why do i get penalized with dark side point for my companion batching a skill mission

Shineside

to me this comes across as a vlagrent attempt to almost force anyone wishing to craft to buy gifts to level up influence to bend the players arm to craft with higher influence levels

i take pride in i only own 3 out of 16 characters having any kind of darkside points due to i hate dark side

can we remove this mechanic

you're not being penalized. You get alignement points from companions missions now (except the actual crafting of items), successfull or failed. If they're dark side either your toon is dark side aligned (empire toons are ds by default until you change it) or the skill is diplomacy which still has a "independent" light or dark alignement attached to its missions that unfortunately doesn't show up as it's covered by the dvl alignement (bug/oversight).

More to the point...

OP: are you doing Diplomacy missions?

Diplomacy missions were always a bit special - they used to be the only crew skill missions that gave alignment points (dark or light roughly according to what the companion does), and they still give those points.

Unfortunately, like the other crew skills, they ALSO give points according to the dark/light selector, and they show an alignment symbol that matches the selector, effectively hiding the old-style points.

That said, it is possible to see which points you'll get for a normal success: point the mouse cursor at the alignment symbol, and a little tooltip pops up showing how many light and dark points you'll get for a normal success.

More to the point...

Diplomacy missions were always a bit special - they used to be the only crew skill missions that gave alignment points (dark or light roughly according to what the companion does), and they still give those points.

Unfortunately, like the other crew skills, they ALSO give points according to the dark/light selector, and they show an alignment symbol that matches the selector, effectively hiding the old-style points.

That said, it is possible to see which points you'll get for a normal success: point the mouse cursor at the alignment symbol, and a little tooltip pops up showing how many light and dark points you'll get for a normal success.

^^ OP, here is your answer...

ALL of the crew missions now give LS or DS points, no matter what skill it is (Treasure hunting, archaeology, etc.). If you send them out on a mission, they'll come back with some alignment points for you if they're successful. Easy enough to set it to the alignment you want by clicking the DS/LS button on your screen.

More to the point...

^^ OP, here is your answer...

No, neither of those answer the OP's question. The diplomacy missions are bugged & have been for awhile. Even if it's just for some.

All mine stay light side as my toon is light side, yet when the missions finish, I always get dark points & light points. Which therefore gives me my Pure title then takes it away in variation.

They never fixed the missions from previous times when it stated what alignment you wanted.

It has happened to me a few times, that when a companion fails a mission, it gives me the opposite of what I have toggled. I was getting light side points for failed missions on a dark side toon. It's pretty weird.

That is odd. I've never seen it do that... except maybe if it's diplomacy and the missions' natural alignment differs from the chosen alignment.

No, neither of those answer the OP's question. The diplomacy missions are bugged & have been for awhile. Even if it's just for some.

All mine stay light side as my toon is light side, yet when the missions finish, I always get dark points & light points. Which therefore gives me my Pure title then takes it away in variation.

They never fixed the missions from previous times when it stated what alignment you wanted.

Yes, Diplomacy missions (for medical supplies, not gifts) have had a split alignment and actually say so if you know to hover over the mission's alignment icon since they brought in the 'commit to the Light Side or the Dark Side' thing. The issue is that there is nothing to indicate that you should even need to check. The natural alignment more than doubles on a crit, and as you have noted, it applies chosen alignment before opposite alignment instead of applying the difference (It says +18 Light when the mission finishes but gives the 102 Light then 84 Dark that it said at the start).

That's why if I'm trying to keep a character with Diplomacy at Light V (or Dark V) I only do the missions where the natural alignment and the chosen alignment match.

If it's diplomacy, you gain dark and light points if you do a mission opposite your DvL toggle. EX: If you do a Dark Side Diplomacy, but are toggled light side, you'll go up on both relative to the gaining.

If you do dark side with dark side toggle, it's just a bigger dark side boost.

Same effect if you reverse the situation and do light side mission with dark side toggle, and so forth.

If it wasn't clear, here is the issue - and it's with diplomacy only:

Yes, Diplomacy missions (for medical supplies, not gifts) have had a split alignment and actually say so if you know to hover over the mission's alignment icon since they brought in the 'commit to the Light Side or the Dark Side' thing. The issue is that there is nothing to indicate that you should even need to check. The natural alignment more than doubles on a crit, and as you have noted, it applies chosen alignment before opposite alignment instead of applying the difference (It says +18 Light when the mission finishes but gives the 102 Light then 84 Dark that it said at the start).

That's why if I'm trying to keep a character with Diplomacy at Light V (or Dark V) I only do the missions where the natural alignment and the chosen alignment match.

There is one diplomacy mission in each level that has mixed light/dark - you can see which one with a hover. I believe this is the issue OP is having. Not sure if it's a bug or intended...

There is one diplomacy mission in each level that has mixed light/dark - you can see which one with a hover. I believe this is the issue OP is having. Not sure if it's a bug or intended...

I reported this issue on the Bug Report forums. Steve the Cynic gave me the same answer there, too. And, I still consider this to be a Bug. If, when you open your Crafting Mission, and a mission tells you it is "Light Aligned" but it ISN'T then that is clearly a bug. Diplomacy missions should be tagged their natural alignment, as they were before... not tagged as what your chosen alignment is.

Now that I know to look at whether my mission is naturally Dark or Light, I no longer have this issue, at least on my character that is a Light V Jedi. My Imperial Sniper really doesn't care.

I reported this issue on the Bug Report forums. Steve the Cynic gave me the same answer there, too. And, I still consider this to be a Bug. If, when you open your Crafting Mission, and a mission tells you it is "Light Aligned" but it ISN'T then that is clearly a bug. Diplomacy missions should be tagged their natural alignment, as they were before... not tagged as what your chosen alignment is.

Now that I know to look at whether my mission is naturally Dark or Light, I no longer have this issue, at least on my character that is a Light V Jedi. My Imperial Sniper really doesn't care.

It would certainly be better if the missions where the natural alignment is opposite to your chosen alignment had an obvious indicator. I'd make it half & half (like the icon on contested planets in the galaxy map) so we could tell at a glance that they were different.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.