Largest Cartel Market weapons sale of the year is now live! Check it out before August 27! ×

Play to Give? Can we play and not give?

JediMasterNovar

EA recently did a, Play to Give "charity", which in truth is no charity at all, but simply a cloak for debauchery and corruption. If it is impossible to opt out of this, and retract support for such a notorious cause, then I will censure it here publicly. The "charities" they're giving to are not real charities but directed towards bogus equality. As if we need to give money in order that women have equal rights? What a joke. If they aren't hired, maybe it's because they lack the competence, and efficiency, and if they are, they don't need a charity. By supporting these farce charities, they're actually proving that women lack the proper qualities that are required in these fields. Your "charity" will do nothing but dig your path the surer to destruction, and increase your delusions. To hell with your false charity. I want nothing to do with it. Next time you decide to donate to a worth cause like the homeless, or wounded warriors, let me know, until then, leave me out of it, and let me play without giving to your perfidious causes.

It'd be nice if people who actually "opted out" of this event - i.e. didn't log it at all - didn't get the rewards. I didn't log in at all that weekend; last time I logged in was Thursday afternoon, and the event ran from Friday to Sunday. And yet, come Monday morning - I somehow got the pet and the title in the mail. Instantly deleted, as I wanted no part of this; that's why I didn't log in. I don't *want* to support something like this. (...well, that, and it was finals week, with my final exam due on Sunday. And boy but I needed those few extra days to work on it! :eek:)

Wish things like this were an opt-in sort of thing - if you want to play that weekend, but don't want to support this "charity" or the metrics of "look how many people supported iNcLuSiVe PlAy!!1!" then I wish we were given the option to say "Thanks but no thanks." But no...it was either log in and automatically get the pet and title even if you didn't do a single thing in-game - or don't bother playing at all.

Or in my case, don't bother playing at all and STILL somehow wind up "supporting" this nonsense. o_O I'm still confused on how that possibly happened...

Also, OP, thank you for saying that. About dang time somebody pointed out how ridiculous the whole thing was.

I know protests have to start somewhere, but not playing a game that you already paid for doesn't seem like much of a statement.

Not sure if this was directed at me... if it was, then --

Yes, I do subscribe to this game. Once my money leaves my pocket, EA/BioWare IS free to do what they want with it. They want to take that money and throw it down the toilet, fine. They want to take that money and give it to a charity that...seems a little dubious? Also fine. It's their money now.

I'm not trying to make a statement (nor am I asking for a refund on lost sub time or anything :p That'd be just silly). And, I realize that complaining about free rewards that I received does seem a little petty. The truth of it is, I shouldn't have received anything, according to the rules of this event: log in from June 2nd to June 4th, group up, blah blah, receive pet and title, hurrah. I did not log in; I did not want to add to the numbers of people playing, not people subscribing, therefore, I shouldn't have gotten the pet and title. But I did. It's not really about the pet and title (cute pet, by the way; my friend also received one, and it followed us around as we played on Monday). It's about the fact that I'm now evidently one more person who "supports" this silly "inclusive play" thing, when I'm not.

All in all, honestly, it's a very minor complaint, and at this point I'm past caring all that much. Next time something like this happens, though, I do wish they'd respect someone's choice to not participate in the event and not add another person to their metrics. "Look how many people support DIVERSE and INCLUSIVE play!" ...er, not me? Because I didn't log in? That was the terms of the event?? *shrug* :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Can't believe I;m defending EA but....

wounded warriors

https://www.ea.com/play2016/play-to-give

One of the causes they gave "money" to is listed as Special Effect, a British non profit that is supposed to work with returning British vets on Quality of Life issues. Or at least that's what the EA website says. I don't see that mentioned on Special Effects website.

The cynic in me points out it was probably done for public relations and got EA's name in the press as doing a "good" thing. I know I worked for one corporation many years ago whose charity unit was under their PR department. ;)

edit: Oh and note the disclaimer at the bottom of EA's page:

Donation to charity not contingent on player participation.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.