Lightning Sorc/TK Sage rotation and cooldowns

MikeFL

Hey all,

I'm running some heroics with my Sorc and Sage to get them up to 70 before the EXP boost ends. Looking to swap to heals at 70 and run PvP and GC stuff. However, leveling using TK and Lightning...kind of unsure what my ideal rotation or priority system should be.

Any quick tips on main abilities to use in combat, offensive/defensive cool downs, etc? Haven't played this class for a couple years. Thanks!

For heroics there isnt much rotation to stick too.

If their is more than 1 target, hard cast TK Wave/Chain Lightning->Quake/Force storm -> Procced TK wave/Chain lightning - Quake/FOrce storm till procs comes again, if something is even still standing when it does.

Single target, assuming a champion is a priority list, depending on your level. at 70 it looks like:

Affliction/weaken mind (if you dont have the refresh on it with Mind Crush/Crushing darkness yet, has to be reapplied every 2 Turbulence or Thundering blast roughly)

Turbulence/Thundering blast

Mind Crush/Crushing Darkness (if you have the proc from TK gust/Lightning flash)

TK gust/LIghtning flash

Project/Shock (at level 68+ only, with MC/CD ticking on target)

TK wave/Chain lightning (with proc)

TK burst/Lightning bolt (or Disturbance/Lightning strike under 58)

Reason TK wave/CL are so low in the priority list is, unless you have them " bug" to be always instant (which I consider an exploit to do voluntarily) it doesnt matter where you use them. In the normal rotation, Turbulence/TB are the one that proc the instant TK wave/CL, so you have up to the next Turb/TB to use it, its still going to come off cooldown even if you use it just before the next Turb/TB when it hits.

Tbh, in solo pve I rarely have to use that list, just soaking things up with aoe work plenty fine, with ONE tb to pick up the spare sometimes.

Awesome, this is perfect, thanks! Side question: is there any point in having the saber strike on the ability bar or no?

not really, except for the fun factor of charging something with your lightsaber. but its never efficient and the enfeebling strike utility isnt worth crap.

Reason TK wave/CL are so low in the priority list is, unless you have them " bug" to be always instant (which I consider an exploit to do voluntarily) it doesnt matter where you use them.

Actually it does :). Using Wave/CL right after mind crush/crushing darkness gives an extra tick of WM/Aff :), and this alignment happens pretty often.

So basically outside of polarity and recklessness a rotation segment would be TB > CD (or LF > CD) > CL > S, in other words CL has higher priority than S.

Edited by MusicRider

Actually it does :). Using Wave/CL right after mind crush/crushing darkness gives an extra tick of WM/Aff :), and this alignment happens pretty often.

So basically outside of polarity and recklessness a rotation segment would be TB > CD (or LF > CD) > CL > S, in other words CL has higher priority than S.

yes so long as you never delay something for it, or actually totally lose a CL or force the delay of TB.

The priority list is in general for someone who is learning the spec. Similarly, on my deception sin which is also a priority list to get 95% of the damage, I also have a bunch of "IF" to go fetch the last 5%.

Someone who understand what you are saying isn't looking for rotation advice on the forum however :) Getting that opportunity correctly requires you are able with a glance to double check 2 procs, 2 cooldowns and ideally see the occasion coming 2-3 GCD in advance to make sure you don't incur a massive dps loss by trying to capitalize on an extra affliction tick. If you delay a LF, TB or lose the extra damage on shock, you didnt gain anything. Especially an affliction that is ticking at your boosted alacrity rate, while you are in a non-polarity shift part of it.

yes so long as you never delay something for it, or actually totally lose a CL or force the delay of TB.

The priority list is in general for someone who is learning the spec. Similarly, on my deception sin which is also a priority list to get 95% of the damage, I also have a bunch of "IF" to go fetch the last 5%.

Someone who understand what you are saying isn't looking for rotation advice on the forum however :) Getting that opportunity correctly requires you are able with a glance to double check 2 procs, 2 cooldowns and ideally see the occasion coming 2-3 GCD in advance to make sure you don't incur a massive dps loss by trying to capitalize on an extra affliction tick. If you delay a LF, TB or lose the extra damage on shock, you didnt gain anything. Especially an affliction that is ticking at your boosted alacrity rate, while you are in a non-polarity shift part of it.

It's not really that complicated :), just swap priorities of CL and shock, rest as they are. Although missing shock dies not really happen, even if it did it's ok for an extra affliction tick. The only tricky part is not to drop affliction due to delayed.

Can someone look at this parse and tell me what I'm doing wrong, please?

For the life of me, I can't get above 8k. I'm at 1702 Crit, 1347 Alacrity, 3354 Power, 6193 Mastery, 756 Accuracy (with stim). Gear is a mix of 240(mostly)/242 with my head piece still being 234.

And I realized that I had this "increase crit chance" buff on me when I did the parse, so it's likely to be lower, anyway.

For the life of me, I can't get above 8k. I'm at 1702 Crit, 1347 Alacrity, 3354 Power, 6193 Mastery, 756 Accuracy (with stim). Gear is a mix of 240(mostly)/242 with my head piece still being 234.

And I realized that I had this "increase crit chance" buff on me when I did the parse, so it's likely to be lower, anyway.

could you link the parse?

Your stats are around the 236 rating optimized values from Bant's simulation. The 8k DPS is also at the DPS number he postulates: 8092+-246

So, there's nothing wrong. In fact, you seem to be doing as well as is theoretically possible. You should post details of the rotation you used to achieve that 8K and any additional notes, tips. Did you trigger the permanent, instant Telekinetic Wave feature?

Edited by mike_carton