I still think this with the companions are still weird...

iamnotacrook

That every companion have the same abilites, animations, that you just can switch between 3 different modes on all of them, that every companion can take the same amount of heat, damage or deal the same amount of damage and heals. Sometimes i miss that for example Khem was only a tank companion or Vette was only for dps and nothing more, they both be different on how much punishment they could take. The only thing that makes me have fun with my Assasin or Juggernaut for example is soloing heroics and flashpoints so i really have a challenge to make use of my rotations, abilities and all that. Doing story missions and regular mobs and elites are just... meh.

I do not miss gearing them, but i do miss they have their own combat role. Non-force users force jump against a target in tank mode, Aric Jorgan for example or Talos. It feels wrong, even though it is nice to have a healer companion all the way when playing a squishy class.

Yup. Bioware spent a lot of time and dev pay on giving the vanilla companions different abilities depending on their specific role.

Some people were special snowflakes and couldn't survive without a permanent healer at their side from level 10 or so, so seeing as this was an excuse to cut costs for the new companions, all those unique abilities were removed.

Now that nothing solo-able is that hard, set your fave comp to DPS and carve through everything at double quick speed. A lot of the story mode can be solo-ed by your companion alone, you just have to ID the next target and disengage your brain. - Gone are the days of working towards your goal.

You simply stamp your foot and turn on the waterworks these days and someone will parachute in and wipe your behind for you.

:)

That every companion have the same abilites, animations, that you just can switch between 3 different modes on all of them, that every companion can take the same amount of heat, damage or deal the same amount of damage and heals. Sometimes i miss that for example Khem was only a tank companion or Vette was only for dps and nothing more, they both be different on how much punishment they could take. The only thing that makes me have fun with my Assasin or Juggernaut for example is soloing heroics and flashpoints so i really have a challenge to make use of my rotations, abilities and all that. Doing story missions and regular mobs and elites are just... meh.

I do not miss gearing them, but i do miss they have their own combat role. Non-force users force jump against a target in tank mode, Aric Jorgan for example or Talos. It feels wrong, even though it is nice to have a healer companion all the way when playing a squishy class.

Khem Val had a DPS stance, too. Most (maybe all, I am not sure) tank and healer companions had a DPS stance, but you needed to swap their gear to use it efficiently. The fact of the matter is that the fewest players actually used this option. I wouldn't be surprised if many never realized it existed, hidden in the expanded companion ability tab.

In my case, playing a darkness assassin (i.e. tank) it was outstandingly helpful. From the character creation on I played the character tanky, and because Khem Val is the only companion an Sith Inquisitor has for quite a while, I really needed something different than a tank companion for a tank character.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

Khem Val had a DPS stance, too. Most (maybe all, I am not sure) tank and healer companions had a DPS stance, but you needed to swap their gear to use it efficiently. The fact of the matter is that the fewest players actually used this option. I wouldn't be surprised if many never realized it existed, hidden in the expanded companion ability tab.

In my case, playing a darkness assassin (i.e. tank) it was outstandingly helpful. From the character creation on I played the character tanky, and because Khem Val is the only companion an Sith Inquisitor has for quite a while, I really needed something different than a tank companion for a tank character.

Yeah... Khem are really awesome. But.. "but you needed to swap their gear to use it efficiently. The fact of the matter is that the fewest players actually used this option. I wouldn't be surprised if many never realized it existed, hidden in the expanded companion ability tab." you mean we can do it right now or before?

Yeah this game actually used have to some difficulty and pose a challenge. Now the combat is just a snooze fest. It makes me wonder about people that actually have problems lvling or needing help with any story content. Outside of OP's everything is complete easy mode.

Yeah... Khem are really awesome. But.. "but you needed to swap their gear to use it efficiently. The fact of the matter is that the fewest players actually used this option. I wouldn't be surprised if many never realized it existed, hidden in the expanded companion ability tab." you mean we can do it right now or before?

You could do it before 4.0. There was a little "+" icon next to the the companion abilities to access their extended abilities. Most of them were toggles, whether or not they should use a certain ability. (E.g. Khem was a walking soft stun breaker, but you could disable the most annoying abilities.)

There were toggles mutually exclusive toggles regarding a stance a companion could take, comparable to the forms of Jedi. (I.e. you can be either in Soresu, the tanking form, or in Shien, one of the damage dealer forms, but not both.)

Yeah this game actually used have to some difficulty and pose a challenge. Now the combat is just a snooze fest. It makes me wonder about people that actually have problems lvling or needing help with any story content. Outside of OP's everything is complete easy mode.

Story missions are super easy now :p

Bioware Austin are not good at temperance. They either do nothing or they go too far.

What I think they should've done is treat the companions like character classes and allow them a switch between specs. So where Khem Val could've been like a Juggernaut and have a tank and dps spec, Ashara would have two different dps specs like a marauder (or sentinel in her case) and Talos would have a heal and ranged dps spec.

This way we would've gotten much more versatlity without losing the feel of the companion. When I see Khem Val being used as a healer, it just makes no sense to me.

The difficulty of the game has more to do with other things. The content has been dumbed down and being overleveled with level sync also makes you very powerful and so on...

Bioware Austin are not good at temperance. They either do nothing or they go too far.

What I think they should've done is treat the companions like character classes and allow them a switch between specs. So where Khem Val could've been like a Juggernaut and have a tank and dps spec, Ashara would have two different dps specs like a marauder (or sentinel in her case) and Talos would have a heal and ranged dps spec.

This way we would've gotten much more versatlity without losing the feel of the companion. When I see Khem Val being used as a healer, it just makes no sense to me.

The difficulty of the game has more to do with other things. The content has been dumbed down and being overleveled with level sync also makes you very powerful and so on...

Yes.. that sounds really better and make more sense.

Nice idea. :D And Kira would still be able to tank. :D (... because she is a shdaow for all means and purposes and shadows do have a tanking tree.)

Edited by Rabenschwinge