Why Was Oricon Never Made Solo-Friendly?

Ylliarus

Same, I am no longer interested in responding to this thread because most people can only resort to laughing at others for asking a perfectly reasonable thing

That is not that true, sure a bit of joking around is there, but nothing personal. People see this as a game where you group up, I would say the balance between single and multiplayer is way on the side of the single player in this game.

If anything the raiders and OPS players in this thread proved to me that the Operation environment is still as elitist and nasty as it was when I tried out operations the first time all those years ago. It's what pushed me away then and it's what keeping me away now.

I am sorry that you have encountered the wrong ppl, but you cannot really judge the community based on 1 failed ops attempt. Mainly when this happened in the past where the operations were at level and harder then they are now. You even have bolster in SM, so you can go in naked!!

I wanted to find the thread about that guild offering help with ops but they already stopped doing it since they left the game. I would offer help my self, but all my friends left the game too so..... at least you can be sure that there is less and less raiders in the game :)

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shall have to look up your guild then, since I'm on TRE too. :cool:

Feel free to /w me when you're playing then. :rak_03:

I'm usually logged on Eliadil, my main assassin.

Guild is currently away due to vacation, but I'll see what I can do for you, there still is some friend around that could do the trick. ;)

That is the point, you would not believe how many people I have encountered in the game that were playing totaly wrong, but defended what they were doing and even said they are in the game from day 1!!

The biggest issue I have seen is that players have for example only been using the "cool looking abilities" not doing rotations, just using the cool ability, then even waiting, doing nothing till it comes off cd.

One of my friend, who usually just do RP when he's logged wanted to try PvE for a while, I laughed really hard when he told me that Vigilance Guardian only have one dot. The main thing isn't the "cool looking" ability. It's the whole Discipline Path that they don't read and understand. Some people complained that when an ability was modified by the discipline path, it wouldn't update the tooltip of the ability IG (I think it does that on WoW). I don't know if it would be a good thing, but yeah, main problem is that when you're a casual player (no raid, no pvp, only heroics, daily, easy FP and class story) the game doesn't learn and encourage you to... well, be efficient at your class.

If anything the raiders and OPS players in this thread proved to me that the Operation environment is still as elitist and nasty as it was when I tried out operations the first time all those years ago. It's what pushed me away then and it's what keeping me away now.

Well, what did I do to inspire you that ? I even proposed to clear those with you ! :o

What I love here is that... Nobody answered when I talked about the operation story chain quest.

Again, for me the daily area and quest of Oricon is the whole story you get to experience as a single player. Not the Operation story quest.

The only error BW did for me was to add directly the Operation story quest into your log just after you completed the heroic. The daily area was introduced fine, the Operation story is well... like every operation story ? It is a whole other quest, that shouldn't be mixed with the daily. I didn't see you complain about the story you missed with EV, KP, SnV, TfB or every other Operation that was released before, and as incredible as it may seem, those quest are plain visible on the fleet and are tied to Oricon's Operation. Like I said, this quest is an end to an operation quest chain, and shouldn't be tied directly to the daily area thing. But BW did it like that for advertising purpose, to make peoples more interested in Operation.

If you argue about wanting to see every story of the game, I suggest you find peoples that are willing to do these Operation with you, because you'll need those in order to achieve the completion you seem to want badly. ^^

Edited by supertimtaf

Same, I am no longer interested in responding to this thread because most people can only resort to laughing at others for asking a perfectly reasonable thing and making assumptions about me or others in this thread which are lightyears from the truth or just talking down to people from their high horses. If all the people that oppose this are solely capable of using strawman arguments and ridicule to counter this, then a productive discussion will not happen. But that is the easiest way to tear down an idea, isn't it? To just laugh at it, laugh at the OP and those who support the OP. It takes less effort and thinking than providing sensible, thought out and discussion-worthy counter arguments.

Also, once and for all, this is the true meaning of an MMO, not your delusion "this is an mmo, everything is group content, solo play is against the rules":

"A multiplayer video game is a video game in which more than one person can play in the same game environment at the same time. Video games are often single-player activities, putting the player against preprogrammed challenges or AI-controlled opponents (which lack the flexibility of human thought). Multiplayer games allow players interaction with other individuals in partnership, competition or rivalry, providing them with social communication absent from single-player games. In multiplayer games, players may compete against two (or more) human contestants, work cooperatively with a human partner to achieve a common goal, supervise other players' activity, co-op, and objective-based modes assaulting (or defending) a control point."

Playing in a group or having the focus of the content on groups is optional, it's a possibility, not a requirement.

We have given you kind advice at the beginning but you prefer to keep being stubborn and ignorant in an unbelievable ridiculous way, like your supporting crowd. That's your choice but don't whine in the aftermath that people are "laughing" now (with a very good reason if someone isn't listening to advice and instead insists on what he and his tiny minority wants - a minority this game could not live/exist from to begin with). What you are looking for is a game that demands no internet connection...

Again, it is so ridiculous easy to ask a guild to carry you through both ops, you don't even need to learn a tiny bit of skill or gather some knowledge since you will be carried through it while sleeping on a palanquin, if you are uncapable to organize your own raid and gather the knowlegde to succeed.

Hell, if you would be on my server I'd offer you just this, so you finally might lose the fear where no fear is appropriate and get out of your snail shell.

The offer stands, you just need to transfer to JKS, but I'm sure you will find nice guilds/guild leaders on your server as well if you bother to actually be proactive instead of the ridiculous, selfish, ignorant and childish attempt to demand stuff that will pull ressources from things this game REALLY needs so badly on many other construction sites...things it needs to SURVIVE. What are you doing with your solo game play if the servers shut down?

One more remark: There is already WAY too much solo content in this game. When the focus on that was even raised the game began to die, remember? The game can't live from many of those solo gamer people who sub every few months to play the solo content, it lives from people who are constantly subbed and actually play an online game, a multiplayer online game, hence the monthly fee, and from the mor0ns who pay some of the wh0re prices in the CM of course. :-)

Edited by Khaleg

I honestly wonder if the raiders who have been responding here even realize how negative and nasty they come across...or if they care. They've been incapable of responding without throwing in at least one derisive/judgmental remark toward players who prefer to go solo, and they're incredibly aggressive about insisting that if people don't want to play the same way they do, they're doing it wrong and shouldn't have any other choices.

And then they wonder why solo players aren't interested in hanging out with raiders and accuse *us* of being antisocial ? Really? It would be funny, if it wasn't so sad. Raiders' negative, immature attitudes are why you don't have more people queuing up.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

I honestly wonder if the raiders who have been responding here even realize how negative and nasty they come across...or if they care. They've been incapable of responding without throwing in at least one derisive/judgmental remark toward players who prefer to go solo, and they're incredibly aggressive about insisting that if people don't want to play the same way they do, they're doing it wrong and shouldn't have any other choices.

And then they wonder why solo players aren't interested in hanging out with raiders and accuse *us* of being antisocial ? Really? It would be funny, if it wasn't so sad. Raiders' negative, immature attitudes are why you don't have more people queuing up.

Been like this for nearly 20 years and I've come to believe it always, always will be. There are extremists on both "sides" and they tend to bark and snipe at one and other which never leads to civilised discussions. It's like arguing whether chocolate is better than vanilla...

been like this for nearly 20 years and i've come to believe it always, always will be. There are extremists on both "sides" and they tend to bark and snipe at one and other which never leads to civilised discussions. It's like arguing whether chocolate is better than vanilla...

both! :D

Edited by Ylliarus

Ditto...though i do appreciate those rare few who have come forward and said "Hey, if you want to group up with us to do ops, we don't mind if you haven't done it before! We'll help!"

I think that us solo folks wouldn't be so anti-social if there were more people out there like that who put aside the need to be judgmental and actually scraped up a few ounces of patience to help out folks who aren't as proficient as they may be at group content.

As it is, I tried doing group content early on and got burned by people being insensitive jerks, so hence why I pretty much went into my shell and focused on solo content and RP.

I want to do group content....I just don't have the time or patience myself to deal with people being jerks just because I'm a noob to Ops (though not to the game itself).

Edited by feylyndiira

OMG I just had to start laughing here, which made the other ppl in the office stare at me. Anyway, that is the concept of an MMO, if you dont have friends, you can make friends, ppl even got married through swtor.

If you dont have the people just login in prime time, go to fleet, make a group, done!

MMO is never about forcing you to group, otherwise it's going to be a niche game like EQ.

Yes, Waste!

As posted above the game is lacking resources and development, ideas like these would put it even more behind schedule.

It had used its resource to bloster up the ops and did the level sync, it chose to use these contents to keep ppl. Of course they got to fix what they brought up to keep people.

Tell me where should they spend their resources if this is a waste?

MMO is never about forcing you to group, otherwise it's going to be a niche game like EQ.

I think we can safely state that by now SWTOR has become a niche game already. So that's not a real argument.

BW did it this way, some people weren't happy with it so they changed it with SoR. They never went back to the Oricon quest line. I don't mind if they do something about it, but I do not think they will and I also do not think it's a reasonable demand.

I think in the context of an MMO and how much solo stuff there already is in this game, it's more reasonable to expect people to get over this.

Again I don't mind if they change it, I just haven't seen much that convinces me that BW should spend time on changing it. Not gonna stop you from asking, but I hope I'm allowed my opinion also.

Sure, but the payout is different.

Make a brand new solo fight to wrap up Oricon and your Return on Investment is: "Yay, players can finish out that three-year-old mission chain on that one planet."

Introduce Solo Modes for Ops and your R.O.I. is getting a new tranche of players to care about Ops content, thereby both getting more mileage out of the old ones and expanding the appeal of the new ones you're already sinking a considerable amount of your development resources into (while also allowing solo players to finish out that same mission chain).

Appreciating that this would involve a greater investment, I think the way to do it "right" would be to have these Solo Mode fights be Eternal Championship-style affairs, where there are actual mechanics and even an element of challenge involved - specifically to avoid repeating the snooze-fest that is the Revan fight.

Ah, I see. A single Solo boss would be nice, just like Yavin. I thought you were talking about making DF and DP soloable, which I'd be against. But a new single boss would be a great idea to wrap things up.

This.

Coincidentally, I happen to run GF pugs for FP's but I wont go near another Op. ;)

I enjoy having the solo FP's simply because I like to take my time and actually read the content and participate in the experience. Whenever I group it tends to be so rushed and they get mad if you don't spacebar thru all the conversations.:o:o

I enjoy having the solo FP's simply because I like to take my time and actually read the content and participate in the experience. Whenever I group it tends to be so rushed and they get mad if you don't spacebar thru all the conversations.:o:o

I've actually found a new game in that regard.

How long can I clear a pug group out by not hitting spacebar during convos. My record is 6 minutes and 7 very abusive whispers.

Yup and I can't blame them if they've run the content numerous times before but I am one of those who wants to check everything out. I get yelled at for "dawdling".

So on my Sith Inquisitor, Sith Sorcerer better said that I have been playing for years now the mission on Oricon is still there.. stuck at the same exact point... left untouched... It's where you have to finish the 2 OPS in order to finish the story arc on the planet. Which is something I don't understand why it hasn't been remedied to be solo-friendly.

I don't do OPS, I don't want to do them as it's not my playstyle and I don't need the pressure of it on my shoulders. Flashpoints sure I love 'em, but I'll stay away from OPS. Which is where my issue lies with because now I will never be able to finish Oricon. Why wasn't there an alternative added to the Dread Master Arc like we had in Shadow of Revan? People could choose to play the OPS or they could do dailies instead to progress the story. So, it's not like an alternative is unthinkable and lately Iokath also has a story arc that can be supplemented with an OPS but it's not vital to continue the story. I ask therefore again, why after all this time there wasn't crafted a solution for the Oricon story arc?

Perhaps the alternative could be really easy and doing the dailies will be what is needed. A more fun solution could be making an alternative flashpoint for the Oricon OPS that allow the player to experience the raids but it's not on actual Operations level and is also soloable for those who like that playstyle. You'd be given the choice whether you'd want to complete the Oricon story through OPS or Flashpoint. The latter would also be a good preparation for those who'd eventually want to dive into the operations.

i gotta say, if you feel the pressure on your shoulders is because you are not doing the ops with the right people. find the right people and do the ops, its super easy when you have a group that enjoy the game and run with it. I recently finished my story on Oricon and its not because i didn't like the op its because i had removed the misson from my mission log lol until i noticed i had not finished it so got back there and picked up the mission and then went and did the op with my guild.

Like i said you got to do it with the right people some people are just too demanding and others doesn't pay too much attention. our guild we are in the middle we are not too demanding but are very helpful and if we fail we try again and we laugh over and over :-)

snip

Your memory of events is quite different from mine. My memory is that Oricon was sold as a major content patch. For everyone, not just raiders. I don't recall the developers ever saying Oricon was only designed to funnel people into the ops. It was a rude shock to me and a lot of other people when we finished the solo questline and instead of having the arc wrapped up we were told to go take down the Dread Masters to save the day. Had the developers ever said the quest chain was nothing more than a glorified breadcrumb quest for the operations we wouldn't have been taken by surprise. And no, the H2 does not provide an actual conclusion to the story arc, so ending the chain there doesn't wrap up the story, it just chops it off.

I'm not advocating for solo versions of the operations. (It sure would be nice though!) Like everyone else I don't believe Bioware can produce adequate new content, let alone improve old content. I'm just happy they seem to have learned their lesson. In an ideal world they would be able to go back and fix their mistakes, but the reality is they can't even release one new flashpoint without major bugs.

I've been mocking them in the thread just as bad, though. What I'm more annoyed with is people who chime in who haven't read the thread and/or are obtusely missing the whole point, and have been since the content dropped.

No. One. Has. Asked. For. A. Solo. Operation.

No. One. Has. Asked. For. The. Rewards. From. The. Operation. (except that one guy, who we all disagree with)

No. One. Wants. Your. Group. Content. Taken. Away.

Watching. YouTube. Cutscenes. With. Someone. Else's. Character. Is. Not. An. Acceptable. Solution.

Asking. To. See. Content. That. Is. Already. In. Game. And. Requires. Miniscule. Effort. To. Implement. In. No. Way. Shape. Or. Form. Harms. You. Or. The. Game. At. Large.

Gating. Story. Content. Behind. Operations. Was. So. Smart. That. Bioware. Themselves. Realized. They. Needed. To. Never. Ever. Do. That. Again.

Man, that annoyed even me. More obtuse comments and I'll have to spell everything out letter by letter.

I've been mocking them in the thread just as bad, though. What I'm more annoyed with is people who chime in who haven't read the thread and/or are obtusely missing the whole point, and have been since the content dropped.

No. One. Has. Asked. For. A. Solo. Operation.

No. One. Has. Asked. For. The. Rewards. From. The. Operation. (except that one guy, who we all disagree with)

No. One. Wants. Your. Group. Content. Taken. Away.

Watching. YouTube. Cutscenes. With. Someone. Else's. Character. Is. Not. An. Acceptable. Solution.

Asking. To. See. Content. That. Is. Already. In. Game. And. Requires. Miniscule. Effort. To. Implement. In. No. Way. Shape. Or. Form. Harms. You. Or. The. Game. At. Large.

Gating. Story. Content. Behind. Operations. Was. So. Smart. That. Bioware. Themselves. Realized. They. Needed. To. Never. Ever. Do. That. Again.

Man, that annoyed even me. More obtuse comments and I'll have to spell everything out letter by letter.

I'm tellin' ya...this is the age-old groupers vs soloers thing. It's like a red-flag subject for some people and they go all tangential when they think a solo player wants anything that doesn't require a small herd of close friends. Not everyone of course, there are extremists on both sides.

I'm tellin' ya...this is the age-old groupers vs soloers thing. It's like a red-flag subject for some people and they go all tangential when they think a solo player wants anything that doesn't require a small herd of close friends. Not everyone of course, there are extremists on both sides.

It's not just that. People just want to pick fights. The guy you just replied to said that no one asked for solo ops.

Well, various people have indeed suggested solo ops as a solution. He even replied to them himself.

But it makes no difference because I tell him that directly, he will mince words because he said ask instead of suggest.

Point is, people just want to fight on both sides. What ticks me off more than anything is people not wanting to properly explain their points but rather just disagree to disagree.

I personally really don't care either way. If they do something about it, I'm fine. If they don't I'm fine.

You want to get rid of the Oricion quest out of your log. I want to get rid of the KotFE and KotET quest logs of my characters that are part of it and I never want to do that solo content again. I guess I just think I'll have to live with that, as much as it bugs me. I'd grind dailies for a month to get rid of those quests rather than actually play through those chapters. Not because I hate story but because I hate that particular story.

I'd like them to do something about that too, but I'm definitely not holding my breath.

Edited by Tsillah

It's not just that. People just want to pick fights. The guy you just replied to said that no one asked for solo ops.

Well, various people have indeed suggested solo ops as a solution. He even replied to them himself.

But it makes no difference because I tell him that directly, he will mince words because he said ask instead of suggest.

Point is, people just want to fight on both sides. What ticks me off more than anything is people not wanting to properly explain their points but rather just disagree to disagree.

I personally really don't care either way. If they do something about it, I'm fine. If they don't I'm fine.

You want to get rid of the Oricion quest out of your log. I want to get rid of the KotFE and KotET quest logs of my characters that are part of it and I never want to do that solo content again. I guess I just think I'll have to live with that, as much as it bugs me. I'd grind dailies for a month to get rid of those quests rather than actually play through those chapters. Not because I hate story but because I hate that particular story.

I'd like them to do something about that too, but I'm definitely not holding my breath.

Which is what I meant by the age old bickering. :) It's a polarised issue that gets people all heated up and they lose track of what is actually being said and revert to a whoooooole lot of knee-jerking.

I think there Yavin4/SoR solution (OP alternative) was the best way to go. Use already existing content to substitute for OPs.

The way I see it, if it can be avoided making people just "have to live with it", it's a good thing. There are other quest lines that I HATE (to the point where I have to psych myself up to do them) but at least I can do them. The issue I have here, and only here (for me), is that in the midst of a quest line was an OP. That's it. I'm not even all that fussed about it but I never scorn attempts to resolve issues that annoy.

I don't expect that I'll love everything in a game. The Oricon thing irked me because (when I first encountered it long ago) I had no idea that I would get hauled up short having to do an OP. Once I figured that out, Oricon and I parted company permanently. No biggie.

Aside from the OPs every part of oricon is soloable just the heroic area requires thought to navigate

Not just "thought" for me, physical reasons and situational reasons (sometimes I have to go /afk instantly to help someone here). I'm not appreciated in groups, understandably. Only objection I have is that there was no warning the first time I went through that an OP was going to be needed to move forward in that story line. Had I known, I would just not have started it.

Aside from the OPs every part of oricon is soloable just the heroic area requires thought to navigate

Yeah but the concern is that the story line quests end with ops quests. Not if there's enough solo content.

I remember when the quest chains for the macrobinoculars and all came out, people were also annoyed they had to do heroic 4 quests at the end of it. I thought that was particularly poor design. I did like the quest chains and even though I have no problems doing group content it's actually been a pain from the start to get groups for it and I'd rather see those quest chains as something that should've been solo quests till the end.

I'd do them today if they didn't have that issue.

At the same time there is this heroic 4 where you have to jump on the trains and I quite enjoyed that by itself, but it should've been a flash point by itself. I thought it was a fun group activity but as a flash point that's repeatable and not as a heroic 4 in an otherwise solo quest chain.

I do think that BW should've warned people about the Oricon quests or should've dealt with it differently. I just don't really see it as a realistic request at this stage. Some people like to assume it's a simple change. I'm not making that assumption and looking at what's going on with the game today, I definitely don't think anything's simple with this game...well except the content maybe ;)

Edited by Tsillah

Same, I am no longer interested in responding to this thread because most people can only resort to laughing at others for asking a perfectly reasonable thing and making assumptions about me or others in this thread which are lightyears from the truth or just talking down to people from their high horses. If all the people that oppose this are solely capable of using strawman arguments and ridicule to counter this, then a productive discussion will not happen. But that is the easiest way to tear down an idea, isn't it? To just laugh at it, laugh at the OP and those who support the OP. It takes less effort and thinking than providing sensible, thought out and discussion-worthy counter arguments.

Also, once and for all, this is the true meaning of an MMO, not your delusion "this is an mmo, everything is group content, solo play is against the rules":

"A multiplayer video game is a video game in which more than one person can play in the same game environment at the same time. Video games are often single-player activities, putting the player against preprogrammed challenges or AI-controlled opponents (which lack the flexibility of human thought). Multiplayer games allow players interaction with other individuals in partnership, competition or rivalry, providing them with social communication absent from single-player games. In multiplayer games, players may compete against two (or more) human contestants, work cooperatively with a human partner to achieve a common goal, supervise other players' activity, co-op, and objective-based modes assaulting (or defending) a control point."

Playing in a group or having the focus of the content on groups is optional, it's a possibility, not a requirement.

I think you're making a unfair assumption that most of us who don't agree with you are elitist by nature. For the record, elitism is acting like you're better than someone because of skill or some other factor. I haven't seen people who have raided alleging that solo players are bad, I have seen them give reasons that this is not the best idea. So I'm gonna refute that.

Let me clarify why bioware does not have the resources below.

All of the things bioware would have to do to make this an operation soloable:

Compose a team of seven characters (keep in mind everyone who stepped foot on unicorn went crazy) to carry you through

Either:

1) Develop a new boss with new mechanics

2) Retune the Council fight for Solo Mode (something that has never been done on that scale)

Retune fight HPs and damage from bosses

Balance the fight so it is able to be completed by all three classes

It's basically designing another boss, and bioware already has proven they can barely keep up with doing a boss every two months. I can't remember the last patch that added something substantial that wasn't torn apart via the forums. They need to be focusing on the new content that will save this game potentially. A change like this will not do that. Why would they then do this (which will likely throw that schedule off) for content that came out FOUR years ago that only a small subset of people will go back and do this way?

I really sympathize with you. Should it have been implemented? Yes. Everyone should have access to the storylines. Does that mean correcting it is better than just accepting it in the current climate? No.

But similarly, I also wish I go back and change a few things on my 8th Grade book report, so that I could have gotten an A instead of a B. C'est la vie.

Edited by MissilyMilcasia