The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Curved Lightsabers

I've looked though the various lightsabers in the game, and for someone building a RP character who wants curved lightsabers their options are almost nonexistent. The few "Curved" hilts in the game barely have any curve to them, and those are frankly overwhelmed visually by junk on the sabers emitter. I recommend something akin to the designs of Dooku or Ventress. Clean and elegant and Obvious in the shape of the curve to the hilt.

The curved hilts have a legends history as being the perfect weapon to couple with the Form 2 "Makashi", lightsaber dueling form. A form favored by Dooku in recent movies, animated series and comics.

Simple and curved? The only one I know of is the Inquisitor's "Kallig's" sabre - a reward part-way through the story. These days it's legacy bound, so you just need to get a Sorc or Sin far enough through the story to get one, then pass it to the character you want. It matches the curve of a female character's hip.

I would need 2 Inquisitors on a single server to get 2 of them for a Marauder ... if they would even work as a off hand weapon .. so you see my issue there ...

Yeah, but you don't need to *finish* the story to get this - if memory serves, it's given somewhere near the end of Chapter Two. Get it, put it in storage, delete the character, create a new one, do it again. And reflecting on it, you'd have to use a Sorc, since a Sin gets the double-blade version. (My only Sin did this way back when, at a time when (a) it was character-bound, and (b) all Inqs got the single-blade version.)

And if it is main-hand only, you drop the project at that point.

Also, from a "technical" standpoint, the whole idea's a bit off. Fencing swords, especially foils and épées, have curved hilts for ergonomic reasons (it's even *called* an ergonomic grip, ffs), but those reasons aren't applicable to lightsabre fighting. Foil and épée fencing are both "point" disciplines. That is, they use the point way more than the edge. A lightsabre, on the other hand, is almost the definitive "edge" sword: it consists entirely of edge, with neither flat(1) nor back(2), and the advantages of a curved hilt in fencing just don't apply.

OK, I get that it's an aesthetic thing (and my appreciation of Kallig's singlesabre is based on its looks, too), but as a practical thing, I have to say it's off.

(1) The approximately flat faces of a blade.

(2) Double-edged weapons don't have a back, but e.g. a cavalry sabre, cutlass, or katana ("samurai sword") has one cutting edge and one blunt non-cutting edge. That's the back.

And reflecting on it, you'd have to use a Sorc, since a Sin gets the double-blade version.

You get to choose, unless they changed it very recently. I always pick the basic one, since, well, that's what I imagine Kalligs weapon would be.

The Executioner's Lightsaber, a tier 3 command crate drop, has the same mesh as Kallig's Scorching Lightsaber. Doesn't seem to be a rare drop, I got a couple of them last week when I finally got my main to command rank 300.

So they should be available on the GTN. If you're on Vanjervalis Chain, I could sell one or two to you.

The other curved hilt lightsaber I know of is the Vengeance's Unsealed Lightsaber, which I like very much, and is, in my opinion, quite underrated. It should be available as well.

Btw. you get Kallig's Scorching Lightsaber at the end of chapter 1 of the Inquisitor story line, so the grind for that isn't too bad. It's main- and offhand. Just checked. :)

Edited by DesertusRatticus

The Executioner's Lightsaber, a tier 3 command crate drop, has the same mesh as Kallig's Scorching Lightsaber. Doesn't seem to be a rare drop, I got a couple of them last week when I finally got my main to command rank 300.

So they should be available on the GTN. If you're on Vanjervalis Chain, I could sell one or two to you.

The other curved hilt lightsaber I know of is the Vengeance's Unsealed Lightsaber, which I like very much, and is, in my opinion, quite underrated. It should be available as well.

Btw. you get Kallig's Scorching Lightsaber at the end of chapter 1 of the Inquisitor story line, so the grind for that isn't too bad. It's main- and offhand. Just checked. :)

The only problem with the Executioner's Lightsaber is when it's held the curve is backwards in the hand, so it isn't held properly. On top of having the same junk on it's emitter that Kalig's saber has .. can't they just make a clean simple curved saber >.<

Edited by HggundamReviews

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
Yeah, but you don't need to *finish* the story to get this - if memory serves, it's given somewhere near the end of Chapter Two. Get it, put it in storage, delete the character, create a new one, do it again. And reflecting on it, you'd have to use a Sorc, since a Sin gets the double-blade version. (My only Sin did this way back when, at a time when (a) it was character-bound, and (b) all Inqs got the single-blade version.)

And if it is main-hand only, you drop the project at that point.

Also, from a "technical" standpoint, the whole idea's a bit off. Fencing swords, especially foils and épées, have curved hilts for ergonomic reasons (it's even *called* an ergonomic grip, ffs), but those reasons aren't applicable to lightsabre fighting. Foil and épée fencing are both "point" disciplines. That is, they use the point way more than the edge. A lightsabre, on the other hand, is almost the definitive "edge" sword: it consists entirely of edge, with neither flat(1) nor back(2), and the advantages of a curved hilt in fencing just don't apply.

OK, I get that it's an aesthetic thing (and my appreciation of Kallig's singlesabre is based on its looks, too), but as a practical thing, I have to say it's off.

(1) The approximately flat faces of a blade.

(2) Double-edged weapons don't have a back, but e.g. a cavalry sabre, cutlass, or katana ("samurai sword") has one cutting edge and one blunt non-cutting edge. That's the back.

As a fencer, I highly disagree. The foils I used never had a curved hilt. And a lightsaber is the ideal epee weapon. It takes like no force to cut or burn with it. And the tip is just as deadly (if not more so) than the edge, look at how Qui Gon died.

Edited by _Snake_