Star Wars Film Just Released and....

SaerethDL

I read once, that those two were the sci-fi version of the two peasants in Akira Kurosawas "The Hidden Fortress".

Two characters to gude the viewer through the film.

Indeed. When I first watched Hidden Fortress (the normal translation of the title does not feature "The")(1), I was struck by how much one of the scenes at the beginning resembled a muddy version of a scene with 3PO and R2 soon after they first arrived on Tatooine, before the Jawas find them.

(1) Translation, especially of film and novel titles, is ... fraught.(2) Another of Kurosawa's films is commonly called High and Low in English, even though its Japanese title *should* be translated more like Heaven and Hell.

(2) I don't work as a translator, but since I'm a native English speaker working in a French office of a French company, I get asked to do "urgent" translation *to* English. When the December 2015 livestream (first big one post 4.0) was released, I was roped in to doing a running translation on voice chat for my (French and Belgian francophone) guildies. I only did "summary" translations, but it taught me to regard professional simultaneous interpreters, as used in the UN and similar organisations, with a great deal of respect. That's a *hard* job.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic