The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Jerky Camera Movement Since 5.4a Patch

dannymcgee

Severity: B (besides being very annoying, makes it impossible to precisely control character aim and movement in high-intensity situations, e.g. PVP combat)

Frequency: 100% of the time

Steps:

1. Login to the game with any character

2. Walk the character forward through the game world while holding the right mouse button and smoothly moving the mouse back and forth to the left and right

Description:

When using the right mouse button to rotate the camera/character, particularly while moving the character in any direction via WASD, the camera experiences jerky movements, suddenly speeding up and then slowing down in short bursts, in a way that doesn't at all match the smooth and consistent movement of the mouse.

It feels a bit like an over-sensitive mouse acceleration feature, only there doesn't seem to be any correlation between the camera speed and mouse movement speed. I.e., moving the mouse much faster does not result in higher mouse sensitivity. Lower framerates seem to exacerbate the problem, but it still occurs even with a steady 60fps.

Specs/Background:

Windows 10

Razer Deathadder Chroma, set to 300 DPI and 0 Acceleration in Razer Synapse software

Windows mouse settings: Speed slider set to 6th notch from the left, "Enhance pointer precision" unchecked

I've added the following line to my [username]_Account.ini file: "Controls_CameraRotationSpeed = 0.05"

AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz

AMD Radeon R9 290 1GB

24 GB RAM

This issue did not occur in v5.4. Possibly related: the general mouse sensitivity seems to have increased significantly since this patch. Previously, a CameraRotationSpeed setting of 0.075 resulted in very comfortable mouse sensitivity (for my preferences). Now, 0.05 is still a little bit too fast, jerky issues notwithstanding.

Video:

Video of the camera behavior is here:

I'm unable to record my actual mouse movements, but I was making a concerted effort to move the mouse as smoothly and consistently as possible, so any sudden speed-ups in the footage are not due to faster mouse movement, but due to the issue described here. Edited by dannymcgee

Paying attention to this some more, I'm actually reasonably certain now that it is tied to framerate. When my framerate is low and steady, the mouse sensitivity feels very high. When the framerate is high and steady, the mouse sensitivity feels very low. The reason turning the camera causes the sudden jerkiness is because of framerate changes due to different things being rendered on screen.

I had similar happen to me on Oricon earlier. My comp is not the best so 60 fps can be a marvel.

However Oricon is one of those places that gets a high FPS for some reason and the A and D camera swing was wild. A single tap sent it 45 degrees or more. In my ship too.

Busier places like the fleet it was normal.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to chime in, I both turned off nameplate scaling (I usually don't like to have nameplates on anyway, except for enemy players) and toyed with some of the fluff settings (shadows, grass density, etc). I was still getting some jerky motion after turning off Nameplate Scaling, though it did seem to offer some slight improvement. So far, dropping Shadows to low has done the trick. My system is no slouch, but super fancy shadows still seem a above it's pay grade. Anyway, smooth as butter now, and a not even noticeable (for me anyway) drop in quality.

So even if your rig's numbers say it shouldn't have nay problem with SWtoR, if you're still having the issue, give dropping those pesky shadows a try.

In most cases playing in fullscreen (window) mode should alleviate most stutter, you can have name plate scaling back on too.

There is also this at present https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1004600/geforce-drivers/all-games-stuttering-with-fps-drops-since-windows-10-creators-update/103/ if applicable

patch expected in october - https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/09/11/windows_10_stuttering_bugs/

Edited by OwenBrooks

Cheers for that link Owen. Had to eyeroll at this:

"The flaws, reported to Microsoft by gamers who had installed the Creators Update" .. I had no choice in the matter. The thing installed itself.

Solution.. well I'm uninstalling the giant pile of rubbish that is called Windows 10, and reverting to Win 8. As it stands SWTOR is intermittantly unplayable through lag spikes