Marking Targets in PvP 101

Icykill_

All I did, was not involve myself in a flame war on the general forum, I did no PM, no message.

I just edited out my response when I realized it was a gen chat thread.

The moderator's did this action on their own.

Now the topic can be discussed.

Making multiple threads on the same topic is very confusing, and causes points to be lost.

If a player won't come to the PVP section, they won't take the time to read a strategy guide in the general forum either. Specific topics to specific places, and general topics to general places. You get maximum readership if you post a specific topic in the specific place.

Well I'm glad you didn't instigate it. But you still missed my point and I guess you'll never understand why it was better in the general section.

I will just say this, you should know most pvpers don't need to discuss this topic because we already understand the fundamentals. It's why the thread is call "Marking Target in pvp 101" and not "advanced target marking in pvp"

Anyway, I'm not going to keep trying to change your mind. We disagree, leave it at that.

Well target marking works differently in pvp. Since launch pvpers have only used target markers to mark enemy healers in 8 man pvp and NO ONE else.

game has evolved, meta has changed. Usually you fight 2 healers nowadays. With the inflation of defensives, this means teamwipes are much more rare than 5 years ago.

So when defending a node/door going for healers is more often than not a very stupid idea. Its better to go for their most easy to shut down dps and play defensively. Especially on voidstar where the outcome is nowdays very often determined by kills, you dont want to "feed" while on defense.

This is just one example, there are various examples where you dont want to go for healers.

No offense icy, but you really shouldnt write guidelike posts, you obviously lack the expertise.

Its okay to voice your opinion, and its okay to ask others to adopt your causual like playstyle, but you should restrain from marking it as a tutorial or guide.

Damn Icy, it's almost like a ton of people LIKE having clueless newbs to slaughter endlessly and are chafing that you're trying to give clues to the newbs. That would be so unlike the pvpers in this game!

While I myself didn't benefit in this instance from the marking targets, since 99% of Harbinger pvpers ignore the markers anyway, I appreciate the time you've put in for many years trying to make pvp easier for people who wanted to do it but couldn't figure out why they were getting rekt constantly.

No offense icy, but you really shouldnt write guidelike posts, you obviously lack the expertise.

Its okay to voice your opinion, and its okay to ask others to adopt your causual like playstyle, but you should restrain from marking it as a tutorial or guide.

I smiled at the pun, though I highly doubt you intended it. It's not like Icy tried to help the community with her Expertise guide that doubtless took countless hours away from playtime, and other threads she's started meant to help people who are not pvp experts like you.

By all means, though, let's all continuously argue semantics and ignore the message! We'll have more pvpers join the fray in no time!!!!

I smiled at the pun, though I highly doubt you intended it. It's not like Icy tried to help the community with her Expertise guide that doubtless took countless hours away from playtime, and other threads she's started meant to help people who are not pvp experts like you.

Pun wasnt intended :)

I really didnt meant to offend icy or disrespect all the effort. But imho its just better to say nothing than to say something wrong, and OP is full of wrong statements. I highly doubt this guide will help a newbie, quite the contrary. Tunnelvision on healers is one of the most common mistakes new players make.

Pun wasnt intended :)

I really didnt meant to offend icy or disrespect all the effort. But imho its just better to say nothing than to say something wrong, and OP is full of wrong statements. I highly doubt this guide will help a newbie, quite the contrary. Tunnelvision on healers is one of the most common mistakes new players make.

There's a shadow on shadowlands, that loves to tunnel like this.

Every time they have three charges, I throw a taunt. Their biggest hits do reduced damage. For some reason they do not figure out the debuff they have, and how this causes their huge class damage spikes to not do much to the healer.

Despite maintaining high uptime and correct rotation, his/her DPS numbers are quite weak at the end of the match, and kill count is zero. Hmm, I wonder why...:cool:

Edited by ThrakhathSpawn

game has evolved, meta has changed. Usually you fight 2 healers nowadays. With the inflation of defensives, this means teamwipes are much more rare than 5 years ago.

So when defending a node/door going for healers is more often than not a very stupid idea. Its better to go for their most easy to shut down dps and play defensively. Especially on voidstar where the outcome is nowdays very often determined by kills, you dont want to "feed" while on defense.

This is just one example, there are various examples where you dont want to go for healers.

You know what, you're weak... it was meant to be offensive.. so be a man and don't hide behind "no offence"

You know what, you're weak... it was meant to be offensive.. so be a man and don't hide behind "no offence"

He does have a point, though. In almost every arena where there's a healer on the enemy team, they get marked, even if they're guarded. In AHG/Voidstar, where kills can actually matter, killing that facetanking Merc might be more beneficial to the team than going for the (maybe even good) healer. Sometimes you want to go for healers, other times you don't. Going/not going for healer in arenas is a constant point of argument of mine with pugs, and they simply don't seem to understand WHY you don't necessarily go for the healer first.

You can exploit Cartel market by adding those files to your game directory...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=917878

Leaked footage from pts for new iokath area

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=917879

How can anyone take you seriously when you start making these "fake news" threads like the ones in the general section to troll or to get attention like a child all because Eric is ignoring you.

... all because Eric is ignoring you.

He, and Bioware in general, are ignoring all their players. Just because we don't post threads like that does not mean we don't feel the same, or even thankful to people who do that and risk getting banned for it.

With that said, I think there's no need to bring class balance issues to their attention. They know about them already. They are just ignoring it, and if they choose to do so, they will keep ignoring them.

or even thankful to people who do that and risk getting banned for it.

No problem, sub runs out tomorrow anyway, so if they choose to ban me, they may :)

Until then im gonna spam them, not gonna quit this the quite way

Edited by Qwurdilu

He does have a point, though. In almost every arena where there's a healer on the enemy team, they get marked, even if they're guarded. In AHG/Voidstar, where kills can actually matter, killing that facetanking Merc might be more beneficial to the team than going for the (maybe even good) healer. Sometimes you want to go for healers, other times you don't. Going/not going for healer in arenas is a constant point of argument of mine with pugs, and they simply don't seem to understand WHY you don't necessarily go for the healer first.

He's just trying to derail the intent of the thread which was to help absolute new pvpers who have zero idea about using the markers,

I agree with "you" that always tunnelling a healer in arena is not always the best idea. Except arena isn't 8 man objective pvp, which is what this thread is based on,

I also agree that tunnelling the healer in objective pvp isn't always the best tactic. I'm also not talking tactics in my OP. I'm merely saying the convention in objective pvp is to mark the healers so we know who and where they are.

When people mark every damn class and nobody communicates or even listens if someone tries to, we end up with a massive mess and even worse coordination than if we didn't mark anything.

At least by marking the healers everyone understands who they are. Then the more experienced players can work out the tactics in dealing with the healers or who needs to be focused.

No problem, sub runs out tomorrow anyway, so if they choose to ban me, they may :)

Until then im gonna spam them, not gonna quit this the quite way

So you thought you'd just jump in and troll people who disagree with you.. real mature.. it will be funny when all the posts get removed and it will be like you didn't even exist... glad to see you go

So you thought you'd just jump in and troll people who disagree with you.. real mature.. it will be funny when all the posts get removed and it will be like you didn't even exist... glad to see you go

im not trolling you, really not. in OP you wrote in capslock to only mark healers. I think thats not something a new player should read. Therefore i critized your whole thread. Seeing your last post that is a whole lot more moderate, i can agree with that.

I dont see though why each time i critize your your ideas, you go madman and call me a troll. As others have stated i have a valid point, deal with it.

He, and Bioware in general, are ignoring all their players. Just because we don't post threads like that does not mean we don't feel the same, or even thankful to people who do that and risk getting banned for it.

With that said, I think there's no need to bring class balance issues to their attention. They know about them already. They are just ignoring it, and if they choose to do so, they will keep ignoring them.

I agree, bioware are ignoring way too many things that need at least some sort of response, even if it's, "we've seen it..."

I'm pretty frustrated too... but that person is just a troll... nothing more.

im not trolling you, really not. in OP you wrote in capslock to only mark healers. I think thats not something a new player should read. Therefore i critized your whole thread. Seeing your last post that is a whole lot more moderate, i can agree with that.

I dont see though why each time i critize your your ideas, you go madman and call me a troll. As others have stated i have a valid point, deal with it.

Probably because you make it personal in the way you word things. If you didn't I would happily argue with you all day. But as soon as you make it a personal attack I will no back down first.

Probably because you make it personal in the way you word things. If you didn't I would happily argue with you all day. But as soon as you make it a personal attack I will no back down first.

probably learning english mainly through online gaming made me sound harsh :D my apologies, i really never meant to insult you, and i honor your effort. There were some pretty usefull posts for new players.

He does have a point, though. In almost every arena where there's a healer on the enemy team, they get marked, even if they're guarded. In AHG/Voidstar, where kills can actually matter, killing that facetanking Merc might be more beneficial to the team than going for the (maybe even good) healer. Sometimes you want to go for healers, other times you don't.

Sure, but it's still useful to see where the healer is even when you are are focusing on the dps, so when you put that target reticule on the dps, make sure to put something else on the heal you removed it from, or they may be able to freecast for the rest of the match.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.