What is the weird aversion to "west" and "east"?

JLazarillo

Hold on, are you saying the Left side of the map is East and the Right side of the map is West? Or are you saying Left side of spawn door is East and Right side of spawn door is West? Because any time I've been in Voidstar no matter what side I was on, the right side of the minimap is always east and left side of minimap is always west, but what side of the spawn door you drop down to doesn't reflect the cardinal points.

ummm ok when defending.....from spawn point left is EAST....... Right is West according to the MAP the dude posted in his post. (or if you hit M) this is because the doors use the attackers POV not the defenders.

Edited by Kazz_Devlin

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ummm ok when defending.....from spawn point left is EAST....... Right is West according to the MAP the dude posted in his post. (or if you hit M) this is because the doors use the attackers POV not the defenders.

Which is why left and right work better for the vast majority of people in Void Star.

To be fair in Voidstar it really shouldn't matter what terms are used. There are only two doors, so if the call didn't come from your side you should know where to go the other even if the door guard shouted in swahili. If you're in the spawn and the bulk of your team is at one door, the call almost certainly came from the other.

So we're still talking about the right/left direction in relation to the spawn point and not the mini-map(which is what I meant, sorry for not clarifying that). I mean, if you look at your mini-map and no matter what side you're on, right side of the mini-map is still east because the mini-map is always oriented north(don't think of what side you're jumping down from the spawn door). I never actually hit M in Voidstar, so yea lol that's where my confusion was coming from. 'cause I've gotta say, if you're yelling "LEFT on map!!!" and you mean East but I go West, I'm gonna say something because I'm looking at the mini-map not the main map :p

Which is why left and right work better for the vast majority of people in Void Star.

Yea, that is very true, like I said earlier people will pay more attention to what side of the door they jumped down from as opposed to looking at the mini-map to see where they are.

Edited by beattlebilly

I haven't been in an ACW in a while, are the turrets labeled like they are in the "new" Yavin WZ?

Yes, they are. And the names are not, in fact, snow/grass/mid. They are "landing site" (or "crash site" depending on where in the interface you are looking), Command Center and Geneartor.

For more "interesting" pvp trivia, feel free to check out this thread (shameless self promotion :p )...

lesser known oddities about PvP

i ignore people calling out snow or grass. I say generator (g for short) or landing site (ls). It's their fault for not familiarizing themselves with the area.

Yeah nothing like going with the convoluted solution and sow utter confusion instead of calling out something simple and ez to grasp like snow and grass. That any new pvper can quickly pick up. <face palm>

Edited by Kazz_Devlin

Yeah nothing like going with the convoluted solution and sow utter confusion instead of calling out something simple and ez to grasp like snow and grass. That any new pvper can quickly pick up. <face palm>

To be fair generator and landing site are the actual names for the nodes in Alderaan and are labelled on the map. They're technically a bit friendlier to new players than either grass or snow, which are nicknames players gave the two nodes, since they don't require a player having knowledge of player-created slang beforehand.

That said I do agree though that it would probably add an unnecessary degree of confusion, at least on the servers where English is the dominant language (I have no idea what the French and German servers call their nodes), since most of the people who aren't new are now used to snow and grass.

Most people are creatures are habit and if you throw something outside the norm at them a lot of them suddenly become confused. A new player could bring up their map and figure out where to go if someone shouts Generator, but a veteran would probably get confused by something outside the norm and ask "Grass or Snow" in Ops chat rather than checking the map, assuming they even ask for clarification and don't just call the node guard names.

Grass and snow were terms that should never have been used for the nodes (east and west or the proper names are both friendlier to someone stepping onto the map for the first time), but that ship has long since sailed and isn't coming back.

Speaking of labeled nodes...

In Novare Coast the nodes are also labeled East and West, so the directionally challenged shouldn't be confused by it. The map will tell you where to go.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.