Unassembled gear pieces, really?

Alex_York

So I actually like the system but one thing I don't understand, and I don't understand how devs didn't thought about it.

Crates drop 230 gear, 234, 236, 240, 242. Now the problem is this. If you dropped 234 gear from crates, well, you're fkd, because you can only upgrade 230>236>242. Anything in between doesn't count. Really?

So in order to upgrade gear with UGP you need to either buy 230 (even if you have more powerful "in-between" gear) and then upgrade it, or ignore in between gear (234, 240) altogether, which is confusing and unintuitive.

Edited by Alex_York

Far as I know the "in between gear" is crafted, not dropped. So Tier 1 will only drop level 230 gear but you can craft 228, and 230., and so on....

No, it can drop from crates. 234 purple drops for sure, because I dropped several pieces from RNG crate myself. Thinking about it now 240 I believe is blue and not purple, I think i was mistaken there, so is it only 234? Is it a bug then that crates drop 234 at all?

Edited by Alex_York

Yes, as you note, the crates are generally full of trash. The only things in them that matter are the rare set pieces and similarly named left side items, weapons and offhands. Otherwise, enjoy your component/piece grinding :)

For upgrading, yes, only the set pieces at the specific levels matter; MK-3, MK-15, etc. But if you don't get the Tier 1 upgradeable piece, then yes, you need to start spending components/pieces from the bottom to buy the Tier 1, even if you have "in between" pieces, to get the 236 piece. At least that's my understanding - I have only upgraded one piece.

The difference between the purple non-setpiece 234s you saw and the blue 234s (and the corresponding purple/blue 230s and so on) is that even though they are otherwise worthless if you are at or above that level, you can rip out the purple mods and RE them with a 100% schematic chance. Which is very nice. None of the others can be RE'd. IIRC the blue ones are lettered and the purple ones are not, which is also nice if you are still collecting mods/enh at that item rating.

Edited by stoopicus

Well ,I have over 660 tokesn which means i opened about 132 crates and I did not receive anything other than 230 gear and schematics and other trash, and nothing that gives a complete set of gear.

132 crates is a lot; and if i cant get a full set then I do not see what difference the CPX will make.

Are you guys saying that I can use the set bonus pieces to upgrade to a different tier? For example , I got a 230 chest piece (with bonus) from the command crate, I can use that with the command tokens to upgrade to a tier 2 chest piece?

Edited by Yezzan

Yep, that's how it works. You turn in the old (say, Tier 1) set piece plus a bunch of unassembled gear components to get an unassembled gear piece of the next Tier, and then turn in the unassembled gear piece plus command tokens to get the new (say, Tier 2) set piece.

If you never got the Tier 1 piece, you can buy Tier 1 unassembled pieces directly and turn them in to get the T1 gear, which you then turn in (again with unassembled components), to get the Tier 2 unassembled gear piece as usual. You buy the Tier 1 unassembled pieces with unassembled components as well.

Edited by stoopicus

Yep, that's how it works. You turn in the old (say, Tier 1) set piece plus a bunch of unassembled gear components to get an unassembled gear piece of the next Tier, and then turn in the unassembled gear piece plus command tokens to get the new (say, Tier 2) set piece.

If you never got the Tier 1 piece, you can buy Tier 1 unassembled pieces directly and turn them in instead of the set piece, again with unassembled components, to get the Tier 2 unassembled gear piece. You buy the Tier 1 unassembled pieces with unassembled components as well.

I'm still confused.

What I am, specifically, asking is can i turn in a piece of gear that I got from the command crate (with the required amount of tokens ofc) for a higher tier piece?

Your answer wasn't clear. yes or no will suffice. thanks

Yes and no :)

Yes, you can upgrade SET BONUS PIECES from the crates like the MK-3 gear, and also left hand side items and main/offhands that correspond to them, by handing them in with a bunch (over a hundred) unassembled gear components (NOT CXP tokens). This gets you an unassembled gear piece. Then you turn THAT in with CXP tokens to get the new gear, on a different vendor.

No, you cannot upgrade anything else from the crates. For example, you cannot upgrade the MK-2 gear (without set bonus).

Sorry if that's not clear, it's a bad system. That's about as clear as it gets.

Edited by stoopicus

Yes and no :)

Yes, you can upgrade SET BONUS PIECES from the crates like the MK-3 gear, and also left hand side items and main/offhands that correspond to them, by handing them in with a bunch (over a hundred) unassembled gear components (NOT CXP tokens). This gets you an unassembled gear piece. Then you turn THAT in with CXP tokens to get the new gear, on a different vendor.

No, you cannot upgrade anything else from the crates. For example, you cannot upgrade the MK-2 gear (without set bonus).

Sorry if that's not clear, it's a bad system. That's about as clear as it gets.

Yeah, i checked the vendors; still need unassembled tokens to trade up. This is just one big grind fest. Can't even meet ********n Dps checks in Sm content. Why they got Dps checks for story mode though?

BW really **** on us this time

Well, here is the math (someone check me):

Tier 1 Gear:

Eternal Command Unassembled MK-3 Gear (rating 230)

Unassembled Components (UC)=1,290 and Command Tokens(CT) =128

1. Turn in 1290 unassembled Components to get 14 pieces of Eternal Command Unassembled MK-3 Gear (230).

2. Take those 14 Unassembled pieces to the gear vendor and turn them in along with 128 command tokens for 14 pieces of Eternal Command MK-3 Gear (230) rating (these are the pieces that you can actually put on your character).

NOTE

1290 UC = 258 wins (not matches). Assuming a match last on average 10 minutes, that's 2,580 mins /60 =43 hours

Tier 2 Gear

Eternal Command MK-15 gear (236 rating)

UC = 1,940 and CT = 191

Repeat steps 1 and 2 above to get the actual gear

NOTE:

1,940 UC = 388 wins which is approx 3,880 mins/60 = 64 hours and 7 minutes

Tier 3 Gear

Iokath Mk-5 Gear (242 rating)

UC =2,915 and CT = 352

Repeat steps 1 and 2 to get the actual gear pieces

NOTE

2,915 UC =583 wins which is approx 5,830 mins/60 =97 hours and 2 minutes

TOTAL TIME TO GET TO TIER 3 (by using UC and CT)

1, 229 wins or 12,990 minutes (of game play)/60 = 216 hours and 5 minutes. (divide this by the average number of hours you play, per day, to derive the approximate time it will take to complete ).

Edited by Yezzan
times were minutes and not hours

Isn't it Exciting?

very. So, its better ot just try for the RNG boxes. Dont see the point in doing anything after you Finish the story line, casue everything is harder. This is just one big waste of time.

This is why I left 9D and BW decides to do the same thing except i have ot pay them to do it.

So I actually like the system but one thing I don't understand, and I don't understand how devs didn't thought about it.

Crates drop 230 gear, 234, 236, 240, 242. Now the problem is this. If you dropped 234 gear from crates, well, you're fkd, because you can only upgrade 230>236>242. Anything in between doesn't count. Really?

So in order to upgrade gear with UGP you need to either buy 230 (even if you have more powerful "in-between" gear) and then upgrade it, or ignore in between gear (234, 240) altogether, which is confusing and unintuitive.

Well ifts about the grind, you grind tokens to buy 230 pieces then you grind tokens to upgrade that piece to 236 and lastly you grind tokens to update that 236 into a 242.

Simple!

NOTE

1290 UC = 258 wins (not matches). Assuming a match last on average 10 minutes, that's 2,580 hours /24 =107.5 days or 3 months and 17 days (if you play 24 hours per day)/

I despise this system, and I am leaving because if it, but when did 258 wins x 10 minutes become 2580 hours? More like 2580 minutes = 43 hours. It's the same on the rest of your examples.

Well, here is the math (someone check me):

Tier 1 Gear:

Eternal Command Unassembled MK-3 Gear (rating 230)

Unassembled Components (UC)=1,290 and Command Tokens(CT) =128

1. Turn in 1290 unassembled Components to get 14 pieces of Eternal Command Unassembled MK-3 Gear (230).

2. Take those 14 Unassembled pieces to the gear vendor and turn them in along with 128 command tokens for 14 pieces of Eternal Command MK-3 Gear (230) rating (these are the pieces that you can actually put on your character).

NOTE

1290 UC = 258 wins (not matches). Assuming a match last on average 10 minutes, that's 2,580 hours /24 =107.5 days or 3 months and 17 days (if you play 24 hours per day)

Tier 2 Gear

Eternal Command MK-15 gear (236 rating)

UC = 1,940 and CT = 191

Repeat steps 1 and 2 above to get the actual gear

NOTE:

1,940 UC = 388 wins which is approx 3,880 hours/24 = 161.6 days or 5 months 3 days and 9 hours

Tier 3 Gear

Iokath Mk-5 Gear (242 rating)

UC =2,915 and CT = 352

Repeat steps 1 and 2 to get the actual gear pieces

NOTE

2,915 UC =583 wins which is approx 5,830 hours/24 =242.9 days or 8 months and 10 hours

TOTAL TIME TO GET TO TIER 3 (by using UC and CT)

1, 229 wins or 12,990 hours (of game play)/24 = 512.08 days or 1 year, 4 months and 3 hours (if you play 24 hours a day for everyday of the year with consistent PvP wins ) \o/

All of your math here is only valid for someone who never gets a single piece of set gear, or purple left side gear, from crates. Unassembled components are meant to supplement the crates, not bypass it. You clearly realized this, but what's the point?

Edited by Severith

All of your math here is only valid for someone who never gets a single piece of set gear, or purple left side gear, from crates. Unassembled components are meant to supplement the crates, not bypass it. You clearly realized this, but what's the point?

I would have had a full set of 234 gear for most of my toons, if BW had kept the old system. Because, I, like everyone else was grinding crystals and commendations to meet the new update; and there would be no RNG involved. So, you can leave your damn sarcasm at the door. I didn't change a system that was not broken and F it up, BW did.

The point is RNG and the fact that BW has now created a complicated and heavy grind based way of getting gear. The unassembled components are supposed to supplement the RNG, which was supposed to reduce the grind.

No one had to grind low level gear before. We all would have had enough WZ commendations to buy a full set of entry level PvP and then some, and PvE-ers would have had enough crystals to buy their entry level PvE gear as well. Those currencies were taken out and given as credits instead of converting then to the new system, or whatever. Now, most people are running around under-geared and doing harder content.

Edited by Yezzan

It doesn't matter what the intentions were. And it doesn't matter how Bioware wants to position it. Since the ONLY reliable way to gain gear is via the Unassembled Piece vendors, that becomes the de facto PRIMARY means of getting gear. All players will gravitate towards this, simply because it is deterministic.

The GC crates are random and unreliable, which clearly makes them the secondary gearing method (at best), regardless of the stated intention or goals of the system.

In other words, Bioware has their own system exactly backwards. Of course, it doesn't matter at all, all that matters is the emergent behavior of the players, who will clearly gravitate towards the reliable gearing system over the random one as their primary method of obtaining gear.

You need to remember that it just isn't set gear and not just left side items.

234 and 240 set items can't be traded in. Likewise 234 and 240 left side items can't be traded in.

For the exchanges you have to use 230 and 236 items for both set and left side.

So if a person did get to GC level 300 and only received purple items of 234 or higher then they will need to grind 230 items again.

Though you are correct in that if a player did receive a purple 230 item then that will reduce their cost since they don't need to buy it again. That is assuming of course that a player actually kept that shell and didn't get rid of it before they announced these changes.

You need to remember that it just isn't set gear and not just left side items.

234 and 240 set items can't be traded in. Likewise 234 and 240 left side items can't be traded in.

For the exchanges you have to use 230 and 236 items for both set and left side.

So if a person did get to GC level 300 and only received purple items of 234 or higher then they will need to grind 230 items again.

Though you are correct in that if a player did receive a purple 230 item then that will reduce their cost since they don't need to buy it again. That is assuming of course that a player actually kept that shell and didn't get rid of it before they announced these changes.

You're literally complaining that the items and/or mats you BOUGHT from the GTN can't be upgraded. Even in game money should never get you the best gear. Those crafted items are FILLER, while you wait to get the real pieces. You're phrasing it like those crafted items were forced on you. They're not.

If someone tossed their shells or left sides, and had experience playing vanilla or previous expansions, then that's their own fault. We all know how the system works, even when it hasn't yet been implemented in the current expansion.

The truly bad thing about the CXP was the massive grind, which made a little bit of bad luck ten times worse. Now that grind is easy. You don't like RNG? Try an operation. Takes a huge chunk out of RNG, because the people in the operation can distribute the loot based on what people need. You can even use your "pvp gear" for it now.

And let me guess - like me, you've gotten nothing in those five crates.

I got the t2 power relic, but I wanted the alacrity relic so I went and bought that one. 121 now and a few games away from my t3 belt, but I'm off for the night. at this rate, in a few weeks I should be able to hit t3 and start crafting 240's for people. I can craft 234's if anyone really wants those, but I don't think they're in high demand, lol.

14 crates and i got 2 set pieces which i had already gotten prior to the event. As for running OPS; PUGS gear with under-geared, under-leveled players cannot meet the DPS checks. Story mode content is not as easy as it was before, because everything was scaled to level 70 but people still in old gear that doesn't meet the content. At least 230 artifact gear should be easy to get but, naw.