standard of what a random poster thinks a SW movie "should" bring in) then the discussion is likely to involve haters of TLJ saying that it conclusively proves TLJ has tanked the brand by being so terrible, while fans of TLJ will say that there is absolutely, positively no connection at all between the two movies' reception / box office performance.

And yet it flopped in China where it was anticipated to make a lot more:

92% DROP:

that might be the dumbest video i have seen.

Ok China is not into Star Wars.

So they never got the Original Trilogy over there. They did get the Prequels but TPM only made around 4 million...

So now China's first introduction into Star Wars is Episode 9 which was heavily promoted but only manged around 128 million. (I have to check but currently Boxofficemojo is down) That is consdiered a failure in current China.

For reference Transformers Age of Extinction did 320 million which is double what it made in the US

So they tried again with Rogue 1 and that did about 60 million. Again heavy promotion and they sent Donny Yen and Wen Jiang to promote it.

So Episode 8 comes out with less promotion and goes up against one of the biggest movies in China... yeah it doesn't do well. It wasn't expected to.

So lets quick take a look at what happend.

You have a large country completely unaware of Star Wars and their first introduction to it is the 7th movie in a series and they have 0 frame of refernece.

Next they try Rogue one thinking this might be easier since its not one of the Saga films... but remember most people haven't seen A New Hope... so they have no idea about any of this. The Death Star, Darth Vader, the Rebels. For all they know its supposed to be a sequel to The Force Awakens but it doesn't have any of the characters from it.

Honestly if you had no knowledge on Star Wars and your first introduction is Rogue One you will be confused.

So now what are the odds Episode 8 will do better? Slim to none.

Hence the reason it was released a MONTH after every other place in the World.