The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Ideas For PTS testing and invites....

Psychopyro

Since we are taking suggestions today, I have a few. I want to start by saying that for many years I was a dedicated tester on SOEs test servers, as well as for Turbine's private test program. I currently do hardware and software testing for SCEA. I know the ins and outs of actually interacting with QA as well as testing procedures and what works well in certain situations. I was also a Correspondent in SWG (I think there are a few others around as well here), which helped glean even more into the process.

With that said, I don't expect you to take any of these suggestions. I feel however, even if I didn't test this, these things would help with the people that do...

First off, Random Guild Exclusive Invites are bad. I know you want people who work well together and that is fine, when you test the Master modes of these OPS, leaning on guilds that raid together everyday skews the testing against the intended audience for story mode. You say you want to make them more entry level friendly, then YOU need to set up the groups. Don't let the top end set themselves. We have seen many times, especially in this game, where you leaned to heavily on a select group of raiders or topenders for all content, only to find out later that you over tuned it.

Second, don't hand out top end gear. I cannot stress this enough. Like with the previous problem, you added them together and it caused even more problems with SM tuning. Now not only did you have topshelf players, but you also put them in topshelf gear. This again skews from what you said you are trying to accomplish. When your goal is to lower the entry threshold, you need to make sure the roadmap reflects this direction.

Third, get some people willing to test OTHER stuff. Again this is not something I can stress enough. We have seen a many patches and updates break unintended things that did not get tested because no one wants to do the grunt work. Find people willing to do the dirty stuff. Yes, a lot of people just want the glam work. However you will find that there are a lot of us out there willing to get dirty. We play this game and understand it needs to GROW to stay alive. It may not be glamorous work, but it is needed.

It's OK to ask testers if they know anyone else that may be helpful, but at the same time, don't take it at face value. Actually make these people say why they would be good at it.

Have your testers apply. You got 2 weeks or so, and I know that is short notice. But you need to actually know that the people coming to test are not just trying to get a leg up. You need to know that they are in it to win it. Ask them to include a sample bug report with their app. Seriously make them understand they are there to test and make it better, not for a free ride. If you want help, I'll gladly volunteer to help you sort thru it (I know you won't take the help, but really I would).

Communicate expectations. Again, your designer knows the intended mechanics and behavior. Communicate how you EXPECT it to work and let the testers try and break it. Most people who test are a creative bunch. We do things you'd never expect, even I still get amazed sometimes at what hairbrained ideas we come up with. But if we don't know how it works, we don't know what to look for and think humm, how can we break it.

Don't character copy, at first.. I know people will want to use their character that they are familiar with. That's great and there is a time for that, it's called fine tuning. You need to control gear situations. You need to control builds. You need to control group make up. You need to control who is grouping with who. I never liked the term Quality Assurance, because what you are really doing is Quality CONTROL. And that control is important.

These are my main suggestions. Again I don't expect you to use all (or any). But from experience these things are invaluable testing protocols that I believe would help with the testing.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me.

I agree on some but disagree on others. They can make SM has easy as possible but whatever they do Master Mode better not be a joke cleared in one day. Hence why you need the few remaining raiding guilds to test it. Having Master mode tuned to be an actual faceroll because everyone on the PTS is SM hero would be even worse than Hardmare. If anyone in their mom can kill it day one without gear upgrades or learning mechanics it's a waste.

A better idea is having it open PTS like DF and DP NiM were. This time when they tell you a fights a joke in NiM ramp it up please. Especially since the guy designing the first fight did the Revan fight. I expect pain and 10000 wipes because it is tuned that hard and Most important new mechanics.

Again SM snooze fest I could care less just don't fudge up Master Mode.

Edited by FerkWork

Like I said though, there is a time and a place for coordinated groups to test. When they get to that point. The problems with Oricion and why a public PTS can be bad is because they did not take into account someone freshly leveling up and doing the non raid stuff. It is something they need to take into account. They got better compared to RotHC, but there were still LOTS of problems. The other problem with a public PTS is story leaks. Yes it will happen, but they can lessen it.

Not everyone going to Iokath is going to be in top end gear. Remember it's not just a raid here... There is more to it then just that. They need to take all of it into account. I know several players that tried to do RotHC after it launched and left because of the steep curve. Same with Oricon. Nothing will drive people off like a big, unintentional brick wall.