The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Returning player questions about story only progression

Leovor

Hello, I just started playing again. I only had played Vanilla SWtor with a Sith Marauder till the Taris Story arc/ half chapter 2. Im interested in story and after reading several posts what I plan to do is to play all 8 classes story till 50 then pick my favorite in the Imp and Rep and play all post - chapter 3 content once with each faction, as I understand after Ch. 3 there is no more class specific stories. I have a couple of questions:

1) Will I miss anything important with this approach, story wise?

2) Can I get to lvl 50 with only class stories as a subscriber? I'd rather not have to repeat all planetery arcs and flashpoints with all 8 characters....for me once with each faction is enough.

Im currently lv 49 with my Sith Warrior in Belsavis (I think I did too many FP and space missions) and Im sure I will be 50 way before I finish Ch. 3, I was thinking to ditch all remaining Imp planetary arcs and do them with some other imp toon that isnt that overleved, since its the same story.

Any thoughts or advice are welcome xD

1. You won't miss anything important. The after 50 content is pretty much class neutral. You may miss out on some minor content once you get to KOTFE/KOTET.

2. You will have to supplement it with something especially if you don't have the DvL armor (I suspect you don't if you just returned). I would suggest doing the planetary heroics + class missions, they are fast and provide good XP. Though you did mention space missions also as i find these are very good sources of XP also.

Strictly doing the class story missions might not quite keep up the leveling curve, but what I found works well is alternating Imp character -> Rep character -> Imp character, etc. and as you go having each characters do only a few planetary quest lines, with different characters doing different planets.

So, for example I'll do an Inquisitor that skips the (Empire) Nar Shaddaa planetary missions but does do the (Empire) Voss ones, then a Smuggler that does the (Republic) Nar Shaddaa missions but skips the (Republic) Voss ones, then a Bounty Hunter that does the (Empire) Nar Shaddaa missions but skips the (Empire) Voss ones, etc., etc.

That way, even if I do get to another character that I decide to run the same planetary missions on (my Knight and Consular both run Republic Voss, for example) it's usually been long enough that it's not so stale - especially if you do LS for one and DS the next time.

Edited by DarthDymond

1.) My choices for running characters after level 50 for the expansions would be Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior, because of how they fit the narrative later on. However, you are free to choose your favorite characters in how to proceed, so don't let this change it. Those two were my two favorites, so I enjoyed moving them forward, but some may not.

2.) If you are getting Cartel Coins from being a subscriber (or don't mind purchasing some more to help you along) you can go into the Legacy panel, and purchase the five level XP expansions for class missions (I also purchase the exploration ones as well.) This way, I maybe play 50% of the planetary arcs. Also, I am sure doing more space missions (which you can also purchase more XP for) will help with that as well.

I found playing a Gunslinger that to get 50+ by the end of chapter 3 WITHOUT DvL armor, you need to play Class Story + (Heroics OR Planetary Missions). I prefer Heroics as rewards will provide you much better gear. Sometimes if you are too near the lvl required, some heroics may be difficult or take too long, just skip those.

For the prologue, i would play as much as you can as it will provide a good head start.

Use the 3 hour general exp bonuses that you get free during class story (some planetary mission provide these too, and if you clicked a referal link you get 5x1 hour of those in the bundle for each character) and buy class bonus perk on legacy once you have the credits.

Doing that i got arround lvl 55+ when i finished chapter 3.

EDIT: You can also Play two+ characters at a time. That way you change character (go to a cantina, fleet or your ship and log off) when you run out of REST exp.

Edited by Balameb

Only take 2 characters through Shadow of Revan means you miss the little tie-up mission each class has on Rishi. Some of those are very good. Other than that, playing just 2 from Illum through Yavin and then just one through KOTFE and KOTET will get you all the major story, other than a few oddities for light or dark choices. They all end up the exact same place.