Missing Companion Suggestion

***Correction: The title should say "Suggestions" not simply "suggestion."***

It's not a secret that a lot of people want their companions back. I understand that they can't all come back in a mass migration. Keith has said that we're going to start seeing more returns, though it doesn't look like anyone is returning with 5.3. Either way, I think we can assume the returns will be a bit of a slow trickle, which means some players still have a long wait before they get their favorite back.

My suggestion is that the dev team place an npc on the Alliance base on Odessen that offers occasional updates on the search for your companions. If not that, then maybe add an update option to the terminal. Just give people something to hold on to. As a story player, I found it very unbelievable that my Jedi knight didn't ask about the search for her missing companions more often, especially considering that she was married to one of them. I played through all of KotFE and KotET antsy about my companions.

I would also like to humbly request that missing companions be one of the weekly topic discussion at some point, and that we get a little more communication on the subject in general. It still feels like we hear crickets when we ask about the missing companions and that makes it difficult to remain patient and hopeful. I know the team is working on class balance and pvp related issues, which is good. I personally don't pvp, but I get that the community felt ignored and needed some tlc. Just, can we please get a little more communication about our missing LI's at least?

Edited by DuchessKristania

I think the best way to return them at this point is en-mass. Perhaps as a way of getting back to Empire vs. Republic we find out that all the rest have been captured by the opposing side and in a highly secret prision for years. We obviously would then go rescue them. Not how I originally would have drawn it up, but it's time to get them all back in game.

I think the best way to return them at this point is en-mass. Perhaps as a way of getting back to Empire vs. Republic we find out that all the rest have been captured by the opposing side and in a highly secret prision for years. We obviously would then go rescue them. Not how I originally would have drawn it up, but it's time to get them all back in game.

I wholeheartedly agree that they all just need to come back at this point, but I'm trying to be realistic about it. Personally, I like the idea of having to rescue my Doc and Vector. Let's of fun drama for a story player to tinker with. I just don't think they'll do it. I'm extremely disappointed that we've heard nothing on when the next companions will return. It's just been vague statements about wanting to bring them back, which appreciate that it was acknowledged, but I'd like to see a sort of companion road map. Something that tells us that they really are working on it.

Absolutely not. Each remaining companion deserves the same level of story focus as the companions who returned earlier. Quality is worth waiting for. If a poor return is put into the game, it's not going to be revised or upgraded later - the dev team has enough other things to do. It'll always be poor. Our companions deserve better.

Edited by Estelindis

Absolutely not. Each remaining companion deserves the same level of story focus as the companions who returned earlier. Quality is worth waiting for. If a poor return is put into the game, it's not going to be revised or upgraded later - the dev team has enough other things to do. It'll always be poor. Our companions deserve better.

They do deserve better. I don't mind non LI's being returned via Alliance Alerts, but LI's should get fully voiced reunion scenes.

Yeah I totally agree with the OP. Getting updates on our LI don't necessarily even require new voice acting (although it would still be nice). Knights and Consulars can ask Choza Rabaat about their old crew and he speaks in Ithorion murmuring, all you'd need is more stuff like that.

Agreed, I really don't think they're going to go back and make it better. Being patient is probably going to be more rewarding!

I agree. They need to return the love interests and important companions with a proper story.

I really wish we'd get a little more in depth communication on this topic. It's been a long wait and I think it's not unreasonable to ask for something of a roadmap on how they plan on bringing them back, and at what kind of pace. Honestly, I want them back, but even more frequent updates and dialogue, both in and out of the game would make the wait easier.

I'm hoping that this thread can provide some constructive feedback that might get an open dialogue with the dev team. I'd be pretty easy to please, really. Just give me a reunion with my LI, (Vector and Doc are my priorities) and one heck of a reunited at last kiss. I'm holding out on taking my agent through until Vector has returned.

Ideally, the returned companions would have continued involvement, but the first priority is tha they return. Btw, can ou customize the returned companions the same as you could before KotFe? I believe my T7 was, but I don't have a trooper or sith warrior so I don't know about Quinn and Dorne.

I couldn't disagree more.

My fave comp is Malavai Quinn. And I can honestly tell you I'd rather wait longer for a proper return than have this shoddy, disappointing, 6-minute "reunion" in which even customisation didn't work.

My guess is some people would rather wait more than get a massive disappointment, such as Dorne and Quinn return. No proper return is pretty much the same as bringing them through Impatience Terminal on Odessen, which everyone can do at any time.

I couldn't disagree more.

My fave comp is Malavai Quinn. And I can honestly tell you I'd rather wait longer for a proper return than have this shoddy, disappointing, 6-minute "reunion" in which even customisation didn't work.

My guess is some people would rather wait more than get a massive disappointment, such as Dorne and Quinn return. No proper return is pretty much the same as bringing them through Impatience Terminal on Odessen, which everyone can do at any time.

Quinn won't even show up at my terminal!!:mad: or anywhere else.

Quinn won't even show up at my terminal!!:mad: or anywhere else.

Ironically, characters that have access to the terminal but didn't do Iokath yet (or won't at all) can get him and Dorne.

Fingers crossed they will really fix it in the next week patch.

Ironically, characters that have access to the terminal but didn't do Iokath yet (or won't at all) can get him and Dorne.

Fingers crossed they will really fix it in the next week patch.

Ugh, it's beyond silly. But yeah, hopefully it'll be fixed next week.:o

I hope companion returns will end up being one of the weekly discussions. I'd really like to have some back and forth with the dev team on this topic. I get that pvp and class balance concerns are getting their day in the spotlight, but ithe companions are something a fair few players are pretty concerned about. Edited by DuchessKristania

After Elara's return ( and the traitors) being so poorly done, and having waited so long for it.....frankly I don't trust them to return them correctly so just pull the bandage and lets get this over with. Return them all enmass and don't both with any more bad stories to do it. They clearly don't get it, and never will. If they must do something more slowly just make alerts. But lets get this over with already. Its literally been over a year and a half real life.

Edited by Sargrith

Maybe we can shift the conversation to constructive ideas rather than mass return vs. one at a time. Not that anyone is being rude or anything,, but maybe if we keep this constructive we'll get some feedback and interaction from Keith or Eric.

I just don't want the thread to spiral into something that becomes white noise complaining. I've been watching how the interaction works and it seems like the threads that get response and results from the dev team are the ones that have some solid and executable ideas.

Maybe at some point there could be an information gathering mission for people to play through? Just some little thing that focuses on the fact that the character's loved ones are still missing? Realistically, and from the way the game has been geared lately, I'd say it would be something the Outlander would do with either Theron or Lana. A little side quest to follow a lead.

Don't get me wrong, I want them back, but if it's going to take time it would be nice to have some stuff that makes them still seem like a part of the game in some way.

My suggestion would be to listen to the players and make a way for them to come back en masse...

This isn't about the Dev's and their little story-line, it's about what their customers want...just like any other business with serious professionals running it.

It was either a stupid or willfully ignorant idea to take them away in the first place. Admit you made a mistake and move the **** on...

Edited by Narasil

Maybe we can shift the conversation to constructive ideas rather than mass return vs. one at a time. Not that anyone is being rude or anything,, but maybe if we keep this constructive we'll get some feedback and interaction from Keith or Eric.

This comes across as grandstanding. You want attention and so you pick a topic that might get it. But then want to shut people down who just want a quick fix and done because that idea wont get you the attention you crave.

We've given them enough time to return the campions and they have failed to do so. They willfully returned ones no one cares for, and held back the ones we do want. Its just a ploy or feels like one, and it's annoying at this point. Just give them back, seriously having to wait and then getting what we did with Elara....yeah not worth it. So just hey they got lost but now their found here they all are. Done, end of the story and about dang time.

This comes across as grandstanding. You want attention and so you pick a topic that might get it. But then want to shut people down who just want a quick fix and done because that idea wont get you the attention you crave.

We've given them enough time to return the campions and they have failed to do so. They willfully returned ones no one cares for, and held back the ones we do want. Its just a ploy or feels like one, and it's annoying at this point. Just give them back, seriously having to wait and then getting what we did with Elara....yeah not worth it. So just hey they got lost but now their found here they all are. Done, end of the story and about dang time.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come off that way. I should have chosen my words more carefully. I apologize and will try to do better in future comments.

I want them back quickly, but I'm not sure I agree that just dumping them back in is the answer. That being said, if it's a mass dump or no return, I'll take the mass return. Still, I'd prefer a nice return.

I'd really just like to see the devs make the topic of companion returns one of the weekly discussion topics so we can get some in depth information on what the plan is. I think more communication on the topic would help the morale concerning the companions. A time table would be nice, but probably not particularly likely or doable.

Probably not going to happen.

Charles in another thread on Feedback:

>Companion returns had to be put on the backburner to achieve these changes, and my original plan to do entire chapters for each of them just aren't feasible at this point, so we're currently working on plans to get them back as expediently as possible. <

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9339708#edit9339708

I just used the machine, worked great and apparently the old ones that come from the machine have advantages the new ones do not have.

i did that with my Jedi Consular. As much as he liked Qyzen, he wanted most of the old crew back.

With a view to being constructive, I made a specific suggestion some months ago that I will repost here.

Many of us would like more of our old companions back, especially romanceable ones. It has been confirmed that no companions are returning with the new expansion. I suggest that, just as BW tided us over for a while with mail from our romanced companions, they could tide us over another little bit by letting our characters send replies.

Our romanced companions sent mail to our characters' "accounts" in spite of believing them to be dead or missing. For a long time, our characters did not receive the mail, but eventually they did. The precedent is thus established for mail to be sent without perhaps being seen for a long time, depending on the recipient's circumstances. So our own characters could just as well send some mail to their loved ones, even if it won't be seen.

The "classic conversation" system could give us various options from which to choose when composing the mail. As we would not be having a conversation with anyone, and the main character herself or himself is silent, no voice acting would be required, just writing (and whatever simpler cinematic elements are required in the classic system).

In terms of what the mail might say, I'm sure the writers could think up some wonderful options, expressing hope, trust, despair, anger, loneliness, or whatever. Perhaps the main character says that they expect the mail to be seen one day, or maybe they've given up and simply want to get some things off their chest. Perhaps they note that they've asked Theron/Lana/whoever to try to find the companion but nothing's turned up, or maybe they say that the Alliance is so pressed for time and resources that they couldn't ask agents to seek out the companion. Maybe they express trust that the companion must be involved in something truly important to still be off the scene, or maybe they worry that the companion's circumstances must be truly dire to keep them away. Perhaps they make reference to things the companions said in their original mail. I'm sure there are plenty of possibilities much better than my ideas.

Just a thought to keep people tided over. It's hard for our poor characters who still miss their romanced companions, and I've often seen people post that looking for the companions is the first/only thing their characters would actually do on waking up and escaping. While the story of the game can't actually be all about the old missing companions, at least mail could give a nod to them, by giving the option to at least be able to express some wishes, thoughts, and feelings, in a relatively low-budget way, until the companions could eventually be brought back, whenever that's finally possible.

That's actually a pretty good idea. Not needing voice work might open up a lot more potential options for things to say, and that could make a lot of difference.

With regards to bringing back our companions en mass or not, I have to agree with those that don't think that's a good idea. Bringing them back with a disappointing story is bad, but bringing them all back at once with even less of a story is even more disappointing.

Although to be perfectly frank, I'm really not sure there's any good outcome here. We've waited so long now that it seems pretty unreasonable to wait longer, but if we get them back all at once in a lackluster anticlimax after waiting this long, I'd probably be even more angry.

And even those companions that did get chapters to return in often left a great deal to be desired. I still think it's a little astounding just how disappointing the Vette reunion was. And she might be the most popular companion they had.

Edited by OldVengeance

Oh, I like the mail idea! Crumbs, I'm just asking for some companion crumbs, give us something to acknowledge that they're out there. Regardless of how they're brought back I think it's safe to say that there's still more waiting to endure. At least toss a little focus on the fact that they're missing and our characters are trying to find them.