Returning player looking for some Bolster/Gearing advice

kaydash

So I just resubbed and jumped on the forums to look for one of the guides that are usually stickied around here about which mods/pieces to use for optimal bolstering. But apparently I can't find any by skimming through the first few pages and searching (or googling). I'm mainly interested in gearing up a deception sin and carnage mara, and because of my work schedule I don't plan to play for more than maybe 1-2 hours a week, so if there really aren't any guides out there, would anyone mind helping me out in answering a few concerns?

• Which color crystals work best for burst specs in pvp now that War Hero =/= expertise?
  • Are a mix of crit/power augments still the way to go?
  • Is buying/crafting gear worth it or can I pvp with my old 208's and still do fine?
  • I read that the DvL is apparently bugged and bolstering with more stats than it should. Is that still a problem?
  • How does the upgrading gear from 230 > 236 > 242 work, and where/how do you do it (if it's even worth doing at all)?

So I just resubbed and jumped on the forums to look for one of the guides that are usually stickied around here about which mods/pieces to use for optimal bolstering. But apparently I can't find any by skimming through the first few pages and searching (or googling). I'm mainly interested in gearing up a deception sin and carnage mara, and because of my work schedule I don't plan to play for more than maybe 1-2 hours a week, so if there really aren't any guides out there, would anyone mind helping me out in answering a few concerns?

• Which color crystals work best for burst specs in pvp now that War Hero =/= expertise?
  • Are a mix of crit/power augments still the way to go?
  • Is buying/crafting gear worth it or can I pvp with my old 208's and still do fine?
  • I read that the DvL is apparently bugged and bolstering with more stats than it should. Is that still a problem?
  • How does the upgrading gear from 230 > 236 > 242 work, and where/how do you do it (if it's even worth doing at all)?

since expertise is no longer a thing, you can use any crystals you want that get you to the stat totals you are looking for. My main is a healer, so I use crit crystals. This same reasoning applies to your augments, figure out the stat totals you are aiming for for your class for example how much alacrity you want for carnage, or how much crit you would want for annihilation, then use those numbers to determine what kind of augs you need to reach those goals.

Some will say the gear gap is too huge and can't be overcome, but I don't encounter many issues. I have 20 characters on my servers, and most of them are still in 208's. That being said, naturally your stats will increase as your gear improves, so if you have means of getting 240's by all means take it. If you happen to be on JC I have several toons able to craft some of the top end stuff like augs/stims/mods etc. etc. if you have the mats for them.

I only dabble in ranked here and there when it's popping and there are halers in que so I can't comment as much in that regard, but like I previously mentioned, I don't really encounter any issues in regs, especially regarding the DvL gear.

You upgrade your gear through either of two methods. You have the Galactic Command level that gives you a command crate every time your level increases that has a chance to drop gear of the tier you are in (230/236/242 are the set piece gear for t1/2/3 respectively, the craft lvl gear is 2 ranks behind). The other method is by going through either Ops or PvP to supplement the remaining gear. Ops are stated as having a guaranteed drop of a specified type on the final boss 2/8 for 8-mans and 4/16 for 16-mans. each other boss will have a successively increasing chance to drop gear, but only the final boss is guaranteed. These drops are unassembled gear pieces which you take to the vendor on the fleet for that piece of gear. As for PvP you get unassembled components from PvP/GSF. Warzones and Ranked give 5 for a win and 3 for a loss, Arenas give 3 for a win and 1 for a loss, while GSF gives 8 for a win and 3(?) for a loss. you save up these components quite like the previous wz comms and use them to purchase any gear slots you may be missing or to upgrade t1 to t2 or t2 to t3. One thing to keep in mind here is that you can't buy t3 straight off as each tier requires the shell of the tier before it, like usual. Also be sure to strip any gear pieces you receive of mods/enhancements and the like so you can use them in legacy gear for alts.

The stats as a DPS you are looking for are somewhat personal preference but**

1,700 - 1,800 for crit. This is a hard rule for all DPS.

Alacrity is a personal preference but I shoot for 8-10%. Some classes benefit more then others.

Accuracy is still useless (debatable) so you can either go none or enough to get to 105%.

After you have attained the numbers above you want to use Mastery Augs over power as they provide a slightly better benefit.

**This information is largely based on wonderful work done by others pre 5.1 bolster change but I still believe applies.

Edited by Kawiki

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.