The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Back To The Books

Bookworm_Jedi

Legends is vast. Really vast. The last old EU books I read were the Legacy Of The Force series, and the ending of Invincible left me so disgusted I haven't read a Star Wars novel since. I've been a Star Wars fan since I was a little girl, read the books from the NJO, back to the Obi-Wan apprentice series when I was a kid, but what the writers did the Solo's/Skywalkers from NJO on killed the love I had for the books.

So it's been a while the EU/Legends is Non-Canon, but which books should I pick up if I wanted to start reading again?

I enjoyed Stover's works. Loved his novelization of ROTS, I appreciated NJO's Traitor, I actually kept my copy tbh.

avoid Troy Denning at all costs.. his books are just awful

Aaron Allston is good espeically his X-wing stuff, Wratih Squadron is my favorite

The Bane Trilogy is also amazing, one of my all time favorite Star Wars stories.

of course there is also Timothy Zahn I would suggest checking out Allegiance and Scoundrels by him.

Star by Star is the only one of Denning's books that I can stand. Hated the Dark Nest trilogy (all him), hated about 95% of his three books in Legacy of the Force (he got some points back for Jaina smiting Jacen).

Almost nothing set after the NJO appeals to me because of all the character derailment, surgical insertion of the Idiot Ball into Luke & Mara, and general garbage.

X-Wing series, Zahn, Bane Trilogy, and yes heaven help me, the clone commando series. Karen Traviss should if stuck with the Spec Ops books and not written about the mainstream(which she failed miserably). But she did flesh out a lot of mando culture. Truce at Bakura wasn't bad. Oh and I Jedi. Great book.

There is a new Thrawn book out correct?

There is indeed new Thrawn book out (simply titled as "Thrawn", came out last Spring), that of Canon that details his rise to power in the era of Galactic Empire before the Galactic Civil War, which also ties into some events of Rebels tv-series through the character of Arihnda Pryce.

In this June most likely, we'll be getting a sequel to "Thrawn" titled "Thrawn: Alliances", second Canon novel by Timothy Zahn.

Edited by Rebamcfan

X-Wing series, Zahn, Bane Trilogy, and yes heaven help me, the clone commando series. Karen Traviss should if stuck with the Spec Ops books and not written about the mainstream(which she failed miserably). But she did flesh out a lot of mando culture. Truce at Bakura wasn't bad. Oh and I Jedi. Great book.

Hmmm I remember all of those books. I did begin Bakura, but I put it down after a few chapters.

Oh Traviss. I remember her as one of the LOTF authors, and 2/3ds of the books were the awesomeness of Fett and the Mandalorians, and everyone Non-Mando got hit with the bat of stupid.

Who thought that letting a 9 book series written by three different authors was a good idea? I think it killed the EU, since the Fate series, and Crucible were the last books written.

Hmmm I remember all of those books. I did begin Bakura, but I put it down after a few chapters.

Oh Traviss. I remember her as one of the LOTF authors, and 2/3ds of the books were the awesomeness of Fett and the Mandalorians, and everyone Non-Mando got hit with the bat of stupid.

Who thought that letting a 9 book series written by three different authors was a good idea? I think it killed the EU, since the Fate series, and Crucible were the last books written.

Try the clone commando books. Good books.

Try the clone commando books. Good books.

Not that the whole "Skiratta [sic] Legacy" thing makes you partial, or anything. :p

She's a pretty polarizing author in the fandom, and if you don't buy in to the Mandalorian fan niche, you're probably not going to like her books.