New Item UI

JLazarillo

Just a small thing that I don't recall seeing in the patch notes, but the new item UI feels a little...clunkier. Moving the tabs to the top might not have been so bad, but it added a "margin" to the window that kinda stands out.

Yeah, this change wasn't specified in the patch note. I find it "odd" tbh, the idea isn't bad but it isn't put in an elegant way ^^

Is anything about the UI faster? When you say clunky do you mean it's slower now? (lag)

No, I mean it in the sense of aesthetics. Like Lxndra said, it draws the attention to the tabs and the empty space, rather than the actual things I'm opening the window for.

The more I'm working with it, the more it bothers me. It's supposed to be the other way around. The interface is also now inconsistent with other inventory interfaces, such as the cargo bays which have the tabs at the bottom, and the vendors, which have the tabs at the bottom. This is just really, really a poor design decision from a usability standpoint.

I love this game, and honestly, the devs that communicate to us seem like the nicest guys in the world....so I really feel bad about saying this: why, why, why are things that aren't broken prioritized over bugs that are?

Yes, undo the changes to the inventory ASAP. Fix the cartel market, and remove the ugly glowing speeders from our strongholds.

Heck just roll back to 5.4, go back to the drafting table and fix stuff that is broken instead of breaking other things.

:mad:

Edited by Mubrak

Here are the areas I think could use a bit more work

https://i.imgur.com/39Ktfob.png

Come to think of it, expanding my inventory would help that bottom part, silly me!

I like your turtle cat. :D

Yes, undo the changes to the inventory ASAP. Fix the cartel market, and remove the ugly glowing speeders from our strongholds.

Heck just roll back to 5.4, go back to the drafting table and fix stuff that is broken instead of breaking other things.

:mad:

Chill. Doctor's orders. You're going to be ok. :cool:

Is anything about the UI faster? When you say clunky do you mean it's slower now? (lag)

Only in the sense that the new layout makes moving the mouse to click on stuff take marginally longer.

But when we say clunky, we mean it looks and feels very much like a 1990s HTML website.

The more I'm working with it, the more it bothers me. It's supposed to be the other way around. The interface is also now inconsistent with other inventory interfaces, such as the cargo bays which have the tabs at the bottom, and the vendors, which have the tabs at the bottom. This is just really, really a poor design decision from a usability standpoint.

THIS.

Having them all unified at the bottom like on every other UI element is elegant and usable.

Having them not be both ginormous and yet somehow still placed within a massive area of wasted space was also much nicer (Seriously who thought these decisions were a good idea? Is this a placeholder?)

And they stand out something rotten due to not aesthetically matching any other element of the UI.

*EDIT*

Wait a minute.....

Making all the tabs larger.... adding a load of wasted UI space... Putting them in unintuitive places....

I remember when Microsoft did this....

KINECT SUPPORT FOR SWTOR CONFIRMED?

Edited by Sunyavadin

The new Inventory feels clunky to me, too. Having Sort By near tabs slows things down for me. The bottom two Inventory rows are where I keep items in a specific order. I want to make sure I don't click Sort By instead of the Mission Items or Currency tabs. I really don't want to see things mixed up if I distractedly click Sort By.

Here are the areas I think could use a bit more work

https://i.imgur.com/39Ktfob.png

Even if the tabs were moved back to the bottom, the kitty drawing should stay.

Had some time to kill, (don't be afraid kitty's still alive but hides in the shadows...)

Personally I'd rather have the tabs on the sides but the UI is not scalable and alread y a pain to display along both GTN and gear preview window.

I for one really dig the new look. Clunky or not, it's so much more appealing and nice to look at. Maybe that's just because I like my UI a bit clunky. ;)

After all, SWG (Pre-CU) has my favorite UI of all time.

Pre-CU was indeed great!

What I miss is the addon in WoW which allowed us to have even 1 slot quick slots.

Never had a better laid out UI since then.

But when we say clunky, we mean it looks and feels very much like a 1990s HTML website.

Indeed.

It confused me slightly when I first opened my inventory, I couldn't figure for the life of me where they had put the tabs.... until I realised they were in the middle of the window. Seems like a damn odd place to be placing important parts of the UI. I guess the person who designed it hasn't opened a decent browser in windows for a while?

- Tabs

- Search box (sort box / credits)

- Content (items)

Pretty easy order.