Suggestion: More realistic weapon range system

NephilimNexus

Instead of arbitrarily setting flat ranges for every weapon, I think it would be more realistic to simply give weapons values for accuracy over range.

Meaning that every blaster wouldn't be the same flat 30m. Rather, range would be (in theory) as far as you can target but effective range would be around 30m for normal blaster rifles. Firing within effective range would give you your normal full chance to hit. Firing beyond that would result in geometric drop in accuracy as the range-to-target increases.

For extra realism, tweak the weapons themselves to reflect this. Scatterguns would be the lowest, say 10 to 15m of effective range. Pistols would be next, 20 to 25m. Blaser rifles and assault guns would fall into the 30 to 40m range and sniper rifles would naturally be the longers, at least 40 to 50m (or more) for their effective range.

So if your chance to hit drops by, say, 5% per meter past your effective range, then yes you could try to hit a target standing at 50m with your blaster pistol, but you'd be 60% less likely to hit. A sniper rifle, on the other hand, would have normal chances.

Final note (to keep snipers from becoming game-killers): Give weapons a minimum range as well, with penalties for firing too close. Same formula but in reverse, with pistols & scatterguns having no minimum range penatlies at all. Rifles & assault guns having a small minimum range, say 5 to 10 meters and snipers the largest bracket of around 10 to 20 meters.

This would create more interesting tactics, I believe.

• 4 weeks later...
I was going to make a new post on this topic but this thread is already here. BW this is something you really need to consider, especially the minimum range on heavy hitting ranged weapon. At the moment range just has no dis-advantage. It would also remove the "stand still one button spamming setups" that have unfortunately evolved.

It would make sense in a single-player game, sure. In an MMO that has to be concerned with both PVE and PVP balance? Absolutely not.

Yes it has been implemented in other MMO's. As already stated it is very similar to the system that was implemented by Star Wars Galaxies and it worked well. It actually forces ranged abilities to be used at range. At the moment there is no disadvantage, range is king. This system brings more balance between melee and ranged characters.

Edited by Darth_Paddy

AFAIK, range is based on the skill not the weapon.

Admittedly, my scoundrel is only lvl 11, but the only skill he has that uses his scattergun has a range of 4m.

Anyways, limiting range makes balance far more effective. From what I've seen, The melee's closing skills all have a range of 30m. The ranged attacks have a range of 30m. Can't attack somebody from out of closing range.

Seems fair.

Unless you want to make it so melee guys (mostly force users) get a high percentage chance of reflecting an attack back at the user if attacked from outside their weapons effective range? Presumably, considering the setting, that would be "realistic".