The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The Colouring-Horror of the New Hairstyles

Ylliarus

Excuse me Bioware for my slightly aggresive tone at the moment but this is simply preposterous especially if you consider that these forums have been bursting with commentary that the colouring of the hairstyles that are being added to the cartel market is bad. But now you went too far.

Do you call this black? Do you honestly consider this to be black?

And this is supposed to be red? Red? Really?

Yes this is light brown, but the colouring is supposed to be dark brown not light.

We have been asking for true colours for the hairstyles in a ton of threads and posts but if I look at especially the black haircolour at the moment I am seriously wondering if you're joking with us. Because that is green, it's not black, it's not even close to a shade of black. It's plain green.

People have been waiting for these hairstyles for a while and I am convinced they are popular especially due to the Lana-inspired hairstyle. I honestly wonder why it is then that you don't take the effort to have the colours be true colours, true black, true red, true dark brown. Why are you doing this? Just why? How does this look good in your eyes when black is green?

Since we are paying for these hairstyles with our own money I think it is only just to demand an answer from Bioware regarding this.

It's Nancy Drew!

Now that I look at it and compare it to images from google then yes, it is her XD but if you'd have the exact same hair colour with a vanilla game hairstyle you'd get dark brown, simple true dark brown. But this is a shade of light brown and the shades of light brown are blonde...

I've honestly not paid very close attention to the hair coloring before and after I make a new toon, and I usually go with a bright color that isn't vague to the eyes.

I'm wondering if the "black" as you've shown would actually look black under a different light (in-game)? I do notice things like skin color and armor color can change throughout the galaxy depending on the in-game lighting. Does the "black" look different in a different room or outside vs. inside?

I've actually deleted toons because the look I made in the character creator looked VERY different as soon as I got into the cutscenes and world.

Edited by aerockyul

I've honestly not paid very close attention to the hair coloring before and after I make a new toon, and I usually go with a bright color that isn't vague to the eyes.

I'm wondering if the "black" as you've shown would actually look black under a different light (in-game)? I do notice things like skin color and armor color can change throughout the galaxy depending on the in-game lighting. Does the "black" look different in a different room or outside vs. inside?

I've actually deleted toons because the look I made in the character creator looked VERY different as soon as I got into the cutscenes and world.

I can get a difference between character creator and real game, or a difference of lighting, but under no circumstance should "black" be "green". But this is not the first time people have been complaining about this, this has been with every single hairstyle that came out after the first few. It's been repeated time after time that the hair colour aren't true black or true brown. But it's almost as if Bioware took all those comments and made it even worse.

Edited by Ylliarus

So I have decided to take a look and test the "black" hairstyle in multiple lightings. It appears that black is the new green!

As this is the result of my little test.

Green. It's green, no one can say "no it's a shade of black" or "you can see a bit of black in it". This is plain and simple green and it's a bit scandalous that after all the posts and comments the devs still have decided to not listen to it and implement their own vision. We have been asking for true black and what did we get? Even a worse shade of green for a black hair colour option. I hope the Devs will come out and a say "haha, this was just a joke tomorrow it will be true black" I honestly do.

Edited by Ylliarus

Developer with old monitor, faded colors chooses colors...

You would think a shop with so much graphics work would know that you have to use newer monitors when working on colors.

No but I honestly would really want to get an answer from Bioware where it went wrong. Because look at this comparison between a hairstyle that is similar to the Lana one. It baffles me how someone could say "this is the same shade of black".

Edited by Ylliarus

So I have decided to take a look and test the "black" hairstyle in multiple lightings. It appears that black is the new green!

Green. It's green, no one can say "no it's a shade of black" or "you can see a bit of black in it". This is plain and simple green and it's a bit scandalous that after all the posts and comments the devs still have decided to not listen to it and implement their own vision. We have been asking for true black and what did we get? Even a worse shade of green for a black hair colour option. I hope the Devs will come out and a say "haha, this was just a joke tomorrow it will be true black" I honestly do.

"Anne Shirley, what have you done to your hair? Why, it's green!"

"But I didn't mean to dye it green, Marilla. [...] He said it would turn my hair a beautiful raven black - he positively assured me that it would."

...okay, in all seriousness... what even. o_o It was vaguely understandable with the dark greenish-black seen in some other hairstyles, but...that can't even be called brown. That's greenish-blonde in some lights, just flat-out green in others. What? Wow...that's...bizarre.

"Anne Shirley, what have you done to your hair? Why, it's green!"

"But I didn't mean to dye it green, Marilla. [...] He said it would turn my hair a beautiful raven black - he positively assured me that it would."

You deserve a medal for the best response to this debacle! I couldn't think of a scene more applicable to this horror that is the colouring of new hairstyles. Just look at this comparison, it is plainly preposterous.

Coming soon to the Cartel Market...true-black hair color...2300cc

Coming soon to the Cartel Market...true-black hair color...2300cc

That will be the day I am cancelling my sub and quitting this game for good :p no but truly, this is just scandalous you know. They have been hyping these hairstyles and I can understand that shades and hair don't always interact perfectly, but turning black, normal true black into green? Like if you look at all the new hairstyles they've been releasing you can see the black colour is turning more and more into green with each new style. Like, seriously what is going on there? Can we help? Do they need people to test colours? I'll gladly volunteer to help!

It's been brought up over and over and over again, and yet they continue to release new hair styles with the horrid colors. How can they not see that the vanilla hair styles color way better then the new hairs styles. How can they not see it...

Conclusion? They don't care.

It's been brought up over and over and over again, and yet they continue to release new hair styles with the horrid colors. How can they not see that the vanilla hair styles color way better then the new hairs styles. How can they not see it...

The person who does the colors is one of these people, not sure which:

Best Hair Colors

For real, I always defended Bioware but now? Now they simply showed me they don't care about the fact we've been asking for normal true hair colours with the new hairstyles. It's that or they consider their vision to be better, but I wonder what world they live in then if they consider green to be black...

I don't know why they keep releasing hair styles with the coloring problem. I don't see why they don't just give them the same colors as vanilla hair. Is it a glitch? Just not trying? An inside joke?

Either way, its not worth the price until they fix it imo.

No but honestly I am sitting with my hands in my hair trying to figure out why Bioware won't give the new hairstyles the same look from the vanilla game. Keith, Eric, Charles, anyone else from the Dev team I am begging you for an answer. Can either of you please explain to us why the hair styles we are given through the Cartel Market have such terrible colouring problems? Please, I really think we deserve an answer and it's not to drag you or be mad at you, we're just trying to understand what the problem is. Why can't Lana's hairstyle be true black but Koth's on the other hand is nicely black? Even Senya's has far better colouring than Lana's. Please, explain it to us so we may understand...

I didn't even receive the hair. Bought it, the coins were removed I clicked to claim and got an error (try later) the pack disappeared from the unclaimed tab, but I didn't get it in my inventory. Tried relogging and closing the game and gone through fp twice and it still hasn't appeared.

Typically I'm willing to keep a very open mind when it comes to new character customization options, simply because I feel that it's in everyone's best interest to encourage Bioware when it comes to offering more.

However the blatant lack of care for quality here is absolutely inexcusable. Neither of these colours are even remotely similar to what is supposed to be their counterpart- and until that changes, I will not be purchasing them.

I didn't even receive the hair. Bought it, the coins were removed I clicked to claim and got an error (try later) the pack disappeared from the unclaimed tab, but I didn't get it in my inventory. Tried relogging and closing the game and gone through fp twice and it still hasn't appeared.

I recommend calling customer service and letting them know the exact details of what happened. The same thing has happened to me in the past and they restored it quickly and relatively easily (just had to have as much detail as I could find, like my CC log, which character I purchased it on (not which account), when I attempted to buy it, what were the error messages, etc.

Typically I'm willing to keep a very open mind when it comes to new character customization options, simply because I feel that it's in everyone's best interest to encourage Bioware when it comes to offering more.

However the blatant lack of care for quality here is absolutely inexcusable. Neither of these colours are even remotely similar to what is supposed to be their counterpart- and until that changes, I will not be purchasing them.

Okay so this thread was moved to Bug Report? So... does this mean that the colouring of the hairstyles is considered a bug? If it's a bug then that would explain a lot as to why we're getting such ugly colouring for the hairstyles... otherwise I have no idea why this thread is moved to Bug Report XD

I have a question for Bioware: why was this thread moved to bug report when it isn't about a bug but about the hair colour of the new Lana hairstyle being absolutely horrible? Please, tell me if you consider it a bug because then I will understand why you put this thread into this subforum. Now it seems to me as if you were uncomfortable with the critique being given and therefore moved it to this forum to kill it off... I am sorry, but it does really seem that way and if that is the case then you're killing the thin layer of trust that was formed regarding developer communication.

So someone from the Dev team please answer this question: is the colouring of the Lana hairstyle considered to be a bug and is that the reason why this thread was moved to this subforum?

I have a question for Bioware: why was this thread moved to bug report when it isn't about a bug but about the hair colour of the new Lana hairstyle being absolutely horrible? Please, tell me if you consider it a bug because then I will understand why you put this thread into this subforum. Now it seems to me as if you were uncomfortable with the critique being given and therefore moved it to this forum to kill it off... I am sorry, but it does really seem that way and if that is the case then you're killing the thin layer of trust that was formed regarding developer communication.

So someone from the Dev team please answer this question: is the colouring of the Lana hairstyle considered to be a bug and is that the reason why this thread was moved to this subforum?

I don't expect they'll actually respond to you, you know...

Edited by XhrisShan

If BW moved this thread to Bug Reports, I'm quite sure that we can assume that this is not working as intended. I mean, this is definitely not black. And not just in a "badly coded black" way. It's a completely different colour.

Maybe all the new coders EA hired for BW didn't know about the previous hair colour system. Like, they don't know that 10 in the character screen means black hair.

They just coded some colours for the new hairstyle and now someone realised that their self-made colours don't match the original colour system.

BW, how close to the truth am I? ;)

Or maybe there is just a simply typo in the opacity value? 10% instead of 100%. :D (It actually looks like this to me, 10% black over the original blonde.)

The red colour looks red to me though. Maybe not a red the OP prefers, but it's definitely red.