In game dps meter?

mwilmore

Howdy all,

Curious, is there an in game dps meter that I can turn on through the interface editor? I don't seem to see one. If not, is that something that Bioware can put in? I'm no game coder so I might be asking for too much but it seems that it would be useful. Even a basic one would be nice.

Howdy all,

Curious, is there an in game dps meter that I can turn on through the interface editor? I don't seem to see one. If not, is that something that Bioware can put in? I'm no game coder so I might be asking for too much but it seems that it would be useful. Even a basic one would be nice.

In options, you can turn on Combat logging. Then use a parser (you can google "Parsely" for a convenient online tool) to upload the created file. It'll give you your stats.

In options, you can turn on Combat logging. Then use a parser (you can google "Parsely" for a convenient online tool) to upload the created file. It'll give you your stats.

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. I'd like to be able to work on my "rotations" and see output on where I can improve or just confirm that I'm doing things correctly. In game would be more convenient but this will do I suppose.

Go and get yourself Starparse from ixparse.com. It's the standart parsing tool at the moment and you can upload to parsley directly if you feel the need to share your fight stats/rotation/healing....

Further then that it has built in timers that help you with certain boss mechanics and the option to set a group and compare your dps/ehps after a fight (or even during).

One thing I applaud this studio for sticking to their guns on -----> NO DPS meters in game AND NO MODS.

Very refreshing to not see all the silly epeen spam around DPS every day.

For players like the OP that simply want to track and refine their rotations and skill use.... combat logging and using an outside the client parser works fine for their needs.

Clarifaction since there is some confusion here:

Parsley is a host site of parses (hence the pun name) from an Ops dummy or Ops boss that have been uploaded by users from Starparse (the parser). Great for comparing your parses to others even out of game.

Starparse is the parser tool you will need. It even has timers and other features as well. Found here.

• 1 year later...
Howdy all,

Starparse works very well, if you set graphics to full screen windowed you have the overlays.

Starparse works very well, if you set graphics to full screen windowed you have the overlays.

You don't have to run windowed mode for starparse, it'll put the overlays over non-windowed mode too (you can alt-tab between SWTOR and Starparse to see that window or enable the overlays).

Very refreshing to not see all the silly epeen spam around DPS every day.

Not sure about your meaning here. I know SWG had a DPS meter ingame that I only seen, pretty much the same premise as the Starparse overlay that I use in Swtor.

I have the overlay up all the time and see my DPS everyday. Be weird to spam Gen Chat "Hey everyone, I just got a XXXX DPS on a Flashpoint"

I'm a little slow, so could you elaborate more please?

Not sure about your meaning here. I know SWG had a DPS meter ingame that I only seen, pretty much the same premise as the Starparse overlay that I use in Swtor.

I have the overlay up all the time and see my DPS everyday. Be weird to spam Gen Chat "Hey everyone, I just got a XXXX DPS on a Flashpoint"

I'm a little slow, so could you elaborate more please?

Actually.. the core issue is DPS spammers in group chat during an FP or OP.

In some other MMOs.... like WoW.... which allows MODs (including DPS meters) it became a thing for some players to spam DPS results for a group during each step in a group encounter.. and some would in fact use it to shame other players (in chat) about their DPS numbers. It was also an epeen thing for some players to constantly brag about their DPS... even if they were not doing everything their class should be doing (like CC or kiting, etc. to help the main tank and healer with damage management). DPS trolls in other words.

Yes.. you can log your combat in SWTOR and then go outside the game and use a 3rd party webapp to actually record and analyze your own DPS and use it for refining your rotations.. and that is a good thing. And.. since you cannot easily spam DPS results in game.... the negative effects of DPS spammers/braggers/shamers are largely absent in SWTOR.

Edited by Andryah

@Andryah

Actually with starparse you can do an OPs group, where everyone sees everyones dps, so there are still ******es that use that to degrade people. But any tool can be misused. The only time someone should be called on their dps is when the spam basic attk and wont even take peoples advice on how to do even the basic rotation.

@Andryah

Actually with starparse you can do an OPs group, where everyone sees everyones dps, so there are still ******es that use that to degrade people. But any tool can be misused. The only time someone should be called on their dps is when the spam basic attk and wont even take peoples advice on how to do even the basic rotation.

Honestly, I don't even care too much about this. I pretty much only care about dps numbers when lack of DPS causes a wipe (usually to enrage, or another mechanic that requires good enough dps). Then I want to see numbers. My policy is if I join a HM OP (other than EV/KP) and Starparse isn't used, I'll give it two wipes (Starparse also has a death recap, which is ridiculously useful) otherwise I'm out.

I'd love it if BW put one in, just for people's own sake. It doesn't have to be public, just something for people to see for themselves how they are doing. Because a lot of folks breezed through solo content and so think they are great, when actually they are doing really poorly. Unlike what Andryah thinks, it's pretty rare that the person who is cc'ing adds, peeling off the healer, throwing out cleanses, and doing every other mechanic and pulling 500 less dps then someone else is gonna get crucified for it. It's the person who is literally doing none of that, and is basic attacking and pulling 2k dps that causes the boss to enrage (or someone who is doing something they shouldn't. I remember a Grob'thok HM where we were in Starparse, and one of the dps kept taunting off the tank. He was trying to pull Grob'thok under the magnet, cause the tank wasn't very good, but no one died anyway, until we hit enrage, and this guy pulled 2.5k dps, and then started blaming the tank. Dude, I get you were trying to help, but at the end of the day, you are the one who wiped us, not the bad tank. We pulled again, healers basically healed us through bad tanking, and this guy actually focused on the boss, and we killed it no problem).

@Andryah

True... but only the most persistent and malicious will do this.. and they will probably get booted from future OPs for doing so.. so this is largely self-correcting. Whereas the ability to simply spam through a mod bolted to the client is something they can troll all over the game and player base with.

Honestly, I don't even care too much about this. I pretty much only care about dps numbers when lack of DPS causes a wipe (usually to enrage, or another mechanic that requires good enough dps). Then I want to see numbers. My policy is if I join a HM OP (other than EV/KP) and Starparse isn't used, I'll give it two wipes (Starparse also has a death recap, which is ridiculously useful) otherwise I'm out.

I'd love it if BW put one in, just for people's own sake. It doesn't have to be public, just something for people to see for themselves how they are doing. Because a lot of folks breezed through solo content and so think they are great, when actually they are doing really poorly. Unlike what Andryah thinks, it's pretty rare that the person who is cc'ing adds, peeling off the healer, throwing out cleanses, and doing every other mechanic and pulling 500 less dps then someone else is gonna get crucified for it. It's the person who is literally doing none of that, and is basic attacking and pulling 2k dps that causes the boss to enrage (or someone who is doing something they shouldn't. I remember a Grob'thok HM where we were in Starparse, and one of the dps kept taunting off the tank. He was trying to pull Grob'thok under the magnet, cause the tank wasn't very good, but no one died anyway, until we hit enrage, and this guy pulled 2.5k dps, and then started blaming the tank. Dude, I get you were trying to help, but at the end of the day, you are the one who wiped us, not the bad tank. We pulled again, healers basically healed us through bad tanking, and this guy actually focused on the boss, and we killed it no problem).

You would be surprised at what a griefing troll can and will do... and in my experience.. they specialize in pettiness. ;)

I have no opposition to a personal DPS meter native to the client .. as long as there is no way to link the results to chat. :) But since what we have already in place works for the same result... I don't see them bothering to embedding a native DPS meter in the client at this point.

Edited by Andryah

• 5 months later...

Here is what killed wow and why I like SWTOR better.

Gear score, dps meters, mods and faceroll dungeons / raids attracted teenagers, and unfortunately many of them were trolls or emokids, as I prefer to call them.

If you lacked one point in Gear score, you were excluded from everything. This led to endless grinding of materials with ridicoulous low drop rates and in the end, I stopped.

So for my sake, keep the game as it is in this regard and lets all have fun. I dont care who does most dps or heals or best tanking. I care if we get the boss down or not. If we dont, analyze, guide and suggest to people how to improve. That is what is needed. Not to shove dps meters, bad gear score down our throats. It is all but educational and it is certainly anything but motivating for any player.