Potential for post-Iokath class and companion stories?

DiamondDove

We have all seen many threads requesting new class and companion stories, and we were rewarded with a snippet of story on Rishi to tidy up some loose ends and more recently a snippet of conversation with Master Ranos hinting at where our lost companions are.

There has been much debate if BWA have the resources to implement 8 new class stories, and based on the implementation of the one-story fits all approach, it would seem they currently don't. However, we were treated to the HK side-story - which seemed to be generally well received on the forums.

What if BWA took a side-story approach to hark back to our individual classes? There could be two options:

1. we play as our companion, following adventures during the 5+ years of separation - and set independently from the Outlander saga

2. we play as our character, searching for these companions, after Iokath is wrapped up - the Outlander could leave Lana and Theron in charge and undertake these as personal missions.

Either approach would be a compromise between totally new story content and class stories, could use existing assets and (perhaps) require less resources to implement. If this style required less resources, the team could focus on delivering new group content, but at the same time release a new class-related story (say) quarterly. It would not be the attempt at bold new story telling of KotFE and KoTET, but might allow story, PvE group and PvP group content to progress at the same time. It could also tie the new stories back into the original class story lines.

With the number of companions we have now, there is almost unlimited potential for approach one to delver story content, but the initial focus should be the missing ones, or current ones to fill in the gaps.

With 8 classes to build on, the second approach would yield at least 8 new stories. If the release was quarterly, that's two years worth of stories as each class is worked through.

What does everyone think about the potential for this approach?

TLDR instead of huge galaxy-impact stories, story telling is personalised for the Outlander's class and companions for 12-24 months, allowing story, PvE and PvP to be developed concurrently.

PS also posted to the suggestion thread.

We have all seen many threads requesting new class and companion stories, and we were rewarded with a snippet of story on Rishi to tidy up some loose ends and more recently a snippet of conversation with Master Ranos hinting at where our lost companions are.

There has been much debate if BWA have the resources to implement 8 new class stories, and based on the implementation of the one-story fits all approach, it would seem they currently don't. However, we were treated to the HK side-story - which seemed to be generally well received on the forums.

What if BWA took a side-story approach to hark back to our individual classes? There could be two options:

1. we play as our companion, following adventures during the 5+ years of separation - and set independently from the Outlander saga

2. we play as our character, searching for these companions, after Iokath is wrapped up - the Outlander could leave Lana and Theron in charge and undertake these as personal missions.

Either approach would be a compromise between totally new story content and class stories, could use existing assets and (perhaps) require less resources to implement. If this style required less resources, the team could focus on delivering new group content, but at the same time release a new class-related story (say) quarterly. It would not be the attempt at bold new story telling of KotFE and KoTET, but might allow story, PvE group and PvP group content to progress at the same time. It could also tie the new stories back into the original class story lines.

With the number of companions we have now, there is almost unlimited potential for approach one to delver story content, but the initial focus should be the missing ones, or current ones to fill in the gaps.

With 8 classes to build on, the second approach would yield at least 8 new stories. If the release was quarterly, that's two years worth of stories as each class is worked through.

What does everyone think about the potential for this approach?

TLDR instead of huge galaxy-impact stories, story telling is personalised for the Outlander's class and companions for 12-24 months, allowing story, PvE and PvP to be developed concurrently.

PS also posted to the suggestion thread.

Actually, this BW going a "side story" route isn't a bad idea. I think I like your first option the most, assuming that not all companions receive a side story because imo that's a heck of a lot of stories. Likewise, your option 2 would mean they still would need to do 8 stories. That's too many, obviously, your side story for companions idea sounds like it could be interesting, while not being as much work.

If I had to pick a number of companions this could work with, I'd say, maybe three? I have no idea how difficult story is to add, so maybe just three of the main companions that haven't been brought back, yet. Say, a story for Kira, Mako and Iresso?

I personally would be fine with just one companion story at a time, but I know there will be people that would want stories of them all despite how unrealistic that is.

I'd be less concerned with stuff like the potential stories they could come up with, and instead focus on the bigger, more impact-full issues.

Such as there not being any white wine spritzer in the game.

Edited by Asmadios

Oh well, I guess people would rather discuss if it's generosity or nepotism for Keith to give away freebies, than a suggestion for short side stories that might leave enough resources for new group content.

PS free wine spritzer's sound great too - as long as its available for all. Maybe there should be a wine spritzer fountain deco?

I personally would be fine with just one companion story at a time, but I know there will be people that would want stories of them all despite how unrealistic that is.

I think it's less of "I want them all" but more of "I want my favourite", and probably each comp has someone who likes them.

Which in the end would mean for them all, or some players would be disappointed/angry they're left out.

I think there is potential but not likely to happen.

Class stories like the original just doesn't seem like something bw can pull off. Probably why we had to go to the awful one story for all when you compare them to class stories. Just easier to do. Everyone down an all too similar road.

I'd love to see it happen and I think they were the biggest reason the game was so enticing back then. There is always potential for it but I'm not sure bw is capable of pulling it off anymore but if they did. That has the potential to be an amazing hook to bring gamers back along with new group content ( PVP and PVE ).

I think class stories was more than they could handle and still is. Most we'd get is reps vs imps and for real, not the level that iokath is at. I think the fleet will be destroyed when iokath wraps up and it'll be faction Vs faction again.

I liked the class stories a lot, but it's so much work to keep up it seems unrealistic. I also don't think their staff on the story board is as big as it was then, but I'm not sure about that.

Also I'd prefer more in depth relationships with comps and comps coming to return rather than 8 individual class stories.

Edited by Eshvara

I think it's less of "I want them all" but more of "I want my favourite", and probably each comp has someone who likes them.

Which in the end would mean for them all, or some players would be disappointed/angry they're left out.

Could be done. They could do 3 imp and 3 pub companions at the same time. So everyone would be going after the three in their faction or all 6 if they chose to.

Picking just a few would be tricky and lead to only some people getting comps back while the others are still left in the lurch. My Jedi misses her husband, but Doc is not a popular love interest so he'd probably get left out. I personally want everyone to get their LI's back at least. It's such a massive plot hole to leave them out, and I think it really weakened the kotfe/kotet story.

The ditching of old companions was not a well constructed idea. It could have been brilliant had the returns been included and well thought out. Strategically, not knowing the whereabouts of the Outlander's LI is stupid. What if Arcann/Vaylin were to find said person and use them against the Outlander? Sorry, I'm a writer, these things really bother me. There was some real potential for amazing storytelling but it was completely wasted.

But I do like your ideas though. It would be fun to have even a little bit of class specific content that included getting Doc, and Vector. (Not that I've taken my agent through the new stuff, won't give my bugboy up until/unless I know how it will play out.) I would love to see more class stories in general, that's my favorite part of the game.

Picking just a few would be tricky and lead to only some people getting comps back while the others are still left in the lurch. My Jedi misses her husband, but Doc is not a popular love interest so he'd probably get left out. I personally want everyone to get their LI's back at least. It's such a massive plot hole to leave them out, and I think it really weakened the kotfe/kotet story.

The ditching of old companions was not a well constructed idea. It could have been brilliant had the returns been included and well thought out. Strategically, not knowing the whereabouts of the Outlander's LI is stupid. What if Arcann/Vaylin were to find said person and use them against the Outlander? Sorry, I'm a writer, these things really bother me. There was some real potential for amazing storytelling but it was completely wasted.

But I do like your ideas though. It would be fun to have even a little bit of class specific content that included getting Doc, and Vector. (Not that I've taken my agent through the new stuff, won't give my bugboy up until/unless I know how it will play out.) I would love to see more class stories in general, that's my favorite part of the game.

I agree, not returning all the LI companions creates major story holes. Some non-LI companions I can see moving on with their lives after their leader/employer/whatever disappeared and was considered most likely KIA. But NPCs who were married to your toon? They should've shown up immediately after Chapter 9 of KotFE, when everyone knows you're alive and you've built your new base of operations on Odessen. Unless they were dead or imprisoned, those NPCs would have rushed over as soon as they found out you were alive, or at the very least sent you an email!!

I miss Doc and Vector a ton too. :(

Edited by AscendingSky

Could be done. They could do 3 imp and 3 pub companions at the same time. So everyone would be going after the three in their faction or all 6 if they chose to.

I think we're talking about a little bit different things. What I mean is that I doubt they'd do it for all, because they simple don't have funds for that. And picking only some... speaking of myself I can tell you I'd rant for weeks. I got meagre 6 minutes of cutscenes of my favourite Quinn so-called reunion, in addition without working customisation; it was 2 months ago, and I'm still mad and ranting.

If you mean doing all in stages... still, no funds for that. We didn't even get all back yet, let alone give them anything to do.

As much as I'd like that to happen, because I see the companions one of the most important part of my game play, I don't think there is a chance. I only hope there're going to be at least cameos for all our loved ones. With working customisations, dammit!:mad:

I agree, not returning all the LI companions creates major story holes. Some non-LI companions I can see moving on with their lives after their leader/employer/whatever disappeared and was considered most likely KIA. But NPCs who were married to your toon? They should've shown up immediately after Chapter 9 of KotFE, when everyone knows you're alive and you've built your new base of operations on Odessen. Unless they were dead or imprisoned, those NPCs would have rushed over as soon as they found out you were alive, or at the very least sent you an email!!

I miss Doc and Vector a ton too. :(

I still enjoyed running through kotfe and kotet, but I saw so many wasted opportunities for dynamic storytelling. Just imagine if the LI's absence was explained by having been captured by Arcann or Vayliin. That could have been a very satisfying mission to play through. Alas, the squandered creativity!

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.