Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Whats up with the ping in this game ?

samsinsan

looking at the games i play i usually sit at around 30-42ms for eu servers and 60-250 for us ones, but when it comes to this game i play on a eu server and i get ms of 30-500 ish and it constantly jumps all over the place, not to mention several connection loss errors only happening with this game, so whats up with that ?

FEED YA DAMN HAMSTERS BW!

looking at the games i play i usually sit at around 30-42ms for eu servers and 60-250 for us ones, but when it comes to this game i play on a eu server and i get ms of 30-500 ish and it constantly jumps all over the place, not to mention several connection loss errors only happening with this game, so whats up with that ?

FEED YA DAMN HAMSTERS BW!

It's their back end servers because I've double checked it's not at any hops to their front end public IP address.

It's been happening for a long time. But it's getting worse

It's their back end servers because I've double checked it's not at any hops to their front end public IP address.

It's been happening for a long time. But it's getting worse

Tell me about. I play on TRE and even though it says 30ms, the ability delay is flat out disgusting,

Tell me about. I play on TRE and even though it says 30ms, the ability delay is flat out disgusting,

Try playing with 200-230ms as standard because I play from Australia. Then add 100-200ms onto that randomly all through a pvp match and that's just the lag. Then you also have activation lag as a seperate issue where it's like the buttons are "squishy", there is no lag around you and the counter is steady, but you have to spam a button for it to go off 2 secs later (if you are lucky)

This is all random too, except the ability lag, that's becoming a constant since 5.0 launched. What really gets me is they had this exact same ability lag when 4.0 was released and had it fixed with in 6 weeks. It's now 3 months and it's still not fixed.

Im sorry to say but i played the game for years without any issues actually. My ping says 80-100 but the game runs perfectly.

Pretty much the same here.

Whenever I see connection issues, I run a traceroute session in the background and then check the readouts and sure enough.. in most cases it is congestion or timeouts somewhere on the internet backbone between my house and the servers, which is not something the studio or I can actually fix.

I have had a few times over the years when there was unstable ping to the server(s) and traceroute showed it to be inside the server farm. But it has been rare here for me in NA. And when I have observed it, it appears to be after a server restart or maintenance, and will persist randomly until the next server restart and then clean from there on. So I do think that something inside the server farm can and will get glitched from time to time.

By way of comparison....Heck, I had glitchy video on my ATT Uverse last night and on all three receivers in the home. Reseting the receivers did nothing to fix it but resetting my gateway certainly did... so something somewhere glitched my gateway just enough to cause random intermittent video and audio issues on my TV sets. Given the nature of broadband services like this... there is a reason that the troubleshooting tips start with double checking all connections followed by resetting your reveiver, followed by resetting your gateway. I'm sure it's the same inside the server farm sometimes ... but you need accurate traceroute info submitted to the EA support site if you want any chance of convincing them it is inside the farm and something needs to be reset.

Editorial comment: as usual, when discussing performance issues with internet connections... people cross mix issues and get things wrapped around the axle. Ping and ability lag are generally two different issues completely, and only share a common server farm. Ability lag is generally something lagging inside the server and thus hanging your client in one form or another. Ping fluctuations on the other hand can be from a range of causes, most of which have nothing to do with the servers.

Edited by Andryah

Try playing with 200-230ms as standard because I play from Australia. Then add 100-200ms onto that randomly all through a pvp match and that's just the lag. Then you also have activation lag as a seperate issue where it's like the buttons are "squishy", there is no lag around you and the counter is steady, but you have to spam a button for it to go off 2 secs later (if you are lucky)

This is all random too, except the ability lag, that's becoming a constant since 5.0 launched. What really gets me is they had this exact same ability lag when 4.0 was released and had it fixed with in 6 weeks. It's now 3 months and it's still not fixed.

I wouldnt. I remember when ESO only had US based servers in Texas and I was freaking out at 150 ms. I refuse to play any game over 50 ms ping. My hat is off to you if you can deal with lag like that and not lose your mind.

Pretty much the same here.

Whenever I see connection issues, I run a traceroute session in the background and then check the readouts and sure enough.. in most cases it is congestion or timeouts somewhere on the internet backbone between my house and the servers, which is not something the studio or I can actually fix.

I have had a few times over the years when there was unstable ping to the server(s) and traceroute showed it to be inside the server farm. But it has been rare here for me in NA. And when I have observed it, it appears to be after a server restart or maintenance, and will persist randomly until the next server restart and then clean from there on. So I do think that something inside the server farm can and will get glitched from time to time.

By way of comparison....Heck, I had glitchy video on my ATT Uverse last night and on all three receivers in the home. Reseting the receivers did nothing to fix it but resetting my gateway certainly did... so something somewhere glitched my gateway just enough to cause random intermittent video and audio issues on my TV sets. Given the nature of broadband services like this... there is a reason that the troubleshooting tips start with double checking all connections followed by resetting your reveiver, followed by resetting your gateway. I'm sure it's the same inside the server farm sometimes ... but you need accurate traceroute info submitted to the EA support site if you want any chance of convincing them it is inside the farm and something needs to be reset.

Editorial comment: as usual, when discussing performance issues with internet connections... people cross mix issues and get things wrapped around the axle. Ping and ability lag are generally two different issues completely, and only share a common server farm. Ability lag is generally something lagging inside the server and thus hanging your client in one form or another. Ping fluctuations on the other hand can be from a range of causes, most of which have nothing to do with the servers.

Which is why I get annoyed. I do everything in my power to ahve a flawless connection. (15-30ms) and then I only get ability delay, which is just BW slacking with their datacenter / server maintenance.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.