The New Galaxy Map

EricMusco

Bioware emp: Should we fix any of the bugs or make anything new?

Bioware manager: No, redo AOE reticles, make player map icons look ridiculous and re-make the galaxy map

Bioware emp: But what about all the bugs and all these things the players want?

Bioware manager: Hey is there any way we can stick more RNG into the game? Or buff mercs?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is kind of a hot mess initially. Constructive criticism:

- The planet names and icons need more contrast to better stand out, different color maybe

- The alpha of the blue background needs to be lowered a bit

- I would have gone with a darker blue background

- Since you can LMB to zoom in, you should be able to RMB out

- Can we get a toggle to kill the rails space missions?

Edited by stoopicus

Bioware manager: No, redo AOE reticles, make player map icons look ridiculous and re-make the galaxy map

Bioware manager: Hey is there any way we can stick more RNG into the game? Or buff mercs?

EA Suit: Stay Focused! Figure out a way to get more money out the CM please.

I like the new map in general, but it could use some tweaks:

- Less blue. Seriously, the defining part of a "galaxy map" should be the galaxy. The old map was a piece of art with the rotating background layer that created the illusion that the actual galaxy rotates, the new one is a blue schematic.

- The space missions definitely need a disable button, or appear only if you fully scrolled in.

- Icons could be a bit larger.

- Does transport to personal starship really need to close the map and activate the 6s cast?

- Add fleet pass next to the starship button, so we can free the quickslot and still quickly go to fleet.

Edited by Mubrak

I agree with a bunch of the previous suggestions:

* The whole map is too blue. Give us some nebula colors, please!

* Planet names need to stand out more.

* Icons need to be 10% bigger, maybe more.

* Add a toggle to hide space mission names until moused-over or scrolled in.

* Drop the casting from Personal Starship transport.

* Add the Fleet Pass next to the Starship transport button.

Does it show where our guild's flagship is located? That would be really awesome.

Sadly, this will probably be my last subscription period cuz this is exactly what it feels like they're doing with the game at this point.

...Bioware manager: No, redo AOE reticles, make player map icons look ridiculous and re-make the galaxy map...

You forgot about fixing the "complicated" token-based item and gearing system by implementing Galactic Command.

Edited by Edyn

Not that this is something I actually care about and I'm just pointing it out, but still...

It's kinda stupid that the 'Controlled by' thing just says contested on every planet except imp and rep home worlds when it could say the guild that controls the planet in conquest.

Outside of being a setting where complicated cutscenes can be run with a guaranteed environment, the whole starships subsystem was deliberately and obviously a timewaster. Everything from putting the cargo hold and GTN as far away as possible from the mailbox, to simply not allowing quick travel from ship hangars, stations, and starports, to having large chunks of important planets NOT on the priority transit terminals, it's all about inserting minutes artifically into playtimes.

If you like your ships, they're still there. Just like you can (and I will in many cases) walk to new zones on most planets instead of taxing the taxi. But if I'm not on Alderaan and want to get there prior to this update? If I haven't got the Priority Transport: Starship perk, it's QT to fleet (or stronghold), then go to ship, walk through ship to GalMap, use GalMap to travel to Alderaan starport, trudge from ship to starport entrance, and then FINALLY QT to where I'm going. Compare to getting to CZ-198, or anyplace else that happens to be on the Priority Terminal, or have a stronghold (or both).

How long has the Priority Transit system been in place? This just expands that, scalably.

This is one way to see it. If you are an MMO-Player who wants content to be streamlined and necessary ingame tasks to be as time-efficient as possible in order to "get most value out of their time spent ingame" then you are probably right: The whole system with starships and stories and cutscenes and dialogues and so on is just a huge waste of time that prevents the player from the most important aspect of the game: killing bosses or other player characters and gaining loot.

There are, however, those who do not play SWTOR for sheer effectiveness, but for style. After all, it has a great Star Wars look and feel to it and makes this universe come to life. Maybe we're a minority, but I'm quite sure I'm not the only one who simply enjoys playing characters that fly around the galaxy in their "own" starship to visit those iconic places known from the movies like Tatooine, Alderaan, Coruscant, Yavin 4, Hoth (ok, it's way too cold... scratch Hoth), and other Planets from the "old" Legends-universe like Nar Shaddaa, Hutta, Corellia, Rishi and so on.

That being said, for me going to my spaceship to move to a different planet was not annoying, but immersive. Being able to access the map from anywhere to go to any planet is certainly a QoL-feature that can or cannot be used. Changing the galaxy map to this - in my opinion - terrible design for everyone - ship or no ship - is what I don't like. If there was an option to toggle between the old and new map style I would be totally satisfied and leave the new map to those who like this fuzzy, blue style.

For me, the old map style captured the spirit of the Star Wars galaxy far, far better than the new one does. Style and story are my main reasons to play this game and for me a piece of that style was taken from it by this new "generic Sci-Fi game" map. Plus it is very hard to read the text or distinguish the small icons (or maybe my eyes are getting worse).

Edited by Raiida

Agreed. Guys, make the ability to switch between maps in settings plz.

P.S. Sorry for my english.

They won't do it. They won;t make accessibility changes.

I for one have no idea where the planets are located as I never memorized their locations. Previously we had the popups before clicking thru into the regions. I was sitting here trying to remember where Rishi was.

What's also annoying is that once you get into a region, there appears to be no way to back out of it. Previously a right click I believe would back you to the galaxy map. Now it just exits you completely. Lots of fun.

Top left corner. Click that button.

Someone mentioned that in chat. There's no button in my top left corner.

Thank you though for the response.

edit: Appears using the mouse wheel is what pulls you back now. Still would like the popups when you hover. I don't remember where all of the planets are. Bad enough trying to get folks to one of the places where I work from the interstate with the 11 turns and streets that they have to take.

reedit: ESC exits you out of the map.

Edited by dr_mike

Not that this is something I actually care about and I'm just pointing it out, but still...

It's kinda stupid that the 'Controlled by' thing just says contested on every planet except imp and rep home worlds when it could say the guild that controls the planet in conquest.

yeah I noticed that as well. The contested part doesn't make sense the way it works. The guild conquest instead would be a better thing to show.

They won't do it. They won;t make accessibility changes.

I for one have no idea where the planets are located as I never memorized their locations. Previously we had the popups before clicking thru into the regions. I was sitting here trying to remember where Rishi was.

What's also annoying is that once you get into a region, there appears to be no way to back out of it. Previously a right click I believe would back you to the galaxy map. Now it just exits you completely. Lots of fun.

The entirety of the old functionality is present - you can still do everything with the new map that you could do with the old one. The aesthetics, I'm not going to comment on, I'm not sure I like the colors myself. But they didn't REMOVE functionality from the map, they only added. (They moved some controls around, that's about it).

The entirety of the old functionality is present - you can still do everything with the new map that you could do with the old one. The aesthetics, I'm not going to comment on, I'm not sure I like the colors myself. But they didn't REMOVE functionality from the map, they only added. (They moved some controls around, that's about it).

That is not entirely true. There were some class- or quest-specific locations that were not one-time only. They were still present on the old map and you could always return to those. On the new map they don't show anymore.

Also, the planetary details of the old map listed all open quests for the selected planet and the tooltip listed them as well when hovering the mouse over that planet on the zone map. That was also removed.

That is not entirely true. There were some class- or quest-specific locations that were not one-time only. They were still present on the old map and you could always return to those. On the new map they don't show anymore.

OK, I forgot that one, because other than the Theoretika, I never had any urge to revisit those quest locations. And even the Theoretika isn't that interesting after the quest is complete.

Also, the planetary details of the old map listed all open quests for the selected planet and the tooltip listed them as well when hovering the mouse over that planet on the zone map. That was also removed.

My open quests show on the galaxy map - the planets are careted with the standard quest marker triangles, and hovering the mouse over the planet shows the list of active quests there. I just doublechecked that - here's the screenshot - https://goo.gl/photos/YMESJnuYjo4UNYpb9 - map is fully zoomed out. Note that I don't have any missions untracked in my log - I believe untracking them will remove them from the map. I'm not currently grouped, so I don't see my group's missions.

Note that I don't have any missions untracked in my log - I believe untracking them will remove them from the map.

Ok, that makes sense because I untrack missions that I don't want to show up on the Interface. I kinda like to choose what missions I want to actively keep track of. The nice thing about the old galaxy map was that it reminded me of what else was active on that planet whether it was currently tracked or not. I definitely liked the old version of this feature better, but at least I know about it now.

Thanks for pointing it out. :)

Ok, that makes sense because I untrack missions that I don't want to show up on the Interface. I kinda like to choose what missions I want to actively keep track of. The nice thing about the old galaxy map was that it reminded me of what else was active on that planet whether it was currently tracked or not. I definitely liked the old version of this feature better, but at least I know about it now.

Thanks for pointing it out. :)

Brings it into line with the other maps in the game - if you've untracked missions, you don't see the markers on planet maps (IIRC anyway, I haven't been in a situation to check recently).

I was wrong about one thing, it doesn't caret the individual space missions in an "Operation." That's rather annoying, but at least you have the mission log overlay now, so you can see what's up there.

I try and keep my tracked missions down to a mild roar myself - that character is unusual for having a ton of heroics undone, and thus a lot of tracked missions.