Things I Appreciate about this game over Wow...

CKNORTH

Not going to troll wow this is just my comparison of how I feel when playing in both games. I decided to re-subscribe to my old wow account and a few things that I notice about both games...

I was pretty excited to play wow again it has been nearly since the beginning of WoD that I decided to bail on World of Warcraft and take a break. I just recently got a 60 day game card to try and get back into the game, few things I noticed off the bat. Questing is a tad dull once in the game its more about how fast you can travel from A to B rather than enjoying the process of why you are doing the quest in the first place, also at some point a flying mount is almost needed just because ground mounts feel clunky and slow in comparison. another thing I noticed about wow was that Que times for dungeons for DPS are horrid. after a while I just found myself sitting in Storm Wind contemplating life while waiting for Dungeon Ques...

Another thing in wow is the bling people have, sure its nice and all but it feels so overwhelming and excessive that in comparison to SWTOR it really seems WoW is way over the top and a lot more frustrating to acquire specific items.

now I don't want to totally bash wow more or less the feeling I get inside the game. there are a few good points I do like, battle pets are a ton of fun, I really wish that SWTOR would adopt some type of added feature for our little pets. another good thing I like about wow is there Herilooms. they are all free if you consider that they don't need any $$ to unlock once in collections and all of them have boosted exp gains. I really wish that this game would give us more armor and gear like in the DvL event that, 1. we can unlock in our collections and 2. have more than just one type.

Now the stuff I find in SWTOR that I appreciate over world of Warcraft. This game I find I am always doing stuff whether its being immersed in story line or PvP, I find that even if I am tired of doing something I always have the fondness about making a character just to revisit the story on a specific planet. Fast DPS Que times. and being able to go back to lower level content. going back to lower level content in this game is actually quite fun. going back to lower level content in wow makes you feel like a chump. the only thing I find in wow that it is on the ball with is higher end content as in they are always updating it. but it comes at a price even that game being 100% subscription based does have its flaws in crappy group making.

in all to sum up the experience of both games I think that yeah world of Warcraft is what most MMO's aspire to become. but the appreciation I feel from this game being outside the box in there questing and story telling is far more intricate than any other MMO. both do have flaws yet I always preferred playing this game because I always find that I can be creative in recreation of characters within its story. anyhow I hope this thread doesn't become a flame thread. more so I just would like to see comparisons from others in a Objective point of View. Thanks. :)

What I appreciate are the continuous updates. Having come in from another game that literally all it does is add one new class to run all the same old five year content - and what little gets added is one single room with a large HP piñata with no lore to speak of makes me appreciate this game so much.

I am one of those people who thoroughly enjoyed the vanilla game, had fun with Rishi and had the best time in online gaming ever playing KOtFE/KOtET.

It's true the game is not perfect, but boy after all the time I spent playing that other MMO with barely any new content it made me appreciate what we DO have with this game.

CKNORTH, I don't think of you as one of the people that just throw BS out to try and prove a point but I wait far less time in WoW for any level group content then I do in SWTOR. Are you on Euro server?

Nope I am on Dalaran was running a hunter level 54 when I started playing again I got him to level 65 and DPS que times on average are 10-17 minutes. I could roll a tank for near instant ques but I just got legion and boosted a Druid. Having a bit of fun. I just got my legacy weapons a few hours ago and currently in game gathering in Dusk Wood. My Druid is Ferel spec but I haven't qued for any heroic WoD dungeons, after Lich king ones I lose interest. :)

In all both games have good points and bad but questing in wow is really boring imo. But that's the nature of the beast with wow ;)

How much does it even cost to get started in WoW?

basegame + Legion + sub? ($20+$50+$10?)

never been a fair comparison, tor's been cheap to jump in for awhile.

Base game is $10 + $50 + $15 but with legion you get a level 100 character boost. After that you can follow story line they have for legion to get your Legacy weapons. Blizz is sort of catching on to the cut scenes voice acting a bit with WoD and Legion, but nothing in comparison to SWTOR. I mostly haunt old zones and solo old raids for chance at rare mounts. Soon they are changing the World of Warcraft game tokens. You can buy them with gold for game time or $15 USD for blizzard balance. I wish SW had that exchange credits for game time token or CC.. My god BW/EA would make a ton of $$ :)

Edited by CKNORTH

How much does it even cost to get started in WoW?

basegame + Legion + sub? ($20+$50+$10?)

never been a fair comparison, tor's been cheap to jump in for awhile.

Close.

+ $19.99 World of Warcraft® Digital Download (good for the entire Level 1 - 100 game.)

+ $49.99 World of Warcraft®:Legion™ Digital Download (Level 100 - 110 expansion, includes a 100 character boost)

+ monthly subscription (similar to here):

• 1 Month @$14.99/Month
  • 3 Months @$13.99/Month
  • 6 Months @$12.99/Month.

Soon they are changing the World of Warcraft game tokens. You can buy them with gold for game time or $15 USD for blizzard balance. I wish SW had that exchange credits for game time token or CC.. My god BW/EA would make a ton of $$ :)
WoW has actually had these for quite awhile. But I agree, not only could a game token system singlehandedly fund EA corporate's golden parachute program (err ... the game's return to being a legit AAA Star Wars MMORPG), but it would all but put credit spammers out of business too. Edited by GalacticKegger

Close.

+ $19.99 World of Warcraft® Digital Download (good for the entire Level 1 - 100 game.)

+ $49.99 World of Warcraft®:Legion™ Digital Download (Level 100 - 110 expansion, includes a 100 character boost)

+ monthly subscription (similar to here):

• 1 Month @$14.99/Month
  • 3 Months @$13.99/Month
  • 6 Months @$12.99/Month.

WoW has actually had these for quite awhile. But I agree, not only could a game token system singlehandedly fund EA corporate's golden parachute program (err ... the game's return to being a legit AAA Star Wars MMORPG), but it would all but put credit spammers out of business too.

If you are starting a fresh wow account they offer the battle chest on login for 50% off so it is actually $10.00 USD :) and I agree about what a game time token would be (the golden egg) of EA if they decided to offer it.. :)

If you are starting a fresh wow account they offer the battle chest on login for 50% off so it is actually $10.00 USD :) and I agree about what a game time token would be (the golden egg) of EA if they decided to offer it.. :)
I maintain a sub here as well as with WoW, Wildstar & Rift ... and I have lifetime subs with STO and LOTRO. Meaning it's been awhile since I've started fresh anywhere, so I was unaware of the battle chest. That's cool to know. Edited by GalacticKegger

Now the stuff I find in SWTOR that I appreciate over world of Warcraft. This game I find I am always doing stuff whether its being immersed in story line or PvP, I find that even if I am tired of doing something I always have the fondness about making a character just to revisit the story on a specific planet. Fast DPS Que times. and being able to go back to lower level content. going back to lower level content in this game is actually quite fun. going back to lower level content in wow makes you feel like a chump. the only thing I find in wow that it is on the ball with is higher end content as in they are always updating it. but it comes at a price even that game being 100% subscription based does have its flaws in crappy group making.

IMHO WoW does a much better job of people going back and playing that low level content. The early dungeons and raids have unique weapons and armor that can be used to change the look and style of your character. Players will go back and grind hours/days/weeks, to get these items because they like the look of them so much. That is added revenue for Blizzard since players are staying subscribed to do this.

BW, on the other hand, actually removed all of the named weapons that dropped from low level heroics and FPs. So there is no going back and grinding for those items and no more burning time doing so.

IMHO WoW does a much better job of people going back and playing that low level content. The early dungeons and raids have unique weapons and armor that can be used to change the look and style of your character. Players will go back and grind hours/days/weeks, to get these items because they like the look of them so much. That is added revenue for Blizzard since players are staying subscribed to do this.

BW, on the other hand, actually removed all of the named weapons that dropped from low level heroics and FPs. So there is no going back and grinding for those items and no more burning time doing so.

Yeah all BW has going for it is going back for story line. But with wow being 100+ and effectively letting players faceroll old content for gear sets mounts and battle pets keeps players busy between content updates and does add a lot of revenue for Blizz but imagin for a moment they let people in this game Faceroll EV or KP and World Bosses.. Just for cosmetic looks after all the complaining from people I had in previous threads saying "Raids should never be Soloable" quite the irony now... ;)

Ill always prefer wows game engine over swtor... imo its swtors biggest downfall.

Ability delay and failure has always plagued this game and it will never change. Wows gameplay feels very crisp and fast compared to swtor. When you use an ability in wow it happens right now, whereas swtor is always a step behind.

Of the 3 mmos Ive played. Gw2, WoW, and Swtor. Each one has pros and cons.

Ill always prefer wows game engine over swtor... imo its swtors biggest downfall.

Ability delay and failure has always plagued this game and it will never change. Wows gameplay feels very crisp and fast compared to swtor. When you use an ability in wow it happens right now, whereas swtor is always a step behind.

Of the 3 mmos Ive played. Gw2, WoW, and Swtor. Each one has pros and cons.

Well maybe in the future if this game ever has a sequel there will be more Pros and Less Cons... *cough* ;)

Yeah all BW has going for it is going back for story line. But with wow being 100+ and effectively letting players faceroll old content for gear sets mounts and battle pets keeps players busy between content updates and does add a lot of revenue for Blizz but imagin for a moment they let people in this game Faceroll EV or KP and World Bosses.. Just for cosmetic looks after all the complaining from people I had in previous threads saying "Raids should never be Soloable" quite the irony now... ;)
Blizzard didn't shift the game's entire advanced content group play experience to an end game that relies primarily on bolstered and recycled content ... and leave their leveling players high and dry in the process. Other than rearranging some dungeon areas WoW's leveling experience remains intact for leveling players. Leveling groups can still run dungeons and raids together in their original states. High level players have the option to faceroll them for xmog and mount farming, or queue for level sync'd versions (called Timwalking) to earn elder game gear along with the heroic versions of the latest expansion's NEW dungeons ...

• Black Rook Hold
  • Court of Stars
  • Darkheart Thicket
  • Eye of Azshara
  • Halls of Valor
  • Maw of Souls
  • Neltharion's Lair
  • The Arcway
  • Vault of the Wardens

... which prepares players for the latest expansion's NEW end game raids:

• The Emerald Nightmare: 7 Bosses
  • Trial of Valor: 3-Boss mini-raid (Patch 7.1)
  • Nighthold: 7 Bosses (Patch 7.1.5)

This doesn't include a full blown open-world continent with 5 zones (each of which compares to any planet in SWTOR's vanilla game) that takes dozens of hours to explore and play through its stories, a plethora of cinematics, a new class ... and an entire end game for solo players that includes solo instances, Class Hall quests plus 100s of World Quests. All of which has been added since August 30, 2016. Compare that to what has been added to this game over the same period. It's not even close.

Though SWTOR does have the best built-in MMO UI I've ever seen.

Edited by GalacticKegger

Blizzard didn't shift the game's entire advanced content group play experience to an end game that relies primarily on bolstered and recycled content ... and leave their leveling players high and dry in the process. Other than rearranging some dungeon areas WoW's leveling experience remains intact for leveling players. Leveling groups can still run dungeons and raids together in their original states. High level players have the option to faceroll them for xmog and mount farming, or queueing for level sync'd versions (called Timwalking) to earn elder game gear along with the heroic versions of the latest expansion's NEW dungeons ...

• Black Rook Hold
  • Court of Stars
  • Darkheart Thicket
  • Eye of Azshara
  • Halls of Valor
  • Maw of Souls
  • Neltharion's Lair
  • The Arcway
  • Vault of the Wardens

... which prepares players for the latest expansion's NEW end game raids:

• The Emerald Nightmare: 7 bosses
  • Trial of Valor: 3-Boss mini-raid (Patch 7.1)
  • Nighthold: 7 bosses (Patch 7.1.5)

Compare this (with a full blown continent that takes dozens of hours to explore and play through story) since August 30, 2016 and compare that what this game has gotten in the way of content over the same period. It's not even close.

Though SWTOR does have the best built-in MMO UI I've ever seen.

Exactly and that is why people keep going back to play it or never leave it. It has so much stuff to do for every type of play style, casual, hardcore, PvP, rerolling is fun "to a point" but here everything that people can do between content updates is play the GTN or spend $$ in the CC store. The other statements of what I appreciate about this game remain true, but currently I am playing WoW not SWTOR. For all the reasons you stated. And by the looks of things with both games. SWTOR will be less likely on my list of subscription budgets for gaming. Because all the content I love in this game ends at about level 50-55... Don't get me wrong the story is fantasti here.. But for replay value, WoW is at the top of my list.. :)

Edit: Just to add I'll be buying game tokens with there in game currency, next patch I will be able to buy anything I want from Blizz online market with token conversion to Blizz balance in a nutshell why not stack all the things I ever wanted just by playing the game...

Edited by CKNORTH

Last November I gave WOW a try using it's Free up Level 20 demo. TOR's UI and Character customization is vastly superior over WOW. As mentioned above (slow) travel was also an issue.

Thats because in wow you can download and use ADDONS.

You can download an addon that lets you do anything to the UI. Much more than swtor could ever offer.

Plus addons for nearly anything you could ever want to do.

Change the mail

Have a HUD displayed.

Boss times

Skill activation highlights

Cooldown times for DOTS that are easily readable.

Better buff/debuff bars.

If you can think of it, there is probably an addon for it.

However, In saying that, I'm kinda glad swtor doesn't use them but there are a few things swtor should look at an implement.

Mouse over healing being another one I can think of.

I can't say swtor does much that is on par with wow or even surpasses it. Class stories are awesome, the rest is jsut so so. SWTOR travel is 10 times better than wows so in that regard swtor wins out too. Game engine? wow wins hands down. Game play as far as skill activation goes. Wow wins again. There is a quality to wow that swtor is lacking and you can compare the launch of both to the 5 year mark of both gamers. wow just wins over swtor there.

Exactly and that is why people keep going back to play it or never leave it. It has so much stuff to do for every type of play style, casual, hardcore, PvP, rerolling is fun "to a point" but here everything that people can do between content updates is play the GTN or spend $$ in the CC store. The other statements of what I appreciate about this game remain true, but currently I am playing WoW not SWTOR. For all the reasons you stated. And by the looks of things with both games. SWTOR will be less likely on my list of subscription budgets for gaming. Because all the content I love in this game ends at about level 50-55... Don't get me wrong the story is fantasti here.. But for replay value, WoW is at the top of my list.. :)
If WoW had light sabers the only people left playing this game would be fans of the lore.

If WoW had light sabers the only people left playing this game would be fans of the lore.

Omg they kind of do. Remember gnome warrior starter quest for the two handed blue one?? I did some quest In legion and got a single hand sword one! It's in my Mog unlocks!! I was so stoked on that little itty bitty item unlock haha!!! :)

Edited by CKNORTH