So, why exactly are people grinding the best gear?

DPswfan

Your posts and LionFlash's post are extremely shortsighted and wrong. You specifically should stop posting this nonsense.

A lot of players want better gear so they have the option to do higher level content when they feel ready, which they will need to be successful. I'd argue that this group specifically needs it more as it will be a new challenge to them.

This insistence on the forum that gear is not needed or people should not strive for it is completely moronic.

But previously they had to do the harder content to get the better set bonus gear so are you insisting here that GC is better than what we had before as these players you speak of now have access to gear easier than they did before?

I'd like to add that (from what I understand and lease correct me if I'm wrong) there are players out there who were enjoying and completing the more difficult raid content before 5.0, and once 5.0 hit, they were essentially locked out of what they had just been doing the day before the patch. This was due to the level increase and no normalization of gear with the level increase other than obtaining new gear from the Command Crates.

Personally, if was able to complete my favorite content in the game and then the next day it was taken away from me and locked behind a gear wall, which in turn is locked behind RNG, which in turn is locked behind grinding... I'd be pretty miffed. This is the only MMO gaming company I've seen that actually straight up removes content from players and makes them earn/grind it back. It's borderline insulting that they would remove access to old content and gate it rather than adding new content and gating it.

That's exactly what happened to me, and why I find this new system so fantastically awful. I've already been on the gear treadmill for this exact same content twice now, in 3.0 and 4.0! Now they want to make me do it all over again in 5.0, except with the worst of grinding RNG they can produce, for the exact same content I was already working on! It got old after the second time, EAWare!

Although I have been playing Swtor off and on for a couple of years now, I have never bothered with endgame much.

This is why you don't understand why people are grinding for better gear.

For almost the entire non-Op PvE game, you're right, gear is almost meaningless. OP Healing comp FTW.

For L70 PvP, even regs, in 5.0 there was indeed no real reason to need to grind gear. Bolster was set to 250, and it was awesome because everyone could roll in (even with alts) and have a good time. Actually 5.0 pre 5.1 was some great times for PvP, in that regard anyway. I was having tons of fun regularly playing five alts. Not any more.

5.1 changed this by taking bolster down to 232. This is a 10 point gap between bolster and the top end gear. Game breaking? Definitely not now, probably not eventually. But once the mean gear level is approaching the top end, it will give a solid advantage to people with that gear, versus people being bolstered (like noobs or alts), given equal skill. And since you need to balance the game assuming an average or equal skill, it can only be assumed that the reduction was an intentional attempt by the devs to require a grind for gear in PvP. This is where all the salt is coming from.

Someone who does ops will have to comment on the grind motivators there, but I can guess from past experience running tons of raids in other MMOs what it is.

HTH.

Edited by stoopicus

But previously they had to do the harder content to get the better set bonus gear so are you insisting here that GC is better than what we had before as these players you speak of now have access to gear easier than they did before?

I'm not insisting anything. That being said in some ways the system is better then what we had previously. Specifically access to gear for all players. This is an extremely good idea. It expands the population for all aspects of the game. The really bad of course is the grind and RNG and is unacceptable in its current form.

Whether GC is supplementary or the primary way to gear is largely the debate right now or the angst on the forums. OPS players want it to be supplementary (if at all, though I've seen several posts where they want it exclusively), Solo players want it as the primary and PvPers just want to PvP on a level playing field (though there are exceptions to this rule also).

Myself, I'm a PvPer so if gear is going to be needed then I want a very quick way to acquire it. Personally going back to the old way would be fine with me. Two gear tracks, PvP is easy and quick to get, PVE gear quick and easy to get if you know the fights.

However, seeing the big picture it is very beneficial to both PvP and PvE to expand the players that can get gear as it will increase the numbers of participants in both aspects of the game.

Edited by Kawiki

There's a spot in the human soul for progressing and feeling alpha. Why do we play monopoly? The money is bogus. Yet we pay real money to feel rich and mighty even for an hour.

I tended to win skill based board games vs. friends and family. That got both embarrassing and boring. Once I discovered D&D (cooperative gameplay) board games lost what little appeal they had left for me.

Since I started playing MMO's my interest in gear only goes as far as being the best I can at my target band. The guild I was with two years ago was progressing on Hard Mode raids. NiM was for the crazy people. Having BiS was never a motivator. Having well tuned HM level gear was but only because it made progression possible.

These days? I'm perfectly happy running Story Mode. I'm far more interested in the social aspect than the challenge.

These days? I'm perfectly happy running Story Mode. I'm far more interested in the social aspect than the challenge.

I feel the same way. I have much more fun with cooperative games and games where you can story-only like SWTOR (or story with friends & family in SWTOR vanilla) rather than direct competition games... and this is coming from someone who spent a good amount of their late teens and early twenties being hyper-competitive in FPS's like Unreal Tournament, as well as MMO's, like Asheron's Call, DAoC, vanilla WoW, etc.

At first I thought it was my age (35), but then I realized that it can't be that because my husband is several years older than me and still enjoys not only SWTOR, but other competitive games like PlanetSide 2 as well. However... because I've been competitive and/or end game progression-driven in the past, I can absolutely understand where everyone who is disgruntled about the current gearing is coming from and I really hope that the devs can come up with something to put out the fire, even if it is reverting back to a 4.0 gearing system.

Edited by Edyn

again why we need gear is so simple minded, to perform the next step to a higher consciousness :eek:

mindblowing i know.

its like fishing with hands.

or hunting for birds.

it sucks without gear or the ability.

and in games ? !

simple

why the boss must hit me so hard ?

why is he set higher in the food chain ?

we are humans :rolleyes::D:p

so the design is alwyas like this.in games, in books in music etc pp

I'm not insisting anything. That being said in some ways the system is better then what we had previously. Specifically access to gear for all players. This is an extremely good idea. It expands the population for all aspects of the game. The really bad of course is the grind and RNG and is unacceptable in its current form.

Whether GC is supplementary or the primary way to gear is largely the debate right now or the angst on the forums. OPS players want it to be supplementary (if at all, though I've seen several posts where they want it exclusively), Solo players want it as the primary and PvPers just want to PvP on a level playing field (though there are exceptions to this rule also).

Myself, I'm a PvPer so if gear is going to be needed then I want a very quick way to acquire it. Personally going back to the old way would be fine with me. Two gear tracks, PvP is easy and quick to get, PVE gear quick and easy to get if you know the fights.

However, seeing the big picture it is very beneficial to both PvP and PvE to expand the players that can get gear as it will increase the numbers of participants in both aspects of the game.

To me the solution is simple - whether or not BWA are willing to do so, how feasible it is to implement and how long it would take are the more unknown factors.

*GC - stays as is with whatever time tweaks the want to make.

*Operation - Gets the old gearing system back. Don't have HM drop any NiM level gear like it could for 4.x.

*PVP get rid of gear altogether - skill vs skill. Change the Unassembled Component current to a new PVP currency players can spend on vanity items.

Whilst I preferred having crystals over GC I don't seem them also bringing back a general currency system.

I think the above is the best compromise that should please the greatest amount of players.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.