What if the EA launch had been different?

PlasticCupMan

General Query here everyone,

How do you think people would be reacting if they had simply let everyone in the second the servers went live?

Lets assume the worst case scenarios, Huge queues, server crashes, heavily populated areas perhaps?

I personally feel BioWare would have taken flak no matter how they handled this really, you can't please everyone all of the time.

thoughts?

and for the record I pre-orded CE sometime around late sept/ early october and don't even expect to get in by tomorrow really, which doesn't bother me at all, it is funny however to watch these forums and read all of these 'I'm cancelling my pre-order' threads, its keeping me going ;)

What this post says is true. There would have been flak either way.

Also, what is wrong with Bioware rewarding those who had enough faith to walk into their local gamestop and put 5 dollars down on a pre-order? It's not like it's monetarily unfeasible for anyone.

General Query here everyone,

How do you think people would be reacting if they had simply let everyone in the second the servers went live?

Lets assume the worst case scenarios, Huge queues, server crashes, heavily populated areas perhaps?

I personally feel BioWare would have taken flak no matter how they handled this really, you can't please everyone all of the time.

thoughts?

and for the record I pre-orded CE sometime around late sept/ early october and don't even expect to get in by tomorrow really, which doesn't bother me at all, it is funny however to watch these forums and read all of these 'I'm cancelling my pre-order' threads, its keeping me going ;)

Ya pretty much. Damned if you do damned if you dont.

If letting everyone is going to have the **** hit the fan then I think it would have been better to see what happens in beta or early access. If the login server crumbles on the 20th because it has never been fully stress tested then that could be a problem, especially if the clock is running on paid time.

If letting everyone is going to have the **** hit the fan then I think it would have been better to see what happens in beta or early access. If the login server crumbles on the 20th because it has never been fully stress tested then that could be a problem, especially if the clock is running on paid time.

I can definitely understand your final point, I assume you feel this time could have been used as a final test before the 'street launch'?

I guess BioWare feels confident about the integrity of their servers as I would assume they 'hope' to get everyone in by atleast the 19th, giving them enough data to see the performance of their login servers etc.

I won't lie though, if the servers do go down on the 20th, I'll probably give a little grin and come back to these lovely forums for some more bedtime reading material! :D