Subscription Rewards Should Not Deny Content Forever

Tofu_Shark

Subscriber rewards shouldn't lock up content to only those who were subscribed at the moment, such as the HK-55 Bonus Chapter or Nico Okarr pickup mission. You guys don't win over would-be subscribers by punishing them for not being here earlier. That's a sure way alienate them. Please come up with better ways to reward subscribers. There have been many ideas posted on improving that. Make content available to everyone. Maybe not right away, but give everyone a way to unlock this stuff. You can make Nico and his mission unlock like Treek, same with HK.

The more you tighten your grip, the more subscribers that slip through your fingertips.

I would have no problem with them selling it if 1) it cost as much as the equivalent subscription time cost, 2) there was no credit given for time subscribed during the promotion period, and 3) it couldn't be purchased with free coins. Edited by Rankyn

Subscriber rewards shouldn't lock up content to only those who were subscribed at the moment, such as the HK-55 Bonus Chapter or Nico Okarr pickup mission. You guys don't win over would-be subscribers by punishing them for not being here earlier. That's a sure way alienate them. Please come up with better ways to reward subscribers. There have been many ideas posted on improving that. Make content available to everyone. Maybe not right away, but give everyone a way to unlock this stuff. You can make Nico and his mission unlock like Treek, same with HK.

The more you tighten your grip, the more subscribers that slip through your fingertips.

No.

Making those past subscriber rewards available again would only undermine the effectiveness of any future subscriber reward promotions.

Accept the fact that you did NOT meet the criteria to receive those past subscriber rewards and look at that as incentive to remain subscribed so as not to miss out on any future subscriber rewards.

That said, I think BW would do well to complement the time specific subscriber rewards with some different "veteran subscriber rewards".

Using both types of reward systems would reward players with some rewards for total amount of time subscribed, while also rewarding players with different rewards that are only rewarded for being subscribed at specific times.

That's the fundamentals of pre ordering. Having a better advantage over your fellows.

Though they should release a paid expansion packs seperately or all in one SWTOR outlander edition to unlock all those missed opportunities. But it won't be cheap that would make me happy due to the fact I gotten all those preorder stuff with my subscription for free.

Edited by dxlolman

No.

Making those past subscriber rewards available again would only undermine the effectiveness of any future subscriber reward promotions.

Accept the fact that you did NOT meet the criteria to receive those past subscriber rewards and look at that as incentive to remain subscribed so as not to miss out on any future subscriber rewards.

That said, I think BW would do well to complement the time specific subscriber rewards with some different "veteran subscriber rewards".

Using both types of reward systems would reward players with some rewards for total amount of time subscribed, while also rewarding players with different rewards that are only rewarded for being subscribed at specific times.

THis guy said everything I would have said and then some.

I would have no problem with them selling it if 1) it cost as much as the equivalent subscription time cost, 2) there was no credit given for time subscribed during the promotion period, and 3) it couldn't be purchased with free coins.

I am against making past subscriber rewards available again, but IF BW chose to do so, I think number 1 should read "at least 33% (preferably 50%) more than the equivalent subscription cost" and number 3 should read "cannot be purchased with CC, only real money transactions".

I hear you guys, but I disagree with using content as an exclusive reward, however small or large that content is. Other stuff is fine, but content should be available to everyone somehow, not be an exclusive reward. That's the point I'm trying to make. Guess I wasn't clear enough. Edited by Tofu_Shark

I hear you guys, but I disagree with using content as an exclusive reward, however small or large that content is. Other stuff is fine, but content should be available to everyone somehow, not be an exclusive reward. That's the point I'm trying to make. Guess I wasn't clear enough.

I can only speak for myself, but I understood you perfectly.

There is nothing wrong with "content" being a subscriber reward, IMO.

This is NOT the first "content" that is no longer available to anyone who was not playing (or subscribed) at the appropriate time.

Content that is available now, may not always be available. It makes no difference whether that content is "removed for reasons" or is a subscriber reward.

In the end, to me this seems to be just a case of you wanting what you KNOW you are NOT entitled to have, and trying to find a way to justify your "feeling of entitlement".

This has been debated in countless threads (use the search function) and the ultimate answer is NO

It won't happen for subscriber rewards. Though they may make an item similar to an reward e.g. party jawa recreated this past year as a celebration jawa to accomplish those unique achievements, but they will never release the party jawa ever again.

Also I would like to point out how in big letters EXCLUSIVE CHAPTER will be released to those who where a subscriber for the entire duration of that promotion you could not miss it at all. They told you ample amount before hand and even extended the deadline for the first reward originally. If you did not subscribe you won't get HK-55 plain and simple.

I can only speak for myself, but I understood you perfectly.

There is nothing wrong with "content" being a subscriber reward, IMO.

This is NOT the first "content" that is no longer available to anyone who was not playing (or subscribed) at the appropriate time.

Content that is available now, may not always be available. It makes no difference whether that content is "removed for reasons" or is a subscriber reward.

In the end, to me this seems to be just a case of you wanting what you KNOW you are NOT entitled to have, and trying to find a way to justify your "feeling of entitlement".

Ad hominem

Then enlighten us all.

If this is not a case of you wanting what you KNOW you are NOT entitled to have and an attempt to find a way to justify your desires, then how would you categorize your complaint or "suggestion"?

No longer available subscriber rewards won't deter subscriptions near as much as RNG gear grinding has. They should probably worry about the main reasons people stop subbing.

Anyway, don't worry ... if you wait long enough there will probably be an HK-55.5 and a Kiko Okarr (long lost drunk twin) mission available for those that were robbed of the chance to obtain the originals --- much like the Celebration Jawa / Party Jawa clone.

For Bioware to re-open exclusive items to the masses would be for Bioware to break its unspoken word to the people that got here before you and ponied up to help make sure there'd be a game when you finally got here. It is for this reason alone that I couldn't support re-opening expired giveaways... no matter how badly I want a Party Jawa.

• 2 months later...

Oh really? And since when have they cared about that? I'm not talking about everything, just the companions, their pickup missions, and the HK-55 bonus chapter. That is content. Items aren't content (although, items add to immersion). You can keep your stupid items.

And for the record, I have access to the HK-55 Bonus chapter.

I don't have Ranos which was my fault, because I didn't qualify for, though, even if I did try to finish all the tasks. It's cool, I know that I don't deserve her, and I'll move alone because I believe that there will probably be future rewards.

But, OP, I suggest you take a look at the HK thread, in particular the last post. I believe the quote in that last post would be to your liking. :D:p

Oh really? And since when have they cared about that? I'm not talking about everything, just the companions, their pickup missions, and the HK-55 bonus chapter. That is content. Items aren't content (although, items add to immersion). You can keep your stupid items.

And for the record, I have access to the HK-55 Bonus chapter.

{Another swift comeback.}

I'd like to think there's a problem with the forums today, making people think these threads are newer than they actually are. If not, and this is just a sad attempt at bumping this back up, I feel sorry for you that there is so little support for this that you had to do that.

As someone who's never missed a subscriber reward, the most reasonable thing to do would be to let people who qualify for a newer subscriber reward forego that for the sake of an older one, on a per account basis. If they issue rewards based on total subscribed time, then everyone has earned the the same way.

However, there is a very...vocal contingent of players that I've seen over the last 5+ years, who don't really want a reward unless other people can't get it, who will hem and haw over that, and the producers generally cater to them, to a disappointing degree.

As someone who's never missed a subscriber reward, the most reasonable thing to do would be to let people who qualify for a newer subscriber reward forego that for the sake of an older one, on a per account basis. If they issue rewards based on total subscribed time, then everyone has earned the the same way.

However, there is a very...vocal contingent of players that I've seen over the last 5+ years, who don't really want a reward unless other people can't get it, who will hem and haw over that, and the producers generally cater to them, to a disappointing degree.

This is another reasonable solution.

and, this is quoted because I also like this option to keep sub rewards exclusive.

Not my idea, but I don't remember who came up with it (sorry): Instead of giving us unique items every month, give us "subscriber tokens" that we can redeem at a special vendor. The vendor will sell all the subscriber rewards, which we can purchase with Subscriber Tokens. So an item like the HK-Inspired Helmet would only cost one month's worth of tokens, but to buy the HK bonus chapter we'd have to save up seven months worth of tokens. That way the rewards will still be subscriber exclusive, and new items can be added to the vendor every month, but if players aren't interested in one month's reward they can instead claim the reward for a month they missed (instead of simply canceling their sub for that month). More incentive to subscribe, subscriber rewards feel more fair, and players still need to be subscribed every month if they want to be able to afford all the rewards - this just lets them choose the order they get the rewards in, or opt out of getting the rewards for a few months in exchange for a more valuable reward (like Niko Okaar or the HK bonus chapter) after a few months. And they'd still have to be subscribed all those months in order to gain the subscriber tokens needed to buy those better rewards.

The past subscriber rewards should remain exclusive to those that actually MET the criteria to receive them, IMO.

To offer them again, by any means, would have a drastic negative impact on the effectiveness of future subscriber reward promotions, IMO. After all, why should Johnny subscribe now ( when BW needs the subscribers and the revenue they generate) if he can just wh8ine and cry on the forums and be able to get it later for a pittance.

I see a lot of envy and entitlement on these forums. There also seems to be a large emphasis on trying to justify that entitlement and attempts to cast those who actually MET the criteria for those subscriber rewards as "big, bad bullies" who want to "punish those who did NOT meet the criteria to receive the subscriber rewards and make their lives miserable."

I see a lot of envy

You see it, but is it really there? Like I said, I think the main reason most people want to keep rewards exclusive is so that they can think they are envied (never mind whether they actually are or not).

But, hey, whatever makes you feel big.