The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Current State of Dps Powertech

Hydden

Jug can do some dmg, sorc dps can kite a little, PT dps can't do anything.

Funny thing that PT is still viable in team ranked.

We can all right off Pyro as being 100% obsolete.

AP can still function with a full battalion of geared + skilled support. As long as you have high passive damage reduction and 1-2 spammable DCDs, a healer and a tank can keep you alive, even under focus fire. Problem is group ranked is all but dead. And needing massive support to function is super problematic otherwise.

As for AP damage, during the burst window it is strong. Outside of it, it is weak + terrible energy management. Add the gutted range, PT now is a support burst with some hard CCs and a taunt. Again, only functions in super organized environment. Even then, you are better served in the burst department by a mara, sniper, merc or sin.

The funny part about PT, is that they share most the of the base functionality and survivability tools as merc. And even though PT lacks the range, merc has significantly better survivability. This is not even remotely explainable.

IMO AP range, sustained damage, energy management and suvivability require help. Pyro even requires more.

Edited by Ottoattack

in this sick environement full of mercs, sorcs heal and some snipers, it's just terrible as a PT...

like said a guy i play the same, some damage with opener and go away to stop being targeted (if possible) and after grap a guy to be isolated with one only opponent (healer if possible).

we are supposed to be melee now but it's just not possible to stay and survive, you are obliged to be sneaky and use hydraulic like operatives with roll, to go back repositionning and wait to enter the fray again.

Edited by Thaladan

That's exactly the feeling I get when I play my Powertech or Vanguard DPSers, both specs, in arenas, with nowhere to escape you #1 hope is there is a healer, so at least you won't be the 1st to be focused and #2, if you are focused, there's little you can do to stop it, you can delay with freeze, shield and the weak koloto heal, but only for a few seconds, it's by far the most helpless class atm.

I really think bioware needs to address how absurd the defensive capabilities of mercs and snipers have become (probably marauders a tad too, that new utility was completely unnecessary) before they start handing out still more survivability buffs. I think it may be surprising how little PTs need, if anything, if they ever actually do something about it.

This defensive cooldown arms race is cancer and needs to stop.

I agree. Tone down the survivability of those classes before handing out buffs. If balance isn't done correctly we will be fighting with pillows soon.

I know a guy that plays pyro in a derp comp and does very decent. Also have seen a few good APs but that's it.

"Very decent" Lets be fair, you can do more than "very decent" with pretty much every class out there. PTs are the punching bags now. Which is why I gave up and went tank to annoy people now.

We can all right off Pyro as being 100% obsolete.

AP can still function with a full battalion of geared + skilled support. As long as you have high passive damage reduction and 1-2 spammable DCDs, a healer and a tank can keep you alive, even under focus fire. Problem is group ranked is all but dead. And needing massive support to function is super problematic otherwise.

As for AP damage, during the burst window it is strong. Outside of it, it is weak + terrible energy management. Add the gutted range, PT now is a support burst with some hard CCs and a taunt. Again, only functions in super organized environment. Even then, you are better served in the burst department by a mara, sniper, merc or sin.

The funny part about PT, is that they share most the of the base functionality and survivability tools as merc. And even though PT lacks the range, merc has significantly better survivability. This is not even remotely explainable.

IMO AP range, sustained damage, energy management and suvivability require help. Pyro even requires more.

Dot specs generally need more survivability. AP has more survivability, and has had it since 4,0. That makes -no - sense what so ever. Dot classes need to be able to survive so they can kill, burst classes should be squishier because they can kill faster.