Please re-think taking away some of our decorations in the server merge?

winterjane

OP here - just wanted to thank everyone who has taken the time and trouble to reply. I do understand better now that there is some rhyme and reason involved, whereas before I didn't (the only server transfer I ever experienced up to now was when Trask Ulgo was forced to merge with Progenitor, and Strongholds were not ofc an issue back in those ancient days!).

Although I still feel that the effect being forced on people is unfun and unfair, at least it no longer feels like a rather random bit of meanness/thoughtlessness - and I find that helpful. So thanks all :)

Today , 02:32 PM | #26

OP here - just wanted to thank everyone who has taken the time and trouble to reply. I do understand better now that there is some rhyme and reason involved, whereas before I didn't (the only server transfer I ever experienced up to now was when Trask Ulgo was forced to merge with Progenitor, and Strongholds were not ofc an issue back in those ancient days!).

Although I still feel that the effect being forced on people is unfun and unfair, - and definitely agree with others that Bioware could have been a lot clearer about this - at least it no longer feels like a rather random bit of meanness/thoughtlessness - and I find that helpful. So thanks all

Edited by winterjane

One follow-up question, with apologies in advance if I am again being thick. The game already tracks the number of decoration *unlocks*, which is displayed as 'you have unlocked X/100' of any given decoration. I'm unclear why the number of unlocks cannot be used to easily show how many items you 'should' possess. Unless the game doesn't distinguish between unlocking an item (clicking on an unbound one) and 'copying it'?

One follow-up question, with apologies in advance if I am again being thick. The game already tracks the number of decoration *unlocks*, which is displayed as 'you have unlocked X/100' of any given decoration. I'm unclear why the number of unlocks cannot be used to easily show how many items you 'should' possess. Unless the game doesn't distinguish between unlocking an item (clicking on an unbound one) and 'copying it'?

The game does not note how the "unlock" was obtained, whether it was legitimate or "copied", unfortunately.

As an example, Johnny has 20 basic chairs "unlocked" on server 1 and 2 basic chairs "unlocked" on server 2. If he transfers a character from server 1 to server 2, he will have 20 basic chairs "unlocked" on server 2, although 18 of those "unlocks" are only copies.

Honestly curious - are there many decorations that would actually be affected by this? I went back and looked at what I have in my own inventory. It seems like you're allowed to own up to 999 copies of a decoration. I have several GTN kiosks on the same server so that doesn't seem to be an issue either. What decorations have much stricter limits?

To me what it sounds like, is if you have xx amount of decorations and you are merged with other characters that have xx amount is if when you character's/legacy are combined they wind up going over the limit of xx amount of decorations you will not be able to add more decorations.

Yea most decorations are 999 but there are some decorations that you can only have 5 or so of a decoration and so if you have legacies on more servers that are being combined together it is possible that in combining those together you will exceed the limit allowed for certain decorations and that might be where the problem is.

The basic chairs I believe is just an example.

Honestly curious - are there many decorations that would actually be affected by this? I went back and looked at what I have in my own inventory. It seems like you're allowed to own up to 999 copies of a decoration. I have several GTN kiosks on the same server so that doesn't seem to be an issue either. What decorations have much stricter limits?

Some paintings (the ones from the Christmas time, which is their anniversary, one of the vendors has a limit of 5), even some of the pvp decorations may have stricter limits, not sure about those as I don't pvp so don't have those.

Every decoration can potentially be affected by this because it makes NO difference what the maximum number of a given decoration is. The determination of how many decorations you would have is based on the highest number of a given decoration "unlocked" on a given legacy.

Examples 1:

The Feluca Stato (spelling) has a maximum of 4 per legacy. If a player has 4 of that decoration unlocked on any single legacy, then he would have 4 of them after the merge. However, if that player has only unlocked 1 of them on each of 5 legacies, then he would only have 1 of them unlocked and available after the merge, despite the fact that he had 5 of them across 5 legacies before the merge.

Example 2:

The luxury spa is a rare decoration that usually goes for at least 50,000,000 and I have seen listed as high as more than 100,000,000 credits on the GTN. If a player bought 2 of them on different servers, and has only 1 "unlocked" on each of those two legacies, then he would only have 1 after the merge, not 2, despite the fact that he bought 2 of them.

I would guess that highest potential for decorations to be affected would be the high priced, rare decorations that players may have acquired multiple copies of across multiple legacies, though.

I've gone both routes. (I have legacies on all servers)

- Transferring a char from an advanced legacy nets you a copy of everything you have in there.

- Starting from scratch, however, is quite a different story. Acquiring a cargo hold or a guild bank is quite the feat - or cost, if you buy if from CM.

Server merge works like a weird super transfer. It would be all too easy to just add stuff that has been copied around. Unless they make an exception for "virgin" legacies but frankly that's probably asking for a lot.

We've been asking for ther merger. It's either this - with some unavoidable level of inconvenience - or our precious decos will be shut down along with the rest of the game.

So which is it?

Edited by BenduKundalini

I've gone both routes. (I have legacies on all servers)

- Transferring a char from an advanced legacy nets you a copy of everything you have in there.

- Starting from scratch, however, is quite a different story. Acquiring a cargo hold or a guild bank is quite the feat - or cost, if you buy if from CM.

Server merge works like a weird super transfer. It would be all too easy to just add stuff that has been copied around. Unless they make an exception for "virgin" legacies but frankly that's probably asking for a lot.

We've been asking for ther merger. It's either this - with some unavoidable level of inconvenience - or our precious decos will be shut down along with the rest of the game.

So which is it?

Some people were asking for mergers, not everyone was.

IMO, there are still come issues that should be addressed before those mergers occur. IMO, this is one of them.

How will people react to losing decorations that they obtained legitimately, possibly including decorations that required real money expenditures? How many will walk away from the game if they lose decorations?

Edited by Ratajack

Why not just raise the limit on all the decorations to 999?

Doesn't help if you shelled out the credits or whatever to buy 999 of some decoration on each of two soon-to-be-merged-together servers. (I'm talking about the case where I ALSO didn't place any of them.)

After the merge, will I have 999/999 or 1998/999? That's the thing that's got everyone a bit wibbly. And if I paid for 1998, what happens to the resources I expended to buy 999 of them if it does go to 999/999.

The same argument applies below the limit as well. I have 10/999 and 15/999 that I bought separately After the merge, I will have (using the currently published policy) just 15/999, and the other 10 of the 25 that I bought are gone. That's potentially 1200 Cartel Coins if I bought those 10 on the CM directly, so their server merge would in this case wipe out stuff I paid about ten bucks for... But if I cloned the 10/999 legacy onto the other server, then bought another 5 over there, then keeping the sum would mean that I bought 15 and now have 25...

They are kinda screwed either way.

To me what it sounds like, is if you have xx amount of decorations and you are merged with other characters that have xx amount is if when you character's/legacy are combined they wind up going over the limit of xx amount of decorations you will not be able to add more decorations.

Yea most decorations are 999 but there are some decorations that you can only have 5 or so of a decoration and so if you have legacies on more servers that are being combined together it is possible that in combining those together you will exceed the limit allowed for certain decorations and that might be where the problem is.

The basic chairs I believe is just an example.

Ah, thank you for the explanation. I didn't realize some decos did have much smaller limits. That does seem as though it could be very problematic.

Some people were asking for mergers, not everyone was.

IMO, there are still come issues that should be addressed before those mergers occur. IMO, this is one of them.

How will people react to losing decorations that they obtained legitimately, possibly including decorations that required real money expenditures? How many will walk away from the game if they lose decorations?

You won't. If you have

1 gazebo, 3 imperial desks and 519 chairs on legacy A and

2 gazebos only 32 chairs, 2 imperial desks and a statue of the agonized on legacy B

you'll end up with 2 gazebos, 519 chairs, 3 imperial desks and a statue of the agonized on the merged server.

If you separately bought the imperial desks on each server for example, ie bought it 5 times, but the highest amount you have on one server is 3, then you indeed lose 2. Bummer. But it's not as if the biggest legacy overwrites the smallest : it absorbs it, and any extras are added up. Takes the best of each and that's the new total.

As for mergers, again, without them, you don't lose a couple decos you lose ALL : game over !

Edited by BenduKundalini

You won't. If you have

1 gazebo, 3 imperial desks and 519 chairs on legacy A and

2 gazebos only 32 chairs, 2 imperial desks and a statue of the agonized on legacy B

you'll end up with 2 gazebos, 519 chairs, 3 imperial desks and a statue of the agonized on the merged server.

If you separately bought the imperial desks on each server for example, ie bought it 5 times, but the highest amount you have on one server is 3, then you indeed lose 2. Bummer. But it's not as if the biggest legacy overwrites the smallest : it absorbs it, and any extras are added up. Takes the best of each and that's the new total.

As for mergers, again, without them, you don't lose a couple decos you lose ALL : game over !

You say "You won't" and then admit that people may very well lose decorations.

Many decorations are rare and expensive, with many requiring real money expenditures, and it's "OK if people lose them"?

You say "You won't" and then admit that people may very well lose decorations.

Many decorations are rare and expensive, with many requiring real money expenditures, and it's "OK if people lose them"?

If the alternative is losing the whole game ? A thousand times yes.

Plus, what's the point of buying uber expensive decos you already have on another server ? Just send a char over with the additional copy for a measly 90 CC and get two instead of 1 +1 separate.

Edited by BenduKundalini

If the alternative is losing the whole game ? A thousand times yes.

I'm guessing that you aren't in the category of people who WILL lose decorations which would explain your lack of empathy for that group.

Plus, what's the point of buying uber expensive decos you already have on another server ? Just send a char over with the additional copy for a measly 90 CC and get two instead of 1 +1 separate.

First, transfers weren't always 90 CC. When transfers were 1000 CC, which would have been more economical--purchasing 5 GTN kiosks for 120 CC each, or purchasing one kiosk at 120 CC and then transferring characters to the other 4 servers at 1000 CC per transfer?

Second, some players may have made their purchases on different servers via the GTN using credits. That in no way makes those decorations any less rare, nor does it make it any more acceptable for BW to take away those legitimately obtained decorations.

I'm guessing that you aren't in the category of people who WILL lose decorations which would explain your lack of empathy for that group.

First, transfers weren't always 90 CC. When transfers were 1000 CC, which would have been more economical--purchasing 5 GTN kiosks for 120 CC each, or purchasing one kiosk at 120 CC and then transferring characters to the other 4 servers at 1000 CC per transfer?

Second, some players may have made their purchases on different servers via the GTN using credits. That in no way makes those decorations any less rare, nor does it make it any more acceptable for BW to take away those legitimately obtained decorations.

I do plan ahead.

While you make a point (and I knew you would) even when transferring at a cost of 1000 and I have done it, odds are you bring along WAY MORE than 5 GTNS with you. Thus it offsets the price.

Again, the alternative is : stack anything like crazy. Yay, 85 GTNS. Plus, let the game die.

I learned the non-stackable way of things the hard way : I was lucky enough to get the grand statue of mandalore in cantina crates not once, but twice. I consumed the second in a legacy that didn't have the first one yet. Ouch.

I do plan ahead.

While you make a point (and I knew you would) even when transferring at a cost of 1000 and I have done it, odds are you bring along WAY MORE than 5 GTNS with you. Thus it offsets the price.

Again, the alternative is : stack anything like crazy. Yay, 85 GTNS. Plus, let the game die.

Why spend the CC's on more than one GTN kiosk? One GTN kiosk in a faction neutral stronghold is all that is needed.

Could you put one in each stronghold or even more than one in each stronghold? Sure, but why spend the CC's to do so?

The same goes for many other decorations.

I learned the non-stackable way of things the hard way : I was lucky enough to get the grand statue of mandalore in cantina crates not once, but twice. I consumed the second in a legacy that didn't have the first one yet. Ouch.

So, you still have two of those statues, both legitimately obtained. although only one in each legacy.

If both of those legacies are on the same US coast, or on servers of the same EU language, then after the server merge, you will only have ONE of those statues, although you obtained TWO of them by legitimate means. Feels good, right?

Edited by Ratajack

Why spend the CC's on more than one GTN kiosk? One GTN kiosk in a faction neutral stronghold is all that is needed.

Could you put one in each stronghold or even more than one in each stronghold? Sure, but why spend the CC's to do so?

The same goes for many other decorations.

So, you still have two of those statues, both legitimately obtained. although only one in each legacy.

If both of those legacies are on the same US coast, or on servers of the same EU language, then after the server merge, you will only have ONE of those statues, although you obtained TWO of them by legitimate means. Feels good, right?

Do you realize that's why I told about the ultra rare statues? = I know how it feels.

And yes, I have about a dozen GTNs, half a dozen guild banks, and a billion or two worth of decos. Do I want to spend money again to get stuff I already have, when it would only cost me a tiny fraction of their cost = the equivalent of a few decos - 1000 CC - or even just one dejarik chess, 90 CC, to get a copy of it ALL ?

Nope.

Edited by BenduKundalini

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.