The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

New Star Wars Game ?? - Post from an article from The Verge - Discuss

Taken from an internet article from "The Verge" by Chris Plante on Jun 6, 2017

"EA's open-world Star Wars game is all but confirmed. Developer Scott Warner hinted at the project two years ago on Twitter. (He has since left Visceral for Oculus, and deleted those tweets somewhere along the way.) At E3 2016, EA showed a glimpse of "early in-game footage" for the unnamed project.

And over the years, EA has assembled big name talent around the title. Game director and writer Amy Hennig, who left Uncharted developer Naughty Dog in 2014 and joined Visceral the same year, has spoken vaguely about her work on the Star Wars project.

Jade Raymond, formerly executive producer on Assassin's Creed at Ubisoft, founded Motive Studios for EA. It was revealed that her team would be co-developing the project with Hennig's Visceral for a 2018 release."

Guess we will see if it will be annouced at E3 this year.

Marhalt

"EA's open-world Star Wars game is all but confirmed. Developer Scott Warner hinted at the project two years ago on Twitter. (He has since left Visceral for Oculus, and deleted those tweets somewhere along the way.) At E3 2016, EA showed a glimpse of "early in-game footage" for the unnamed project.

And over the years, EA has assembled big name talent around the title. Game director and writer Amy Hennig, who left Uncharted developer Naughty Dog in 2014 and joined Visceral the same year, has spoken vaguely about her work on the Star Wars project.

Jade Raymond, formerly executive producer on Assassin's Creed at Ubisoft, founded Motive Studios for EA. It was revealed that her team would be co-developing the project with Hennig's Visceral for a 2018 release."

Marhalt

As much as we all wish it was an mmo, it's not. It's a game like Destiny, Titan Fall, and the Division. It's a pseudo mmo/fps that meant to compete directly in that market. EA and many others see the successes in that market and they feel it is a lot more viable (and cheaper to produce) than a new mmo, so that's why all the resources (money) have been funneled into that.

Edited by Darkside

As much as we all wish it was an mmo, it's not. It's a game like Destiny, Titan Fall, and the Division. It's a pseudo mmo/fps that meant to compete directly in that market.

I don't want a new mmo tbh, I rather they patch up this one!:p This one has Arcann.:rak_03:

Marhalt

It has been Confirmed by EA, that there are 2 to 3 other New Star Wars games in the works that some of Bioware's staff has been moved to, to doing things on those game. EA also cancelled 3 good games, in which the game titled "Darth Maul" that Lucasfilm was willing to license along with other great games. But because EAl has the official Star Wars Multi-Billion dollar contract still, EA shut those games down.

I do see that from BattleFront 2 that EA could be using those said Companies that worked on those cancelled games could be in the works with other EA games to come later. I hope so, the people would love those characters around in 1 or more games that EA is still working on.

Of course i didn't get any of this from the Verge, i don't even know what the hell it is.

Edited by MandFlurry

Destiny is pretty good success atm and of course, like MOBAs, game companies are gonna ride that train.

My only concern is will it shut down this game? Hopefully its just a Destiny clone and will stay separate enough from this game that it won't be a justifiable reason to shut it down.

I honestly believe this is the last SW MMO will ever see. The traditional MMO style is dying out and this is prob the last ride. Any future open world SW game will be just that, an open world hybrid but not a MMO in the truest sense.

Edited by DenariusJay

Destiny is pretty good success atm and of course, like MOBAs, game companies are gonna ride that train.

My only concern is will it shut down this game? Hopefully its just a Destiny clone and will stay separate enough from this game that it won't be a justifiable reason to shut it down.

I honestly believe this is the last SW MMO will ever see. The traditional MMO style is dying out and this is prob the last ride. Any future open world SW game will be just that, an open world hybrid but a MMO in the truest sense.

It's like the space combat games from the 90s. They were all the rage, and then they were just gone. /mourn the X-Wing series...

I'm looking forward to it. I'd buy a new game set in the Old Republic era right now. Seriously, TAKE MY MONEY!

I don't think it's set in the old republic era. I believe it's in the new time frame, or at least the original movies.

I don't think it's set in the old republic era. I believe it's in the new time frame, or at least the original movies.

Oh I am sure it probably is. All the same, Old Republic era games - I will buy them all.

When the time comes for BW to turn off the servers for this game, if they bundle it up into a single-player version with a local server (and maybe hostable PvP or something) I'd buy that too.

Oh I am sure it probably is. All the same, Old Republic era games - I will buy them all.

When the time comes for BW to turn off the servers for this game, if they bundle it up into a single-player version with a local server (and maybe hostable PvP or something) I'd buy that too.

i don't see disney and ea making any games in the old republic era. they seem to be focused on the era the movies are in. i would guess this is probably the last big old republic era game.

As an exclusively PC "gamer" in quotation marks, I hope they plan to bring out some PC games. I only really play Assassin's Creed, and if they brought out a game like the AC series, or perhaps, like, Uncharted, they can have ALL MY MONEY.

I still plan to play this one, though.

Marhalt

it would be helpful if you had the link so you are not just copy and pasting bits and pieces that would suit your particular point from something from 2 years ago, for example.

Edited by Celise

i don't see disney and ea making any games in the old republic era. they seem to be focused on the era the movies are in. i would guess this is probably the last big old republic era game.

That would truly be sad, since the TOR era is at least ten times more interesting than the "Use the force, Luke!" era.

That would truly be sad, since the TOR era is at least ten times more interesting than the "Use the force, Luke!" era.

this a million times.

this new era is just utter boring. jedi and sith are weak as hell with barely any power hell there are barely any sith or jedi anymore it seems.....

meanwhile look at the old stuff and old lore its just crazy full of mysticsm Power Mystery battles duels wars so much lore that you can choke on it......

it would be helpful if you had the link so you are not just copy and pasting bits and pieces that would suit your particular point from something from 2 years ago, for example.

Knock yourself out. I typed the exact article, at least the part that related to Star Wars.

The rest of it was about other games. Not relevant here.

Also not hard to find since I put the author and date of the original. Google is your friend. But here you go.

I also put the date. Including the year. So yeah not from 2 years ago.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/6/15732138/e3-2017-smash-bros-star-wars-bethesda-halo-rumors

There is a nice link in the original bit that leads to a fairly good article about Amy Hennig. Worth a read.

Marhalt

Edited by Sir_Marhalt
Added on relevant bit

I don't know why this is important to you. A quick google would tell you that since this game came out, we've also had -

Kinect Star Wars (2012)

Angry Birds Star Wars (2012)

Angry Birds Star Wars II (2013)

Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga (2013)

Lego Star Wars: The Yoda Chronicles (2013)

Star Wars Pinball (2013)

Star Wars: Force Collection (2013)

Star Wars: Tiny Death Star (2013)

Star Wars Pinball: Balance of the Force (2013)

Star Wars: Assault Team (2014)

Star Wars: Commander (2014)

Star Wars: Galactic Defense (2014)

Journeys: The Phantom Menace (2014)

Journeys: Beginnings (2014)

Star Wars Rebels: Ghost Raid (2014)

Star Wars Rebels: Rebel Strike (2014)

Star Wars Pinball: Heroes of the Force (2014)

Star Wars: Battle Pod (2015)

Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes (2015)

Star Wars: Uprising (2015, discontinued November 17, 2016)

Star Wars: Heroes Path (2015)

Star Wars Rebels: Recon Missions (2015)

Star Wars Battlefront (2015)

Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2016)

Star Wars Battlefront II (2017)

Not to mention these cancelled titles -

Star Wars 1313 (2013)

Star Wars Outpost (2013)

Star Wars: First Assault (2013)

Star Wars: Attack Squadrons (2014)

But all of a sudden, another game gets mentioned and you .............what, think this game is going to end?

:confused:

People are concered because of what type of game it is. If its an open world game similar to SWTOR it could very well justify shutting down SWTOR. Much like how SWTOR justified the shut down on SWG. A lot of those games you mentioned are nowhere near MMO titles or compete with this game in a direct way.

Hopefully this new "open world" star wars game is just something similar to Destiny, that should distinguish it enough to allow it to co-exist with this game.

Edited by DenariusJay

People are concered because of what type of game it is. If its an open world game similar to SWTOR it could very well justify shutting down SWTOR. Much like how SWTOR justified the shut down on SWG. A lot of those games you mentioned are nowhere near MMO titles or compete with this game in a direct way.

Hopefully this new "open world" star wars game is just something similar to Destiny, that should distinguish it enough to allow it to co-exist with this game.

SWG shutdown because it was an MMO - same as TOR, but this new game is just a "open world" game. It sounds like it'll compete with games like Uncharted and the Division and AC, not an MMO. TOR should be safe, specifically because we will never see another SW MMO.

Nothing justified shutting down swg =/ jump to light speed was > then all

SWG shutdown because it was an MMO - same as TOR, but this new game is just a "open world" game. It sounds like it'll compete with games like Uncharted and the Division and AC, not an MMO. TOR should be safe, specifically because we will never see another SW MMO.

imo the main problem is the engine.

if you wanna run swtor without lags, you need a real fast processor.

with my computer i can run nearly every game in high or ultra graphics.

but even on this, 24vs24 on cz-198 is unplayable. so it doesn't matter.

other next-gen games are coming with way better graphics, but are still

using half of the ressources swtor needs on ultra. and these games are

runing without any lags, swtor will still have these annoying micro-lags,

depending on the instance you are playing.

so my hope still is, that the changes we got with beginning 4.0 until today,

is a preparation to migrate the complete game to a new engine. this makes

all content-creating much faster, because you don't need to care about the

ressources that much and you can do what you want, not what systems allows.

also with additional dlc (paid) you could add new timezones, like playing in the

fight for yavin. many other games showed us already, what could be possible

within a acceptable time.

but maybe the truth is, that the swtor team is so tiny, that it is hard for them,

to keep the game running and creating new content.

and to be honest, i would buy a next-gen-swtor-copy and i also would delete

toons, to play the story in the next-gen-mode again. also a complete reset would

be okay.

but at the moment, with that information-politics they are running,

even they improved it that much since this year, there is no reason

for me, to come back, after my ref-code-time ends tomorrow.