The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Can we talk about the uselessness of Jawa scrap if there are no Tier 10 materials?

RaddoNot

Hi. Jawa scrap is useless without Tier 10 materials being available on vendors. Please remove any rewards from CXP and Cartel that have these completely useless materials. Thank you for your time and thank you also for making years of crafting null and void. Have a nice day.

Serves me right for hording Jawa scrap, right?

I never disintegrate Jawa scrap. I use it for a lot of things:

a) Crafting prefabs.

b) Crafting color crystals and dyes.

c) The blues Jawa Scrap is particularly useful for crafting Dark Projects (namely for buying Exotic Isotope Stabilizers).

d) Use the greens to buy Metamorphic Cell Cultures and Anodyne Extract to put on the GTN during a Rakghoul event.

e) Use the greens to fill up provision gaps during crafting event (as in "right now")

f) Craft orange armor shells.

and, for for non-crafters:

Buy delicacies and artwork companion gifts from them. A bit less useful, if you played through KotET, due to changes in the companions available to you, but Koth and T7 can still be fed with those. (I.e. T7-O1 has "maintanence" as a favourite and Koth "delicacies". That's about have as efficient as something they love, but still the cheapest way to boost them.)

So, while it is true that they are not nearly as useful as I'd like them to be and it frustrates me every time that I run out of Signal Disrupter (grade 10 purple slicing mission materials, from critical successes on missions) that I can't just buy them from Jawa Scrap, Jawa Scrap is also far from useless.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

Fair enough, they're not totally useless. However, there is absolutely no reason as far as I can see for there not being level 10 crafting mats on the Jawa vendors. Every other expansion, EAWare has updated those vendors with the new materials when new vendors came out (even back when they jumped from level 8 to level 9 mats during 4.X). It seems to just be a case of incompetent oversight or laziness. I wouldn't think just adding new items to an existing vendor would be that hard--especially since they've done it every expansion since the vendors existed, so someone there has to know how. Edited by AscendingSky

Have the previous tiers of crafting gear always been added at the launch of a new tier of crafting? I don't remember, I am fairly sure not though.

Do a forum search on "Jawa Junk" and you see very similar questions to yours here for both tier 8 and 9, so I am fairly sure that they weren't added at the new crafting tier launch.

What we do know, for sure, is that for tier 8 and 9 they have both been added now - so it is clearly not a mere oversight as you seem to suggest.

I think they were added some time AFTER the release of the new tier of crafting, and I suspect they will be added again, but AFTER a while - my guess at this stage would be 5.2 - when the gear limit is bumped up somewhat.

This is by design, with so many of the jawa junk in circulation, would it really be sensible to add them instantly to the jawa vendors?

Edited by leehambly

Conquest conquest conquest

especially in weeks like this when invasion forces/war supplies are unlimited

Seriously, people jack up the prices of anodyne when these weeks come around, scrap is amazing to top off your dedicated war machine crafter for boku conquest

So that at least covers the blue stuff i guess. Purple... ehhhh, i got nothing

Edited by rylanadionysis

I mean yes, I think 5.0 has been out long enough that tier 10 materials should now be on the vendors. However even without this they are not completely useless.

If you want a easy way out of the Dr Lokin Alliace alert you can use scrap to get the materials he wants, if you do conquests then scrap will help you with any shortfalls on the crafting weeks. Also finally something I did not know myself until about 2 weeks ago there are a few green quality rank 6 gifts for some of the newer gift types such as delicacy gifts.

Command crates are supposed to be the primary way to gear our toons, (via the dropped schematics and gear drops) yet the material drops (jawa scrap) are useless for this purpose.

While it is true the top level materials have not always been put on the Jawa Vendors immediately, I think in this expansion, because Jawa scrap is a command crate reward, that these vendors should be updated immediately to include grade 10 material.

One thing I have found the green scrap to be good for, since it drops 15 scrap of that type, I never claim or disintegrate it immediately. I hold on to it until I have a large number (over 50) as it only takes up the single command stash place. Then, if I'm looking to get a level at a specific time to get another light/dark side token I always have a good amount of disintegration points to take me over the top.

I'm so glad someone made this post because I spent a good 5 minutes last night looking through all the Jawa dealers trying to find the level 10 mats. I thought I was just missing them or something, but to now know they don't carry them has at least calmed my nerves because I was getting so frustrated seeing as I couldn't find them. But I do agree, if we are getting them in command crates they should allow level 10 mats to be bought with them.

as far as i remember, the current top end crafting mats aren't added to the jawas for several months. like 6-8

seeing as it's only been 2 or so. this is sorta just petulant whining.

plenty of things to do with jawa junk. and lots of ways to get crafting mats.

if you absolutely abhor having jawa junk laying around. just sell it on the gtn.

as far as i remember, the current top end crafting mats aren't added to the jawas for several months. like 6-8

seeing as it's only been 2 or so. this is sorta just petulant whining.

plenty of things to do with jawa junk. and lots of ways to get crafting mats.

if you absolutely abhor having jawa junk laying around. just sell it on the gtn.

Apparently you don't play the game and don't realize Jawa Junk is legacy bound. :D Now if you mean the mats you can buy, sure, you can sell those.

It's useful for the 10 guilds that do conquest but I have thousands of jawa scraps sitting in my vault collecting dust.

I find the lack of tier 10 materials particularly painful in combination with the completely idiotic decision about where you can gather these materials.

I have high hopes for the Iokath explorable area in 5.2 in that respect.

But yeh, unless you do conquest, the jawa scraps are pretty much pointless.

Have the previous tiers of crafting gear always been added at the launch of a new tier of crafting? I don't remember, I am fairly sure not though.

As I recall, they typically do not add the latest level materials to the jawa vendors at release of an new level. They put them in later on, closer to the release of the next expac. I would guess that their theory is to let the player economy proliferate and set the fair trade prices for blue and purple materials, and then later add them to the Jawas.

As to Jawa Junk value.... it has good value for companion gifts needed for the companions that come from cartel packs or the CM. There is no other vendor for these gifts.. so they are in constant demand. I do a lot of buy low, resell at market rates on these on the GTNs. On average, a green gift will sell for 5-8K, a blue for 15-20K, and a purple for 65-90K for these gifts purchased with jawa junk. So that sets a baseline value in the player economy for the jawa junk of each category. It's actually proven to be a pretty good niche in the GTN for players to work. [Note: there are times when a lot of people are dumping these gifts as they cash in junk, and that will drive prices down... and is a good time to stock up for personal use or for resale later when they become more scarce. ]

In addition, you can purchase customization skins for the CM companions from a vendor in The Cartel Bazaar that also requires purple jawa scraps, and I believe these can then be resold to other players. I believe last time I checked the vendor, it was 10 purple scraps to purchase one. I have seen a few on the GTN, and they sell for millions.

As to the level 10 blue and purple materials..... frankly I find it much more efficient to just run crew missions for these. I have NEVER spent jawa scraps for them, as the value does not warrant the actual value in translatable credits for the junk on other items.

Edited by Andryah

It's useful for the 10 guilds that do conquest but I have thousands of jawa scraps sitting in my vault collecting dust.

I find the lack of tier 10 materials particularly painful in combination with the completely idiotic decision about where you can gather these materials.

I have high hopes for the Iokath explorable area in 5.2 in that respect.

But yeh, unless you do conquest, the jawa scraps are pretty much pointless.

You are sitting on a credit mine here Tsillah. Literally, almost free credits since you already have the scraps and can easily convert them to items that are in demand in the player economy.

As for level 10 materials... crew missions is the most efficient way to go for these. I don't even bother to gather green materials anymore, I just run crew missions. Net costs for materials from crew missions continues to be well below market rates for them... and given there is always a lot of competition in gathering... it is just a much more efficient approach. The improvements to yields on crew missions (particularly with higher influence companions) is notable in 5.0. Or, you could convert all those jawa junk you are sitting on into sellable items and then use the proceeds to purchase level 10 mats off the GTN.

Edited by Andryah

the wampa and K1-Z3N have different skins?

There are about a dozen different skins on the vendor now. I have not checked to see if they have one for the wampa yet. Some of the skins are nice, some are kind a meh... but of course player tastes will vary here. Wampa may just stay wampa... though I could see them possibly doing an "enraged" skin, or even a silly "plagued" skin.

Thing is.. they don't really advertise these in the patch notes as they add them.... so you have to check the vendor every now and then and see. It looks like a few months after they release a new companion, a skin shows up on the vendor. And some companions now have multiple skins. The only patch notes I recall noting the vendor and the skins, was when they first rolled it out early on.

Edited by Andryah

NOPE. Usually one or two major patches into the expansion they add the top tier. It did not happen with 5.1 so most likely with 5.2. If it does not happen with 5.2 THEN the OP has a legit gripe.

I make many millions from scrap. A shame they are bound or I would buy it all from you right now. :)

They are FAR from useless - 15 greens will get easily 60K, 10 blues 90-100K, 3 purples 200K+

Hmm, 15 greens 60k, gotcha. 10 blues, I can double what you are getting easy. 3 purples I can't imagine that return - I would be lucky to get 125 to 150 for 3 purples. I wonder if my server's market is that different or if you know something I don't. :)

Edited by Ryenke

Hmm, 15 greens 60k, gotcha. 10 blues, I can double what you are getting easy. 3 purples I can't imagine that return - I would be lucky to get 125 to 150 for 3 purples. I wonder if my server's market is that different or if you know something I don't. :)

Yeah every server differs and gift prices fluctuate drastically.