"TLJ Destroyed SW Lore!" Uhm, Ever Heard What Legends EU Did? [SPOILERS]

Ylliarus

the clone is.... ok for me it's the Naming convention. Instead of just calling it "the Clone Of Luke" espcially since since he doesn't show up to the end they add in the extra U which is just dumb. What is the though processes for that? We don't name Twins the same name and add an extra vowel.

Mispronouncing the first name was apparently a thing for the crazy clones. Joruus C'baoth did it first, and he "named" Luuke iirc by presenting him. I don't know what kind of logic there was in giving Joruus this speech impediment (tbh it's a little weird that he calls Luke just "Luke", but calls himself Joruus when the "original" guy was Jorus and Luke's clone is Luuke. Did someone tamper with his brain and make him screw up names of clones, and only names of clones? :p), but it was established before Luuke came around.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back on topic:

People complain that the Last Jedi is destroying Star Wars lore and creating a mess of the Star Wars universe. Did those people ever hear what Legends EU did? Some of the utterly insane things it did and no one batted an eyelash?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_storm_(wormhole)

Why build a Death Star? Why build fleets of warships? Why have an army or military at your back when Palpatine can just create a Dark Side storm that rips the fabric of the spacetime continuum and creates hyperspace wormholes capable of ripping apart anything he wanted to! And people complained the Raddus ramming the Supremacy in hyperspace messed up SW lore...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Harbinger_(Sith_dreadnaught)

Time-travelling in Star Wars! Just mess up your hyperdrive and you can travel into the future. And if sabotaging your hyperdrive is too mundane for you just find the Darkstaff!

"A Sith artifact called the Darkstaff was known to have created one of these storms during a critical battle in the New Sith Wars. The storm annihilated the Dark Lord Darth Rivan's Battlelord army and transported him not only through space, but forward in time as well, to the Light and Darkness War, where the Sith Lord met his fate." - Source: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_storm_(wormhole)

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Leia_Organa_II

Let's marry a Leia Organa droid and get fried by it during our wedding! Didn't work for Trioculus, a three-eyed mutant that falsely masqueraded as Emperor Palpatine's son. Thank the Force they didn't clone Leia or any other of the heroes... oh wait...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Luuke_Skywalker

A Luke Skywalker clone called Luuke Skywalker, who is a dark and insane version of him... and people complain that Luke Skywalker was bitter and cold in TLJ when they were seemingly fine with this in Legends EU?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Callista_Ming

Luke Skywalker falling in love with a dead Jedi that possessed his Apprentice's body after having been stuck in the computers of the Eye of Palpatine for years. The ship is being haunted by Callista who helps Luke and his Padawan fight the ship's malignant AI. Along the way, Callista and Luke fall in love. In the process of destroying the ship, Luke's Padawan sacrifices herself. It's a hard day for Luke. He's got this new girlfriend who doesn't have a body and his new apprentice just got turned into a corpse. A ... hold on, you don't think Luke would ask his ghost girlfriend to ...? No. NO. Oh, come on, Luke. NO. He does it. He lets his ghost girlfriend drive his apprentice's dead body. And she is good to go. She throws her undead parts at Luke repeatedly. She even surprises him by dressing his apprentice's corpse up in lingerie on their second anniversary, but Luke never goes all the way. However, the author does make it clear the two were very physical. Totes normal right? A much better story than TLJ hmm? /sarcasm

What am I trying to show? Before anyone starts saying what plotholes TLJ introduced or how it messed up SW lore, please have a look at Legends EU before that. I can make an even longer list of insane things it introduced, this is just a little sample list!

There are plenty proof of George Lucas, that he allowed all this "nonsense" merchandise, like toys, comics, books, etc. to sustain his Star Wars version. This isn't even a secret. He always clearly explained his reasons. So by that, basically EVERYTHING not written by him or where he has no hands in it is only Fan Fiction. He never said, he absolutely approves of some story plots, but accepted them for obvious reasons. At some point he even adapted those plots. Examples are Korriban, Darth Bane, Darth Revan, The Rule of Two, Korriban=Moribund, Asoka Tano, etc.

Without George Lucas direct influence, any observant reader and watcher realise quite fast, that something is missing. Even in the Thrawn epos, something is missing. The same thing is missing from the Episodes 7 and 8 clearly. This special and very personal note of George Lucas.

By realising that standard he is absolutely right, when he said, without me, there is no further Star Wars. Agreed! But!!

- Where are we here? In a Forum of SWTOR. And what is that epos? ...just the second most renown part of the Star Wars franchise, beside the movies! And it is freaking on the spot for being a genuine Star Wars story plot. ...aside from that Eternal Empire plot...

So, basically, it can be Star Wars without him, but only by a conglomerate of very atentative writers and fans to the franchise. It isn’t easy to copy his style! And here is my major argument: Jar Jar Abrams and Ryanair Johnson can copy Lucas visual style but not his style of storytelling. Also their writers can't copy that! Basically those two movies are nothing more than over budgeted fan movies.

...And now comes the question, what are "you" willing to sacrifice for your love of Star Wars? Are you willing to deny anything you dislike from the Legends? Are you willing to discard everything that has nothing to do with Lucas? Or are you willing to sacrifice anything you hold dear to Star Wars, just to have another story from the franchise?

My personal answer is somewhere between. I got very selective when it comes to Star Wars, simply because there is to much to keep in order, and way to much crap. My list is that fore quite short: Movies, Episode 1-6, Clone Wars, Clone Wars TAS, Thrawn, KotoR, KotoR II, and SWTOR.

However I watched the Episodes 7 and 8, also Rogue One, but only holding those as Fan Fic. ...Well maybe Rogue One could be canon for me. I just think Rogue One has the best vibe from the newest movies coming quite near to Lucas storytelling, but even on par to SWTOR style.

What I truly dislike about the newest Episodes is that nothing has been explained at all! Why did Luke really snapped? Thatguy was no Luke, not that guy who was adamant facing the Dark Side and his father in Episode 6! Oh, he dies just of exhaustion, ...rrrright, how believable, that Thatguy who is as strong as the Chosen One just die like that. And how the Force did Rey understands the Force? Just like that? U-hu, so you're telling me that she is so gifted, that she understands the most advanced techniques, just like that? Well if Luke was a Prodigy, also Anakin and both needed training in the Force, *** is she then? And Leia can do Force stuff without training as well? That kind of "surviving the space void and telekinetic back to the star ship"? W.T.A.F man!

By the way, this kind of rant is just because I liked the movie!:D But now comes the Jar Jar Episode:

Muppets in Space. Dud you actually realised, that any names in his Episode sound exactly as they were chosen by the Henson Company? Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Supreme Leader Snoke, Kylo Ren, Bigbird, Finn, ... and what a great story plot... yeah, well, ... it is an insulting rip-off from "A new Hope". W.T.F. man!? For that people paid hard money to see this crap in IMAX 3D, where only ONE freaking sequence was really 3D. That freaking Star Destroyer. Aside from that, nothing was either 3D or IMAX. And the worst was that freaking Luke, who the whole Galaxy is looking after has no line AT ALL!!! No, nothing! Niente, Null, Njet, Nix, Nada! Oh, and the best is still Rey, who does Force**** like a pro! And beats a well trained Force user in a Lightsaber duel, where she actually ignites her first Lightsaber during that duel! No, wait, it gets better: She beats him in a force wielder Lightsaber duel! With EASE!!

RRRRIGHT! What else?

Come on man, I can go on and on about that particular movie. This isn't even the tip of my Iceberg!

Anyways! Do those two Episodes ruin my Star Wars experience? - Only if I let them to! They may be no bad movies, but there are awful STAR WARS movies. Clearly no one invoked in the producing the movies understands what Star Wars stands for.

Back on topic:

However I watched the Episodes 7 and 8, also Rogue One, but only holding those as Fan Fic. ...Well maybe Rogue One could be canon for me. I just think Rogue One has the best vibe from the newest movies coming quite near to Lucas storytelling, but even on par to SWTOR style.

I read and liked most of Legends and that's exactly how I feel about R1. I would actually really enjoy this movie if the ending wasn't 'it's a suicide mission, so let's not even try to stay alive'.

To each their own, but anytime I see "Lucas storytelling" as the standard for good Star Wars or even "what Star Wars is 'really' supposed to be" . . . well, I just have to wonder whether it's simply a matter of wildly different tastes or if there's some serious cognitive dissonance going on. I mean, have you seen the Prequels? Because that's pure, distilled "George Lucas's vision", right there -- so I'll happily take some stories that are "missing" a bit of that artistry.

Lucas created Star Wars, and everything that has come since is certainly indebted to him and his vision for that initial spark, but I don't agree that this means his vision for it is the best one out there in terms of quality.

Legends had its share of crap, no doubt about it, but there is also a significant amount of that so-called "fan fiction" that I think provides better Star Wars stories than Episodes I or II, or even most of III. I'll take the vision of Star Wars we got from Timothy Zahn, Drew Karpyshyn, Michael Stackpole, John Ostrander, Aaron Allston, Tom Veitch, or, heck, even Kevin J. Anderson, over what Lucas contributed over the past three decades.

(And that's without even getting into questions over how much of A New Hope was really due to George Lucas personally, as opposed to Marcia Lucas's editing contributions, or how much Empire Strikes Back was due to Lawrence Kasdan's input.)

Edited by DarthDymond