The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Kotor and Revan Nostalgia

Like, many basic fanboys of my time :o I have an obsession with Revan, and I actually saw this freakin cool new vid on Revan done by I think a relatively new youtuber. And it like goes into some really interesting parts of the lore covering from Kotor 1 to, beyond and even touching on that slaves infinite engine part in the SWTOR storyline.

I haven't seen someone go this far in depth into a character before and I think it's meant to be like a multichapter series.

Anyway here's a link and I bid you go watch it if you love the character or want to know more about it:

There's a bit there actually about how Revan wanted to strengthen the republic but I never understand how by throwing them into a second war straight after the mandos and forcing jedi into the darkside was going to do anything but weaken them? I mean following the events of the swtor teaser trailer storyline it gives off the impression that the republic were wholly unprepared even so, does that mean Revan made a major mistake or was it that the 300 year gap is what caused the Sith to throw the republic off-guard?

Edited by TheLuminousGlow
better title

I don't think Darth Revan cared much for the Republic itself, Revan was trying to conquer the Republic while leaving key areas (shipyards) intact for what I assume would have been a war between the Sith Emperor's Empire and Darth Revan's Empire.

The Republic didn't know about Sith Empire, only Revan, Kreia and The Exile knew there was something out there.

I don't think Darth Revan cared much for the Republic itself, Revan was trying to conquer the Republic while leaving key areas (shipyards) intact for what I assume would have been a war between the Sith Emperor's Empire and Darth Revan's Empire.

The Republic didn't know about Sith Empire, only Revan, Kreia and The Exile knew there was something out there.

Well that's the thing, I didn't think he had much love for it to begin with but there's a lot of sources that say he was trying to strengthen them against a future proper sith invasion and disagreed with Malak's approach to a complete onslought. Hk47 was used to assassinate key political opponents as well rather than mainly military assassinations.

Wouldn't a battle between empire's be risky however? with both answering to the dark side's call, wouldn't sith from Revan's side be tempted to follow what they might forsee as the true sith rather than Revan? Where as rallying the Banners of light behind you versus an evil unknown seems like a stronger position to fight against. Why even bother succumbing the galaxy to your sith empire just to fight another sith empire built on the same values, it just perturbed me.

Are you kidding? The Sith in both Kotor and Swtor have been seen fighting one another.

Then they would fight for dominance, I guess they would follow whoever they believed to be stronger. Assuming Darth Revan wasn't betrayed by Malak, then I suppose it's possible Revan's Empire would have gone of to Dromand Kass, starting the war with the Sith Empire.

Revan obviously cared for the Republic initially to defy the Jedi Council to go to war against the Mandalorians.

Edited by Paulsutherland

Revan wanted to conquer the Republic and make it stronger because he was arrogant enough to think that he could do that. And he thought only his rule would allow the Galactic Empire to withstand the assault from Vitiate's Sith. I think one of Revan's biggest flaws in all three games was hubris.

That said, you should keep in mind Revan's motives were retconed a little with each game. Kotor 2 first introduced the idea that Revan wanted to conquer the Republic for it's own good in order to prepare it for "the True Sith". And Swtor introduced the premise that originally it was the Sith Emperor that sent Revan and Malak back to attack the Republic on his behalf. I think the implication was that Darth Revan broke free of his control somewhere along the way and decided he would rule the galaxy himself, and prepare his new Empire for when the other Sith Empire invaded.

Edited by OldVengeance

Revan wanted to conquer the Republic and make it stronger because he was arrogant enough to think that he could do that. And he thought only his rule would allow the Galactic Empire to withstand the assault from Vitiate's Sith. I think one of Revan's biggest flaws in all three games was hubris.

That said, you should keep in mind Revan's motives were retconed a little with each game. Kotor 2 first introduced the idea that Revan wanted to conquer the Republic for it's own good in order to prepare it for "the True Sith". And Swtor introduced the premise that originally it was the Sith Emperor that sent Revan and Malak back to attack the Republic on his behalf. I think the implication was that Darth Revan broke free of his control somewhere along the way and decided he would rule the galaxy himself, and prepare his new Empire for when the other Sith Empire invaded.

I didn't really take into consideration revan's motives being retconed per game; that's a good point actually. His character's really been made so wishy-washy over the course of swtor as well, with his third faction later on with the whole Shadow Of Revan story arc, so it does seem he didn't care about the republic or the sith even, but rather his own dominion.

I didn't really take into consideration revan's motives being retconed per game; that's a good point actually. His character's really been made so wishy-washy over the course of swtor as well, with his third faction later on with the whole Shadow Of Revan story arc, so it does seem he didn't care about the republic or the sith even, but rather his own dominion.

I must say, Revan's motives being retconned each games got pretty annoying in the end:

-First we were led to believe that he was simply a Dark Jedi taking up the mantle of Sith Lord and conquered the galaxy for himself.

-But then it turns out (According to Kreia) that Revan was actually intent on "repurposing" the Republic into a Sith Empire to oppose the attack of "the True Sith" that might eventually come.

-AND THEN it turns out that when invading the Republic, Revan was being controlled or influenced by Vitiate all along and his plans would have actually weakened the Republic overall, allowing for a much earlier invasion.

Pretty sure that very soon, Ghost Revan will come out and explain that he was influencing stuff from the Future to cause the events of KOTFE/KOTET and the death of the Emperor and KOTOR 1 was just the first step of his master plan --'

I must say, Revan's motives being retconned each games got pretty annoying in the end:

-First we were led to believe that he was simply a Dark Jedi taking up the mantle of Sith Lord and conquered the galaxy for himself.

-But then it turns out (According to Kreia) that Revan was actually intent on "repurposing" the Republic into a Sith Empire to oppose the attack of "the True Sith" that might eventually come.

-AND THEN it turns out that when invading the Republic, Revan was being controlled or influenced by Vitiate all along and his plans would have actually weakened the Republic overall, allowing for a much earlier invasion.

Pretty sure that very soon, Ghost Revan will come out and explain that he was influencing stuff from the Future to cause the events of KOTFE/KOTET and the death of the Emperor and KOTOR 1 was just the first step of his master plan --'

Lmao at the last bit, imagine.. although I wouldn't put it past the Bioware writing team :D

Lmao at the last bit, imagine.. although I wouldn't put it past the Bioware writing team :D

I know, I shouldn't give them ideas.

Also, final plot twist: Revan actually is Ben Solo/Kylo Ren (Long hairs, torn between light and dark, it fits, like totally) who plans to bridge Legends and current canon using SWTOR's final expansion.