The New Hairstyles... Uhm?!

Ylliarus

Wait. There's different hair styles? I always thought the ones in the packs were just the ones you can get in the appearance designer that cost slightly more? Anywhere I can preview them to see if I'd like any of them?

Yeah, you can preview them in the appearance designer (you don't have to buy them to preview them there).

The ones in the packs *are* the ones in the appearance designer. As I understand it, though, if you buy the pack and unlock it, you can now use those hairstyle options at character creation. (Correct me if I'm wrong, please. :o)

Yeah, you can preview them in the appearance designer (you don't have to buy them to preview them there).

The ones in the packs *are* the ones in the appearance designer. As I understand it, though, if you buy the pack and unlock it, you can now use those hairstyle options at character creation. (Correct me if I'm wrong, please. :o)

Ah yes yes thats what I always suspected was the case this thread just had me thinking maybe these were hairstyles that didn't even show in the designer until you had bought the pack.

I think BW may grossly underestimate how important the character creation and customization process is for players. If the current styles and options were a turnoff in 2011, which they were for me... I laughed when beta went to live and it was all the same.... they're without a doubt a turnoff in 2017 for other people. Some people just won't play a game where they can't customize a character the way they want and this is a huge part of SWTOR with the amount of cut scenes it has.

You're not wrong. The Shae Viszla hair is fine, the other two...garbage. What are they on? That they would think in any universe or existence that these styles would look good?

My take as a man...they don't have a female artist doing hair design, heh. We are pretty good at drawing female assets from eyes down. Hair? Not so much it seems.

Have you ever seen some of the hairstyles women actually wear?

The poor taste in hair style is not exclusive to women, but they sure seem to be pre-dominate in it.

Most of the ditzy hairstyles in SWTOR, are for the ditzy characters you meet in your stories. Just some players have the ditzy taste to choose it.

"Is that a hairstyle, or did a womp rat die on your head?" - Smuggler on Coruscant to NPC.

Edited by ThrakhathSpawn

My take as a man...they don't have a female artist doing hair design, heh. We are pretty good at drawing female assets from eyes down. Hair? Not so much it seems.

That would be my guess from the clothing designs lately too, but yeah, the hair is atrocious, which is too bad. They've had some nice designs before. Maybe they should farm out these jobs to people who do this kind of thing. The Shae Vizsla hair is nice, but the other two...my gods. :w_confused:

Just take a look at ESO though, there they have cool looking hairstyles that are both fantasy-like but keep very much in touch with the real world. They look realistic and likeable. Really, SWTOR could learn a lot from ESO.

TBH I don't think the ESO hair styles are much better.

Of my 6 ESO toons, 4 are shaven headed, because the hair styles are too "emo" or too shiny.

Of all the MMORPGs I currently have installed I think LOTRO has the best hair options, it needs more beard option though. So does SWTOR.

All The Best

I think BW may grossly underestimate how important the character creation and customization process is for players. If the current styles and options were a turnoff in 2011, which they were for me... I laughed when beta went to live and it was all the same.... they're without a doubt a turnoff in 2017 for other people. Some people just won't play a game where they can't customize a character the way they want and this is a huge part of SWTOR with the amount of cut scenes it has.

I think you make a very valid point here. The characters we play we want to relate to them in a way, we want to feel like we understand them and are a part of their adventure. Making the toons look the way we envision them is such a crucial part of that process and I agree with the fact that Bioware seems to be underestimating it. A prime example would be Mass Effect Andromeda, one of the critiques was that people were turned off by the fact there was and currently is very little diversity in character creation. Sadly it seems to be also the case for SWTOR.

However it baffles me because then they bring out a game like Dragon Age Inquisition and in my opinion that character creator is perfect. I was able to customize my character to the smallest details and I enjoyed it so much. Good character creators are the ones where you spend a solid hour if not more getting your toon right. How much time do I spend on SWTOR making the character? Usually about a minute or two, it's all bland and the same sadly.

Agree 100%.

If I were looking for a way to a) make existing players happier, b) attract new players, and c) provide future opportunities for revenue generation I would be prioritising a total overhaul of Character Creation.

It would include, as standard, and at no "unlock" cost:

1) Double the number of Face Options.

2) Double the number, and massively increase the quality of Hair Options.

3) Double the number, and massively increase the quality of Beard Options.

4) Double the number, and massively increase the quality of Cosmetic Options.

5) Facial and Body Tattoos for ALL Race/Class combinations - separate slider from Cosmetic/Complexion.

6) The ability to have basic cybernetic Limbs.

7) An "Age" slider.

The to add in revenue making potential I'd also add to the Store

1) New Player Races - My personal choice would be Nautolan and Weequay - they offer significant possibility for hair/facial/cosmetic options.

2) Exclusive Hair / Cosmetic / Cybernetic / Tattoo options.

And then to incentivise people to play end-game content I'd have Rare "Cosmetics" stand a reasonable chance of dropping from Operations bosses.

Make initial character creation for more rewarding, but also allow players the ability to develop how their character looks, based on their experiences in-game.

All The Best

Edited by DarthSpuds

My own hair is what happens when you do nothing to it but cut it short over your eyes so you can see and it's still not in the game, closest thing is that crazy wedge thing that reminds me of a wig sitting slightly askew on a mannequin's head. How am I supposed to make myself in the game?! :o

Ah well I'll just keep using the one with the bun in the back and the long tentacles in the front even though the unmatching brown hair ties makes my eye twitch. At least they match the eyebrows. Even when my character has purple hair. *twitch*

Make initial character creation for more rewarding, but also allow players the ability to develop how their character looks, based on their experiences in-game.

Reminds me of the time I spent a boatload of cc just to add scars to all my characters. I like this one scar, but I don't want them to have it at the beginning of the game

Edited by grania

The other 2 hairstyles feel more like placeholders than actual hairstyles made with any intent of.. ...innovation

They should've put Senya's and Valkorion's hairstyle with it... or even Vaylin.

Buuuuuut I suppose they'd run out of ideas faster if they did that :rolleyes:

I hesitated to buy the new hairstyles because the old ones are buggy.

I use the Shaggy hairstyle on my smuggler and it glitches about half the time.

The back piece slides forward and cuts her head in half fairly often, even during cutscenes.

This leaves her with a strange hair ridge and a bald back of the head.

I was really excited when I saw the new hairstyles mostly for the swept back hipster hair as it's the closest to how I prefer to wear my hair so I happily bought them. Then to my dismay when I got to make a character with the new fancy hair the first time I see the back of his head I notice those two god awful twin rat tails down the back, I mean , why? who thought that looked good? I swear I think they have one ******e with really poor taste who designs both the hairstyles and 90% of the helmets in this game. Don't like having goofy hair , a tard crown, or a dick helmet? swtor is not for you apparently.

I was really excited when I saw the new hairstyles mostly for the swept back hipster hair as it's the closest to how I prefer to wear my hair so I happily bought them. Then to my dismay when I got to make a character with the new fancy hair the first time I see the back of his head I notice those two god awful twin rat tails down the back, I mean , why?

People keep saying this but nobody posts a picture of it, I want to seee

People keep saying this but nobody posts a picture of it, I want to seee

You can preview it without buying it at the appearance modification station, in the Cartel Bazaar on Fleet or in a properly equipped guildship or stronghold.

Actually, I also thought the "mushroom" one was a bit odd looking until I previewed it on my (female) Sith Warrior. It just kind of "suits" her look. So, I'll be spending some of my next monthly CC allotment on it. :) Edited by JediQuaker

Actually, I also thought the "mushroom" one was a bit odd looking until I previewed it on my (female) Sith Warrior. It just kind of "suits" her look. So, I'll be spending some of my next monthly CC allotment on it. :)

I kinda dig the style itself, but the poor texture implementation is extremely off-putting. Very pixellated and weirdly shaded ;x

It's usually their policy (unless special circumstances - rip unrelenting aggressor) not to change already made items but, seriously, new hairstyles are terribad. I kinda wanted to wear the swept undercut but seeing those two rat tails coming out of it ...

This has to be removed!

The recent cm haircuts is almsot like if they want to give people reason to wear hoods xD

Shaggy - broken - clips and stays like that exposing entire bald backside of the head

Undercut - broken on good few models - permanently clips into the head exposing the skin

Long "Qui-Gon" hair - very badly design - hair doesn't match our characters' hairline - it looks like if our characters shaved the front of their heads.

I don't understand why and how vanilla haircuts are of much better quality and work with all body types / faces.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

I was really excited when I saw the new hairstyles mostly for the swept back hipster hair as it's the closest to how I prefer to wear my hair so I happily bought them. Then to my dismay when I got to make a character with the new fancy hair the first time I see the back of his head I notice those two god awful twin rat tails down the back, I mean , why? who thought that looked good? I swear I think they have one ******e with really poor taste who designs both the hairstyles and 90% of the helmets in this game. Don't like having goofy hair , a tard crown, or a dick helmet? swtor is not for you apparently.

I feel you, believe me. I had the same with the Pompadour because IRL I wear my hair up as well, but when I actually bought and started making a new character I was taken aback by how badly it looked.

Also I don't understand why the new hair colours dye so badly. Like have you noticed trying to make Shae Vizsla's hair black? It's like a weird greenish colour, nothing like the nice true black when using it on one of the original hairstyles.