New lag issue

Otaktey

I'm posting this as a new thread for two reasons: 1. The Devs and support teams need to know. 2. It is a new issue for me, since moving to one east coast data center.

Background: I moved to second shift at work. This meant that by the time I got home from work, Shadowlands was dead. I transferred a toon to Harbinger, and found lots of players online, when I got home from work. I ended up moving all my toons to harbinger even though my ping went from 35 to 150 (from Kentucky, USA).

I signed up for a fiber optic gigabit internet service in July '17. My ping on Harbinger dropped from 150 to 77ms. I have been able to play PVP, OPS, or run around on the fleet ship with ZERO lag, running on the highest video setting at 65-100 fps. After the data center move, on Tuesday 10/24, I am now running a steady 37ms ping.

NEW ISSUE:

Last night I got home from work and ran some PVP. For the first time, since I got Gigabit internet, I experience some rubber banding and graphics freeze while fighting for the center node.

Therefore:

A. The east coast datacenter is not as good as the west coast data center.

OR,

B. The game was waiting on inputs from players from the APAC region, before it would accept any more of my inputs.

Conclusion:

To my Aussie friends out there... ie: Icykill... If (B) is the reason for my new lag problems, then the best way for APAC players to get the pings fixed, is not to quit playing, but to play even more. Flood the East coast data center with 200-300 ping players and they will see that it affects East coast players with 37ms pings, just as much as it affects APAC players.

To my SWTOR devs and ITT guys and gals: I completely understand the business impact and cost savings of one data center. However, if you reduce the quality of the game, to save money, you will always end up losing money long term.

I'm pretty sure my new lag issues are coming from the data center's location, relevant to the other players geographic location, as I've played on Shadowlands and POT5 for a long time, before moving to Harbinger due to shift change. So I don't think it is the data center equipment. I think this location is a bad move, for the quality of game play, for everyone.