The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why is the movies the golden age of the Jedi?

kepeskvaeri

One thing that has had me scratching my head a while now is why is so the force users of the movies considered to be the finest that has ever lived? The movies themselfs does not show this since most of the stunts they pull of there seems rather commonplace and the animated series is very similar in terms of graphic impression of the jedi/sith powerlevel.

The 2003 series on the other hand is so ****** that it is almost to much.

And after episode 6 every fully trained was wormfood so how did Luke become so damn powerfull in Dark Empire but did not have a clue about how to detect force potential until the Thrawn trilogy?

My point being is that the force-wielders of this era is recieving all of this hype but all I see is the era where a JEDI COUNCIL MEMBER (Adi Gallia) gets stomped by a newbie with just a few weeks of training at most (Savage Opress) not to mention that we have a cyborg running around that a Force anything could stop with a little effort but he takes on ANOTHER 2 COUNCIL MEMBERS + 4 other jedi and stomps them all.

So with all this in mind what makes them so powerfull compared to the Jedi and Sith of the Old Republic?

And no this is not a VS thread this is just me wanting an answer to a question that has been over in the beckground of every Darth this VS Jedi that that I have come across so far.

Edited by kepeskvaeri

I'm not sure if what I'm about to say is the official explanation or just one way to interpret it, but it kind of explains this so here goes:

I'd say that the Old Republic-era power levels are exaggerated for gameplay purposes. Aside from the heavyweights like Vitiate (and I legitimately don't see how Palpatine is stronger than Vitiate, which is why I find Vitiate's power level in this game to be laughably exaggerated), the average Force user is not such an unstoppable juggernaut that they can't be defeated by a sufficiently skilled Force-blind combatant. That's actually reflected in TOR as well - there are multiple points in non-Force class stories where you have to (or at least have the option to) defeat a Force user (Smuggler gets into a fight involving a Jedi and a Sith on Tatooine, Agent fights Jadus if I recall correctly, Bounty Hunter beats Kellian Jarro and Jun Seros and can fight Darth Tormen). Not to mention the Hope trailer, and all of the awesome Trooper-on-Sith takedowns therein.

By comparison, many movie-era Force users are shown being able to mow through Force-blind mooks with relative ease and it's rare that you see a Force-blind fighter even hold their own against a Force user. When they do (Cad Bane, Jango Fett vs. Obi-Wan), it's usually through a lot more quick thinking, strategic planning, and/or running the heck away than just throwing down and being the better fighter (Jango later engages Mace Windu one-on-one and doesn't exactly come out ahead).

And I'll readily admit that Adi Gallia getting murder-headbutted by Savage Oppress was kind of stupid. Her having been killed by Grievous was a perfectly adequate death and made a lot more sense. They just wanted to have Savage kill someone with a name (preferably a name less idiotic than his) so that we could be impressed by him.

Power creep.

A lot of the EU writers keep trying to outdo each other by making their characters have more impressive abilities than the others, to the extent that we now have a force user in a prequel setting consuming entire planets. It is lack of talent and imagination on the part of the writers. Instead of writing interesting and compelling characters they give them greater magical powers.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

Power creep.

A lot of the EU writers keep trying to outdo each other by making their characters have more impressive abilities than the others, to the extent that we know have a force user in a prequel setting consuming entire planets. It is lack of talent and imagination on the part of the writers. Instead of writing interesting and compelling characters they give them greater magical powers.

When you have a piece of lore or story within a franchise you don't ask why, you just accept it as part of history within the particular universe. Any reason they might have for ''power creep'' , even if it is an end in itself, and i doubt it is, doesn't make a piece of lore untrue.

And yes that means that the ''Golden Age of the Jedi'' could mean many things not necessarily having to do with how powerful were the Jedi. It could mean for example the 1000 years of relative peace and the''absence'' of a true Dark Side threat. There are many arguments for that, one of which is there is an in-legends-universe explanation. For example many teachings and knowledge was lost during and before the New Sith Wars, especially the Dark Age. For both sides, especially the sith.

Edited by Kaedusz