The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Black-White or Black-Silver color crystals and a Darksaber like hilt.

I'd like to see either a new Black-White crystal or the Black-Silver crystal for sale on the cartel market. I know the Black-Silver crystal can be gained from ranked pvp warzone tokens, but people like me do not like MMO pvp. I just don't find pvp to be very fun. So, unless I just grind through pvp anyway, which is not fun for me, I cant get that crystal. I'd much rather spend my game time playing flash points and raids with my guild. I love Black-White colored sabers. I want to make one in swtor. There isnt a Black-White crystal yet, so the closest there is is the Black-Silver. People who did grind to get the Black-Silver might complain if you release it on the cartel market, so I'd suggest making and offering a Black-White crystal instead.

Also, my favorite lightsaber in all of star wars lore is the Darksaber. I like its strange, rectangular hilt and how its blade is shaped like how a physical sword would be. I would love to have a similar one in swtor. If we can get semi-versions of Kylo Ren's saber (the unstable blades and the cross guard like vents), then why not throw in hilts similar to the Darksaber? Bonus points for making it a shoto since in the cartoons, its blade is shorter than a normal lightsaber's.

The Darksaber is canon and unique (only ever one of them). Sincerely doubt Disney will allow 1000's of people running around with one.

Kylo Ren is the first in canon to wield a saber with vents and an unstable blade, yet SWTOR has unstable blades and sabers with vents (including cross guard vents). Darth Maul is the only saber user in canon thus far to wield a double bladed saber, yet that is a mainstay weapon in SWTOR, on both sides of the Force. Mace WIndu is the only saber user in canon to wield a purple bladed lightsaber (stated in canon to truly be unique to him) yet we have pruple color crystals.

Also, SWTOR falls under Legends, not canon, more things are allowable here.

Having a Darksaber like hilt and color items in SWTOR would not affect the canon in any way. Canon also retconned vibroswords (its what lead to the writer's developing the Darksaber) because George Lucas didn't like the idea of any melee weapon (besides electro staff/batons) blocking a lightsaber. The Darksaber was originally intended to be a Mandalorian vibrosword, but then the devs rewrote it to be a sword shaped lightsaber.

Edit: Correction in that there are multiple canon user of a double bladed saber, including Master Pong Krell, Savage Oppress, and a Jedi Temple Guard. There are others who used sabers with 2 blades, but they are different enough to be unique to them, such as the Inquisitorius's spinning sabers, and Asajj ventress's curved hilt sabers she could combine into a double bladed saber.

Edited by JorgeVander

Kylo Wren is the first in canon to wield a saber with vents and an unstable blade, yet SWTOR has unstable blades and sabers with vents (including cross guard vents). Darth Maul is the only saber user in canon thus far to wield a double bladed saber, yet that is a mainstay weapon in SWTOR, on both sides of the Force. Mace WIndu is the only saber user in canon to wield a purple bladed lightsaber (stated in canon to truly be unique to him) yet we have pruple color crystals.

Also, SWTOR falls under Legends, not canon, more things are allowable here.

Having a Darksaber like hilt and color items in SWTOR would not affect the canon in any way. Canon also retconned vibroswords (its what lead to the writer's developing the Darksaber) because George Lucas didn't like the idea of any melee weapon (besides electro staff/batons) blocking a lightsaber. The Darksaber was originally intended to be a Mandalorian vibrosword, but then the devs rewrote it to be a sword shaped lightsaber.

Edit: Correction in that there are multiple canon user of a double bladed saber, including Master Pong Krell, Savage Oppress, and a Jedi Temple Guard. There are others who used sabers with 2 blades, but they are different enough to be unique to them, such as the Inquisitorius's spinning sabers, and Asajj ventress's curved hilt sabers she could combine into a double bladed saber.

Ugh, Exar Kun was the first to use a double bladed; but I agree with your point of your first sentence onwards.

An alternative for the Black-Silver color crystal SHOULD be in game; I agree with the OP 100%. No one should have to pvp if they don't want to in order to attain them. I hated having to pvp for them regular version & striated: suckfest for pve'ers, I get it. Also, that it's too good of a color crystal to be exclusive strictly to pvp.

Ugh, Exar Kun was the first to use a double bladed; but I agree with your point of your first sentence onwards.

An alternative for the Black-Silver color crystal SHOULD be in game; I agree with the OP 100%. No one should have to pvp if they don't want to in order to attain them. I hated having to pvp for them regular version & striated: suckfest for pve'ers, I get it. Also, that it's too good of a color crystal to be exclusive strictly to pvp.

Exar Kun is part of Legends, not Canon. Otherwise I would have added him and the countless other double-blade users. But lets not get off topic arguing canon. I'm glad you agree with me on the pvp-exclusivity issue. Also annoying is that they aren't added to collections so you can only use them on that character. Meaning I'm having to pvp with my tank, while I'd much prefer my healer. Its just that my healer is a Smuggler, so no lightsaber for him. And then I cant share that hard won crystal with my other characters, meaning I have to do it ALL over again on them if I want to make a darksaber-esque weapon for them too.

Edited by JorgeVander

I see no problem with black-silver crystals being a PVP only reward. If you want the crystal, then do what is necessary to obtain it. It is really no different than the wings of the architect. If a PVP'er wants those wings, they will have to do the PVE content.

I also see no problem with adding a black-white crystal, so that the black-silver can remain a PVP reward.

I see no problem with black-silver crystals being a PVP only reward. If you want the crystal, then do what is necessary to obtain it. It is really no different than the wings of the architect. If a PVP'er wants those wings, they will have to do the PVE content.

I also see no problem with adding a black-white crystal, so that the black-silver can remain a PVP reward.

Yeah. I prefer that 2nd option as well, but since the only thing really close to a black-white is the black-silver, thats why I suggested the option to move it from being pvp exclusive. Is there was a black-white that we could get from some kinda gear vendor, or a rare drop, or the cartel market (preferably direct purchase), I'd have no issues with black-silver remaining a pvp exclusive.

Yeah. I prefer that 2nd option as well, but since the only thing really close to a black-white is the black-silver, thats why I suggested the option to move it from being pvp exclusive. Is there was a black-white that we could get from some kinda gear vendor, or a rare drop, or the cartel market (preferably direct purchase), I'd have no issues with black-silver remaining a pvp exclusive.

Even if the black-silver crystal remained the only crystal close to those colors, it should still remain a PVP reward, IMO.

Before anyone makes any erroneous assumptions, I do not PVP, so I do not have the black-silver crystal and I am not trying to "protect my interests".

It seems that some people want what certain rewards (particularly ones they already have), such as the subscriber rewards, to remain exclusive (as do I), but if there is something that they want, "It's too good to be an exclusive reward for something that I don't want to do, so BW needs to make it available by another means." That kind of attitude is something which I cannot support.

I do not expect BW to make subscriber rewards available again or to make the special PVE rewards available as PVP rewards, so I think that PVP should get to keep their special rewards.

Making reskins or different but similar items available by other means is a different matter, though. Do I think that PVP should have been the only source for any Nexu mount? No, but the specific Nexu mount that was a PVP reward should remain exclusive to those that earned it. So, a black-white crystal available in packs or by some PVE means would be fine, but making the black-silver available by any means other than PVP is not, IMO.

That is just my opinion, though.

Even if the black-silver crystal remained the only crystal close to those colors, it should still remain a PVP reward, IMO.

Before anyone makes any erroneous assumptions, I do not PVP, so I do not have the black-silver crystal and I am not trying to "protect my interests".

It seems that some people want what certain rewards (particularly ones they already have), such as the subscriber rewards, to remain exclusive (as do I), but if there is something that they want, "It's too good to be an exclusive reward for something that I don't want to do, so BW needs to make it available by another means." That kind of attitude is something which I cannot support.

I do not expect BW to make subscriber rewards available again or to make the special PVE rewards available as PVP rewards, so I think that PVP should get to keep their special rewards.

Making reskins or different but similar items available by other means is a different matter, though. Do I think that PVP should have been the only source for any Nexu mount? No, but the specific Nexu mount that was a PVP reward should remain exclusive to those that earned it. So, a black-white crystal available in packs or by some PVE means would be fine, but making the black-silver available by any means other than PVP is not, IMO.

That is just my opinion, though.

The main problem, from my standpoint, is that black-white sabers are decently popular among fans of the EU, especially after they appeared in the video game The Force Unleashed (1 and 2), followed by the Darksaber in the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons. But in swtor, the closest to a black-white crystal is the black-silver.

So it becomes more than just a status symbol for pvp, it becomes a stand in for the black-white crystal of those other sabers. So players like me want it for its colors alone, not as a status for pvp play. The solution that would make the most happy would be to make a black-white crystal that is available to a wider range of players, and leave the black-silver alone for the pvp'rs.

But as it stands, there is no black-white crystal, so it feels extremely frustrating that its closest relative is basically unobtainable by non-pvp'rs unless we force ourselves to grind through the pvp and take most of what we find fun out of the game. It becomes less of a game and more of a chore. Thats not fun.

The main problem, from my standpoint, is that black-white sabers are decently popular among fans of the EU, especially after they appeared in the video game The Force Unleashed (1 and 2), followed by the Darksaber in the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons. But in swtor, the closest to a black-white crystal is the black-silver.

So it becomes more than just a status symbol for pvp, it becomes a stand in for the black-white crystal of those other sabers. So players like me want it for its colors alone, not as a status for pvp play. The solution that would make the most happy would be to make a black-white crystal that is available to a wider range of players, and leave the black-silver alone for the pvp'rs.

I'm not against making a black-white crystal available by a means other than PVP. I would support the implementation of a black-white crystal, but I will not support making the black-silver PVP crystal available by a means other than PVP.

That would be the best solution, but if BW chooses not to implement a black-white crystal because that might "take away" from the black-silver PVP crystal, then we either have to do without that look or do what is necessary to obtain the look we want. For Johnny to expect BW to make a PVP reward available to him by another means for no reason other than he does not want to PVP but he wants the reward would be an extremely entitled attitude, IMO.

But as it stands, there is no black-white crystal, so it feels extremely frustrating that its closest relative is basically unobtainable by non-pvp'rs unless we force ourselves to grind through the pvp and take most of what we find fun out of the game. It becomes less of a game and more of a chore. Thats not fun.

I guess the questions that Johnny must ask himself are "How much do I want that look?", "Do I want that look enough to do what is required to obtain it, namely PVP?" and/or "Is avoiding PVP more important to me than having that look?"

If he wants that look and there is no close substitute, than he will have to do what is necessary. That choice is up to him, though.

Edited by Ratajack

I'm not against making a black-white crystal available by a means other than PVP. I would support the implementation of a black-white crystal, but I will not support making the black-silver PVP crystal available by a means other than PVP.

That would be the best solution, but if BW chooses not to implement a black-white crystal because that might "take away" from the black-silver PVP crystal, then we either have to do without that look or do what is necessary to obtain the look we want. For Johnny to expect BW to make a PVP reward available to him by another means for no reason other than he does not want to PVP but he wants the reward would be an extremely entitled attitude, IMO.

I guess the questions that Johnny must ask himself are "How much do I want that look?", "Do I want that look enough to do what is required to obtain it, namely PVP?" and/or "Is avoiding PVP more important to me than having that look?"

If he wants that look and there is no close substitute, than he will have to do what is necessary. That choice is up to him, though.

Well I pay for this game to have fun in. To kinda live a lil in a star wars fantasy. I'm not the one who makes the call. BW is. but there are plenty of pvp exclusive items that dont have as wide an allure as the black-silver crystal. If it wasn't so associated with other games and series in the franchise, it probably wouldn't matter that its pvp exclusive as not as many people would want it just for the look. Pvp items should be more about being a status symbol.

Well I pay for this game to have fun in. To kinda live a lil in a star wars fantasy. I'm not the one who makes the call. BW is. but there are plenty of pvp exclusive items that dont have as wide an allure as the black-silver crystal. If it wasn't so associated with other games and series in the franchise, it probably wouldn't matter that its pvp exclusive as not as many people would want it just for the look. Pvp items should be more about being a status symbol.

And having the black-silver crystal is a pretty good status symbol.

What is a better status symbol, after all? Something that people would want or something that no one wants?

Just look at how the forums blew up when the first rancor mount was given as a PVP reward.

As I said, I do not PVP so I do not have that crystal, but I made the choice not to PVP knowing that I would not have that crystal. I did not, however, come to the forums to ask BW to change the game so that I could obtain a PVP reward without having to do the PVP.

Some PVP rewards have had similar but distinctly different models made available by other means, such as the different rancor mounts and nexu mounts. Others, such as the swashbuckler's lightsaber, have not and remain the only such models in the game. it could be said that this gives those items a slightly higher standing among status symbols.

Would a black-white crystal be distinct enough not to "take away" from the status symbol of the black-silver crystal? I hope that BW does not think so and introduces a black-white crystal, but I will also understand and respect their decision if they choose not to do so in order to preserve the status symbol of the black-silver crystals.

Playing the game or even paying the subscription does not entitle me to everything that ever was in the game, that is currently in the game or that ever will be in the game. Paying the subscription does not entitle me to be able to obtain that which I want without having to do what is necessary to obtain it or by doing only that which I want to do.

Edited by Ratajack

Ratajack and JorgeVander both have some really good points. Yeah, there definitely are tradeoffs between pvp and pve; it sure is - how bad do you want something vs how much time are you willing to invest doing something you don't want to do to try to get it. If there was a white-silver crystal or a black-white crystal in game, this would help offset it. Whether you're a TFU and/ or KOTOR fan, the black-silver in game seemed to invoke nostalgia. Me personally, the white-silver in the KOTORs was my favorite, so yes, I was disappointed to see the only truly visible 'silver' color crystal put in pvp; I've been saying for years the pvp system is what seems broken beyond repair - wasn't fun having to push through that for the reward. But obviously it was worth it [for me]. I chose to take a shot at it, albeit not guaranteed gratification like, say a direct sale on the CM, but it was worth the wager: of the chance I'd get the reward I want over the time I wagered towards it. Not guaranteed, which I do like; it was more of my problem with the pvp system as a whole that discouraged further pvp gameplay past the point of my intended mark (as the "fun factor" just wasn't there like it was for the first year-ish when the game came out (it seemed to go downhill from there.))

Perhaps, we should look at more like putting a black-white crystal / white-silver crystal in game as a solution.

I've always typically found it better to add new content rather than rehash old content/ items; keep things fresh and keep expanding the game (content.)

Another example, from a discussion a couple years ago: newer players wanted a black/yellow color crystal and older players wanted to retain their exclusive content. It ended in a compromise mutually beneficial to BOTH sides: have a black/(noticeably) different yellow shade variation. Keeps things fair and actually adds to the game.

win/ win

Edited by Willjb

Ratajack and JorgeVander both have some really good points. Yeah, there definitely are tradeoffs between pvp and pve; it sure is - how bad do you want something vs how much time are you willing to invest doing something you don't want to do to try to get it. If there was a white-silver crystal or a black-white crystal in game, this would help offset it. Whether you're a TFU and/ or KOTOR fan, the black-silver in game seemed to invoke nostalgia. Me personally, the white-silver in the KOTORs was my favorite, so yes, I was disappointed to see the only truly visible 'silver' color crystal put in pvp; I've been saying for years the pvp system is what seems broken beyond repair - wasn't fun having to push through that for the reward. But obviously it was worth it [for me]. I chose to take a shot at it, albeit not guaranteed gratification like, say a direct sale on the CM, but it was worth the wager: of the chance I'd get the reward I want over the time I wagered towards it. Not guaranteed, which I do like; it was more of my problem with the pvp system as a whole that discouraged further pvp gameplay past the point of my intended mark (as the "fun factor" just wasn't there like it was for the first year-ish when the game came out (it seemed to go downhill from there.))

Perhaps, we should look at more like putting a black-white crystal / white-silver crystal in game as a solution.

I've always typically found it better to add new content rather than rehash old content/ items; keep things fresh and keep expanding the game (content.)

Another example, from a discussion a couple years ago: newer players wanted a black/yellow color crystal and older players wanted to retain their exclusive content. It ended in a compromise mutually beneficial to BOTH sides: have a black/(noticeably) different yellow shade variation. Keeps things fair and actually adds to the game.

win/ win

Yeah, we already agreed that putting a purchasable (or atleast in a cartel pack) black-white crystal is the best way to go. It will make the largest number of people happy, and bring in more money to the company. We are just arguing the points of the lesser 2nd option now.

Edited by JorgeVander

• 1 year later...
Kylo Ren is the first in canon to wield a saber with vents and an unstable blade, yet SWTOR has unstable blades and sabers with vents (including cross guard vents).

I didnt read the whole thread and maybe some1 already pointed this, but still :

vented LS was massively used on Malachor fight and it was mentioned that Kylo found his hilt msot likely at Malachor (or made one while was inspired by the one from Malachor) which automatically makes it not unique.

• 1 month later...

I'm probably beating a dead horse/wampa by adding to this thread but... eh what the heck? Maybe the devs will listen? I've got a few images of what should be real screenshots of a black-white (NOT STRIATED) lightsaber before it was apparently removed in a very early version of the game. I agree that the striated version should remain PVP exclusive as a sort of status symbol but for those of us who would rather avoid the heinous atmosphere of playing with high strung ranked players... a PVE alternative would be nice. Maybe it could be a crafting recipe you unlock through a cartel item and then you have to travel the galaxy to collect all the recources you need for it, maybe there could be a new world boss for you and your friends to fight (kinda like the force ghost on Ilum that dropped the raw magenta crystal necessary for crafting the colour crystal). The point is I doubt it would be difficult to add into the game. You could easily add a non striated black-white crystal as a simple cartel market item, something you can craft with a cool gathering process like I suggested or you simply take the existing striated crystal and make it more accessible to PVE players.

Here are the screenshots I previously mentioned:

https://imgur.com/gYzqm1F

https://imgur.com/EOIYElK

https://imgur.com/az6Uvwq

https://imgur.com/oZWkZz9

Well, Ezra found a cross guard saber on Malachor but he only found one that we know of. As for Exar Kun, he is now canon. See the visual book for Solo. An item of Vos' is made of black obsidian taken from the temple of the Sith lord Exar Kun. So now Darth Bane and Exar Kun, two well known Sith Lords of Legends, are now canon. I'd like to see a Dark Saber hilt too. If you want something similar to the blade (similar, not exact copy) try the Dark Honor Guard saber with a white black crystal and lightning tuning.