Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW

Renifizzle

Hello everyone! Several posts have been removed from this thread for straying off-topic. As you continue to participate in this thread, please remember to heed the Rules of Conduct.

As a general reminder:

• Insults - Please do not resort to or use them in any way in your posts. Posts should be productive, not destructive.
  • Trolling - Please do not post messages that are purposefully designed to provoke, antagonize, or otherwise elicit a negative emotional response.
  • Agree to Disagree - Be respectful of others' viewpoints even if they are opposite of your own. Discuss disagreements constructively.
  • Flag, Don't Fight - Utilize the Flag Post feature to report possible rules violations, rather than responding to or fighting them.

Thanks for your cooperation!

I saw yellow and I was liek "OMG! AN OFFICIAL RESPONSE!! I MIGHT START BELIEVING IN GO... Ooh, its just one of those posts"

Gief official response to this situation please. Slicing is a dead crew skill. As a casual gamer who might get a dozen hours a week of gaming maybe, I really enjoyed how it worked (though it might have been a bit overtop, it wasn't THAT overtop). Don't make me have to start gathering materials and hawking them over the auction house like some marketer. I want to play, period.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw yellow and I was liek "OMG! AN OFFICIAL RESPONSE!! I MIGHT START BELIEVING IN GO... Ooh, its just one of those posts"

Gief official response to this situation please. Slicing is a dead crew skill. As a casual gamer who might get a dozen hours a week of gaming maybe, I really enjoyed how it worked (though it might have been a bit overtop, it wasn't THAT overtop). Don't make me have to start gathering materials and hawking them over the auction house like some marketer. I want to play, period.

LOL I did the same thing! :(

I like how people that picked a proffesion that will obviously will be nerfed cry now. And they even dare to come with some poor excuses as "players will not have enough money to afford basic stuff".

I've just hitted lvl50 last night. Still have not went to the skill trainer (have the skills up to lvl 49) but I have 650k CR and my professions are 400/400/400 (Artifice/Treasure Hunting/Archeology). I doubt I'll have to spend all 650k on skills and speeder costs if I remember well from what I saw on Voss are between 60k and 100k with some vehicle costing 1.5kk CR but that will come later :)

All my play on the GTN is selling few items for 5-8k for net profit around 50-70k (all those I got from Underworld Trading). I gave a friends of mine some stuff like companion gifts and some gears that I could have sold.

EDINT: I have sold like 10 items for 5-8k each for total income of 50-70k. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

As it comes to the "Space missions" I have did each of them up to those that require lvl 3 gear just about 2 or 3 times. Still need upgrades to my ship to do the better and don't want to endlesly repeat those I've did. So not that big income frome here too.

Now to the slicers - I want to point you to Treasure Hunting. There is missions that net you lockboxes but I can't remember them giving much of a profint - most of the times it's a net loss. Still maybe you don't know but the missions you get are at random and you can get in to a situation where you have choice of only or mostly such missions that bring you lockboxes yet nobody cries about that.

So in conclusion - you picked it up because it was all better than the other profesions with the direct money gain. Now you have to work a bit more for your money. Get used to it - thats how all the profesions work.

Edited by mrshadowbg

A lot of people in WoW had a lot of gold. That didn't reduce the number of gold farmers.....

People having a lot of gold is a more modern phenomenon. Was not the case in prior to the Burning Crusade expansion when dailies started coming out more. Otherwise you had to farm farm farm farm farm.

Well the sad thing is now that though slicing can return missions can return profits theres no point running anything but the Moderate ones now. Why because they nerfed the higher yield missions into the ground.

Yes the higher yeild mission returned to many credits 110 creds/min is to much for Bountiful (lvl 25-40 missions) and Rich missions (90% of them) when the Moderates where returning ~15-20 creds/min.

Instead of reducing these missions to say ~20-25 & ~25-30 creds/min they reduced them to ~9-12 creds/min in some cases.

Really the need to scrap their formula for Slicing credit boxes and use this one:

Return = cost+(lvl of box*yield*time)+(variation factor) then apply crit factors to this.

Any tuning then could be done just by changing the 4 yield constants.

Edited by Kotli

I like how people that picked a proffesion that will obviously will be nerfed cry now. And they even dare to come with some poor excuses as "players will not have enough money to afford basic stuff".

I've just hitted lvl50 last night. Still have not went to the skill trainer (have the skills up to lvl 49) but I have 650k CR and my professions are 400/400/400 (Artifice/Treasure Hunting/Archeology). I doubt I'll have to spend all 650k on skills and speeder costs if I remember well from what I saw on Voss are between 60k and 100k with some vehicle costing 1.5kk CR but that will come later :)

All my play on the GTN is selling few items for 5-8k for net profit around 50-70k (all those I got from Underworld Trading). I gave a friends of mine some stuff like companion gifts and some gears that I could have sold.

As it comes to the "Space missions" I have did each of them up to those that require lvl 3 gear just about 2 or 3 times. Still need upgrades to my ship to do the better and don't want to endlesly repeat those I've did. So not that big income frome here too.

Now to the slicers - I want to point you to Treasure Hunting. There is missions that net you lockboxes but I can't remember them giving much of a profint - most of the times it's a net loss. Still maybe you don't know but the missions you get are at random and you can get in to a situation where you have choice of only or mostly such missions that bring you lockboxes yet nobody cries about that.

So in conclusion - you picked it up because it was all better than the other profesions with the direct money gain. Now you have to work a bit more for your money. Get used to it - thats how all the profesions work.

Wow. Blind much?

People are saying that they didn't expect it to be nerfed and certainly not to this level. Why should I assume that a crew skill which has the intent of earning me credits was actually designed only to drain my credits?

Your missing the entire point. It was a crew skill made for casual players that don't have the time to play so much that they are at level 50 now. And your also bypassing the whole point that not everyone wants to work the auction house to make their earnings. And those ridiculous prices you probably set are only being purchased by people who have a few millions already from when Slicing was broken (yes, it was too good, no its not in line with other professions now). Your just spouting random stuff either to provoke someone or because your utterly ignorant. Next time, read what others have already wroten. Honestly.

In the words of my friend Christian Bale: "YOUR A NICE GUY, YOUR A NICE GUY! But that don't cut it when your ********tin around like that"

Do remember that slicing was designed for casual players to easily earn credits so they could buy stuff, but not to the extent it was being abused by people with multiple characters.

Well the sad thing is now that though slicing can return missions can return profits theres no point running anything but the Moderate ones now. Why because they nerfed the higher yield missions into the ground.

Yes the higher yeild mission returned to many credits 110 creds/min is to much for Bountiful (lvl 25-40 missions) and Rich missions (90% of them) when the Moderates where returning ~15-20 creds/min.

Instead of reducing these missions to say ~20-25 & ~25-30 creds/min they reduced them to ~9-12 creds/min in some cases.

Really the need to scrap their formula for Slicing credit boxes and use this one:

Return = cost+(lvl of box*yield*time)+(variation factor) then apply crit factors to this.

Any tuning then could be done just by changing the 4 yield constants.

The best idea I've seen was to have the mission level have to be equal or less than your character's level.

Still profitable, slows it down.

I think slicing may simply need a full revamp on what it gives. I know it's been said multiple times before. I took slicing not for the money, but the chance at schematics. However, schematic drops were low, and the fact I could make a profit was the only thing that made up for not getting those often - it let me buy the schematics I was missing when I saw them on the trader. I wasn't the hard core ' OMG slicing every character make money now now now!' person when it came to slicing, it was simply something to use to fund my crafting.

Treasure Hunting boxes generally give items - it's why they're able to sell some things off to get their cash.

Slicing gave credits, credits and... maybe if you were lucky a schematic if you went for the lock boxes (though the same applied for the augments).

I have to agree with some of the earlier posts, change up what the missions themselves are - schematic missions with the *chance* of getting the boxes, missions that maybe overlap something with underworld trading and give resource boxes that have items relevant to slicing.

Odd point that some people may not be taking into acct - those lock boxes we got so heavily nerfed are also given as quest rewards (at least for BH) so now that class is overall seeing a drop in the credits given to them off their quests. Fairly certain some others were getting them for certain quests as well.

I'd like to see those boxes changed in name/type and given their old credit value back. There's no reason that quest rewards for everyone should suffer because some people decided to fully abuse a system that was put into place.

Slicing needed a nerf, but it didn't need one that made it worthless.

[Edit]: I'm also aware it was done so that casuals could get the credits they needed for things without the massive time sinks. However that was abused by many of the people that say they made millions off it, then screamed for a nerf.

Edited by Manathayria

All my play on the GTN is selling few items for 5-8k for net profit around 50-70k (all those I got from Underworld Trading).

And you think people buying those had their money from where ?

Those are the players that took sliceing and not UT.

How are your sells going on right now after the nerf ?

Your missing the entire point. It was a crew skill made for casual players that don't have the time to play so much that they are at level 50 now. And your also bypassing the whole point that not everyone wants to work the auction house to make their earnings. And those ridiculous prices you probably set are only being purchased by people who have a few millions already from when Slicing was broken (yes, it was too good, no its not in line with other professions now). Your just spouting random stuff either to provoke someone or because your utterly ignorant. Next time, read what others have already wroten. Honestly.

I disagree in a sense. slicing is not in line with the other gathering skills. it currently may still net more then an equivalent gathering skill once you factor in market price for the mats you get from said other skills.

And i think that the nerf wasn't out of place at all. And I dont understand why people dont get that. please show me how its not in line with the other skills. My new lvl 15 slicer sent his buddy ona mission that cost roughly 180 cred, and got 105 cred back in a box. the same character sent his buddy on a mission to get crystals. he returned with 3 crystals that sell for 5 for a 100 cred on my server.

You do the math. Id need to do at least 2 missions in my archeology to net what my slicing did with one mission...and That doesn't involve the Gm whatsoever for the slicing. so my slicing is currently netting me more, EVEN WITH THE NERF, and I don't have to wait for the GM to get my money.

Don't see why this is so difficult for people to grasp. y'all gotta stop focusing on the missions. mission are only half of the skill. Im making good money on my slicing right now because im NOT doing what everyone is whining about. Im not doing the missions and Im farming. ironically, im also not doing missions on my archeology either. because....wait for it...

I WAS LOSING MONEY

so i just farm now, and amazingly, im making money! lets focus on the broken state of craftign in general people, and the broken economy. this argument on the slicing missions is getting old....

And you think people buying those had their money from where ?

Those are the players that took sliceing and not UT.

How are your sells going on right now after the nerf ?

To make sure I'm understood this time - I have sold like 10 items each for 5-8 for total profit of 60-70k. Not EACH item for profit of 60-70k.

Again sorry for the missunderstanding.

got a horrible nerf, and the player base is angry.

<watches subscription fall out of the sky, doa.>

(Knee-jerk reaction hits enemy for 1 million subscription.)

yes all 20 of u slicer QQers on the forums who keep reposting the same argument over and over for why you should be rich for nothing is gonna really wake BW up... they make most of there money from the forum trolls, FACT.

And i think that the nerf wasn't out of place at all. And I dont understand why people dont get that. please show me how its not in line with the other skills..

If you're going to bother to comment you might want to actually read more of the thread. People have illustrated MULTIPLE times why it's not in line. Other class gathering skills that produce items we can buy on a vendor for a 1:1 comparison produce far, far greater profits than what slicing is doing.

And i think that the nerf wasn't out of place at all. And I dont understand why people dont get that. please show me how its not in line with the other skills. My new lvl 15 slicer sent his buddy ona mission that cost roughly 180 cred, and got 105 cred back in a box. the same character sent his buddy on a mission to get crystals. he returned with 3 crystals that sell for 5 for a 100 cred on my server.

What was said above AND you get to use those crystals for crafting. Slicing only gave you credits, that didn't have any other use then actually being credits, ergo you will have more credits by not using it.

Its just not the same thing and thats what you need to realize (also, those crystals would have sold for more if slicing wasn't broken).

I am sorry i admit didnt read 70 pages of posts , but i do not understand the whining about slicing when you get recipes and missions that sell for quite some money or can be used by yourselves.

It might not be as it was before , but also dont forget that you are able to open all the slicing nodes as well for extra cash where you don`t have to pay any mission costs.

yes all 20 of u slicer QQers on the forums who keep reposting the same argument over and over for why you should be rich for nothing is gonna really wake BW up... they make most of there money from the forum trolls, FACT.

They may not, but I can assure you the mass exodus from the slicing profession will.

I play on a full server, and I can assure you, slicers quit.

There are very few missions on the GTN, and there are slicing nodes as far as the eyes can see.

I'm keeping it because it took too dam long to raise, in hopes they will fix it back.

During Beta the Devs said it was "working as intended". So...

Regardless if you feel it needed a nerf or not, the point is now, Biowares OVER reaction to the QQ is bad news for the majority of us who hate Blizzard and WoW for doing the SAME thing, ruining a long ago awesome game.

If this is how the Bioware devs handle this game, I too won't make it past the free 30 days either.

What was said above AND you get to use those crystals for crafting. Slicing only gave you credits, that didn't have any other use then actually being credits, ergo you will have more credits by not using it.

Its just not the same thing and thats what you need to realize (also, those crystals would have sold for more if slicing wasn't broken).

Why SLICERS always forget that they get mission discoveries and some patterns too? Those are sellable for profit and quite big as I see it. But ofcorse it's easy to forget about such things when they require you to actualy do more than 3 clicks and wait 30 mins right?

The purpose of SLICING is just that - patterns, mission discoveries and when none of those procs you hardly loose anything but your companions time. You get net profit if you slice in the world. That's it and I can't see why slicers can't accept it?

P.S. Don't come with stuff like low prices on patters and mission discoveries - those will go up once some of the slicers drop it and the demand goes up when more peoples level.

To make sure I'm understood this time - I have sold like 10 items each for 5-8 for total profit of 60-70k. Not EACH item for profit of 60-70k.

Again sorry for the missunderstanding.

Yes I understand that.

All I said still stands. Those were the money from sliceing. Or mamey You don't understand what I'm saying.

Here it goes. People payd for Your good with money they got from sliceing.

And you didn't answered My question at all. How are your sells now post nerf ?

And to add even more, what you said is a proof that sliceing wasn't OP if you can make that kind of money with UT.

Edited by Golarz

3. As many people have pointed out, the large nerfs in availability of nodes, coupled with the nerfing of said nodes, means that compared to the credits from things you're killing just to get to them, nodes are a tiny drop in the bucket.

I made 17.5k in about an hour on Hoth from those nodes.

Did they nerf it too much? yes. Was it OP in its original form? yes.

The people who are quitting from this were NEVER going to be pleased enough to stay. the ability was OP, now its not and your quitting. I get it, a bunch of people want to be economic gods, but the vast majority doesn't want to be ruled by a 1% slicer population. You won't find an MMO that caters to you and your kinds, "style". BW didnt make this change in response to forums either btw, they noticed a huge problem in how the economy was developing and fixed it before it was too late.

as for blah blah money talks im quitting, that what you said when you didnt get into the stress test weekend, what you said when you werent in day one for EGA, what you said when you saw we had server ques, what you said when you thought the sides were imbalanced, what you said when you thought there was no grace period... slicing is gonna be on this list real soon i can assure you...

I am sorry i admit didnt read 70 pages of posts , but i do not understand the whining about slicing when you get recipes and missions that sell for quite some money or can be used by yourselves.

It might not be as it was before , but also dont forget that you are able to open all the slicing nodes as well for extra cash where you don`t have to pay any mission costs.

Actually it's up to 230 pages now... this thread is part 2, part 1 got maxed out at 160 pages. But let me break it down for you...

The main issue is they essentially took a profession they intended to work like it did and destroyed it because of a vocal minority in the forums. They were told all through beta that these payouts from slicing seemed a bit high but they did nothing. So it must be working as they intended it to work, right?

All of a sudden it goes live like this and the little kiddies come out of the woodwork to complain (mostly because they did not take up slicing themselves and are too lazy to level another character) about it and now the profession is pretty much worthless unless you sit there continuously and do it seeing as they have removed nodes on some planets too (thus negating the "Oh just farm the nodes" argument).

On the surface people might look like they are QQing in the forums over slicing but they are seeing the bigger picture. Because, in absence of anything from BioWare on this other than signposts and reminders of forum rules from the Golds, it looks like they caved to people complaining about how OP slicing was (mostly from lower levels who have no idea what costs are like at 50) and they destroy it... a week after launch. It sets a rather bad tone for how BioWare will be handling things in the future.