Gear for Story Operations in 5.0+

Hello--apologies for the newb question, but I haven't been able to find a guide that deals with beginners' gearing for operations in 5.0 and later.

I have a sentinel (level 40ish command rank) in majority 230 gear (head, bracers, and one relic are 228). I've been able to solo all of the veteran star fortresses, and by the last two I was able to do them without wipes.

Am I geared up enough to try an operation without getting yelled at? I'm a founding player, but I've never even queued for an operation... What are the minimum socially acceptable gear levels for things now?

Story mode are bolstered in a way that having pretty much anything in all slots should be sufficient. With 230 gear you are completely safe for all story modes, so focus on mechanics and rotation and you won't hit any troubles there.

230 gear should be sufficient at least for easier hard modes as well, if you have it augmented and if you know what to do. If you are starting with ops, start with story modes though.

As people already said, you get a very good bolster in all Story Mode Operations and can go in litteraly naked and still do fine.

In story mode there is also A LOT room for error, people shouldnt complain about gear at all as its not relevant in that mode with bolster.

Only things you really have to pay attention are mechanics and your rotation.

- Story mode has only few mechanics you really have to pay attention. Most of mechanics in story mode are really forgiving. You can still die though. Mechanics/bosses that will still one shot you are stairs boss in ToS, bridge boss in SnV.

- Story mode still has enrage timers on bosses so damage dealers have to do at least a decent job at damaging the boss. Enrage timers are really long in SM though. So, the only way to fail in this part is really, really bad damage dealers. Chance of you having enough bad damage dealers even in pug group is very low though. If you use something that even remotely looks like a rotation it should be enough. Doing something > doing nothing.

Edited by Halinalle

I have a related question about flashpoints after getting back into the game following a multi-year absence.

I used to be a semi-hardcore raider before 2.0 but stopped a little after S&V dropped so I should be OK with any "L2P" issues. That being said, what's the min level of gear I can expect to do well with for GF Veteran flashpoints? Master flashpoints?

I have a related question about flashpoints after getting back into the game following a multi-year absence.

I used to be a semi-hardcore raider before 2.0 but stopped a little after S&V dropped so I should be OK with any "L2P" issues. That being said, what's the min level of gear I can expect to do well with for GF Veteran flashpoints? Master flashpoints?

All FPs still have bolster, so you should still be fine in any gear (after all, level 50s can queue for Vet and Master Mode FPs). It is not as good as the SM Operation bolster, but it is still just fine.

So if you are level 70, you should be just fine, especially if you actually take the greens and blues from command crates and use their mods and enhancements to buff up your gear while you work for new set bonus gear.Pretty quickly you'll have effectively 230s except for the armorings, and that is more than enough for FPs.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.