The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Any1 else wanna know what were paying for?

MVPddark

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

fact is there r games out there which r also mmo's that can do the same but for free, it seems that u all just like to throw ur mums money around without a thought of what ur actually doing with it lmao

if hosting is so expensive then y is it that guildwars can let you play for free and give you content? And with other things you pay for you can buy the game and still play without having to pay a subscription.... most games come with an OPTIONAL fee that gives you added benifits, like with xbox.. you can still play the games you buy without having to pay to go online.

like i said it comes down to greed.

So basically you are upset that a company has the audacity to want to make money on a product they make. If that's how you feel then don't play. The game is a luxury, not a necessity. You are basically asking why do we pay for groceries, movies, gas, cable TV, internet service, electricity, water, and anything else you have to pay money for.

You have to take into account that there is a development team fixing bugs and making new content. There are people hired to field customer service calls. They have to pay for servers and the bandwidth to allow us all on to play.

If there was no chance for profit then what motivation do companies have to make anything.

Also those Free to Play MMO's get your money in other ways. Namely micro transactions where you pay to get additional stuff.

I really doubt you are going to get many people supporting your "I'm entitled to not pay for anything" attitude.

Couldn't agree more with the original poster on most points. So much it could have been and so much it isn't. I'm SO trying to like the game but right now I feel like I'm just keeping EA, Lucas and Bioware employee's employed not getting to enjoy a good game.

I played GW, it was terrible in my opinion. Not worth my time even though it was free.

As to my post, the point was that is a business. If you don't like it, take your dollars elsewhere and there will be less reason for this business model to persist. As it is, the EA's and Blizzards of the world make far more money then the developer behind GW which allows them to put out other high quality games.

But again, if you do not like the model, do not participate. Games like EQ, DAOC, UO, WOW, SWG and SWTOR have proved that people are willing, able, and anxious to pay to play.

Ncsoft, pays arenanet to make guildwars and guildwars 2. Your theory is wrong. Try again.

You mean online games that have upkeep should be a charity?

Personally, I waste more money on cable than I do this game. I only use that for football on sundays and I play this all week.

14 dollars a month is roughly 1 hour of work for the average person. If its too much, or not worth it to you, dont let the door hit ya on the way out bud.

Someone put it like this, at ~$15/month, you get endless hours of entertainment. For me, ~$15 doesn't even cover a movie with a friend, and that is 2hrs if lucky. So I skip one movie a month and get 20, 40 or more hours of play time. Seems pretty cheap to me to be honest. Esp taking in to consideration that I try and play a min 2hrs/day, which would be 60hr/month / $15 = $0.25/hr - Pretty good!!

I can't remember the last time I could even use a public pay phone for $0.25/hr

And they do and will continue to have micro-transactions.

Micro transactions, for vanity items? Oh gosh no... You can't buy anything in guildwars other than vanity items, and merc slots that can't be gotten from just playing the game. Try again.

Edited by Metsuro

Couldn't agree more with the original poster on most points. So much it could have been and so much it isn't. I'm SO trying to like the game but right now I feel like I'm just keeping EA, Lucas and Bioware employee's employed not getting to enjoy a good game.

That is a totally different issue.

You're saying that you basically don't enjoy the game, or not as much as you would like. That is entirely fine but it is a different issue from whether it is right or wrong to charge a monthly fee.

Here is a legit question.... *** am i paying for...

i go into gamestation to get this game coz my mate says its quite a fun mmo, to find that i am being asked to pay £45 for the game. Ok fine i can deal with that, new release title ect you expect to be paying £30 and up. However i then notice that you need to have an online subscription to play.... of £9 a month. So what have i paid £45 for?

This game is made by a bunch of greedy *****s just like that of WoW. They arnt happy enough to make the millions out of you by selling the game alone, they have to go that 1 bit further and squeeze as much out of you as they possibly can. Think of games like Guildwars. Im sure most of you MMO fans will have played guildwars, and found that after paying your £20 for the game you dont have to pay any more and you get all content and updates absolutely free.. Why is it that they can do it and SWTOR cant? and its all down to greed. Tbh if your gunna expect people to pay to play the game then make the game itself free.. how can you charge some1 so much for a bunch of discs they cant use untill they pay you more.

Before u all sit there going troll.. troll.. troll, think about it... what is that £9 a month ur paying actually buying you that the £45 you paid to get the game didnt.... ur not getting any benifits, any added content or anything like that just teh ability to play the game you already bought

Good MMOs cost a lot to make.

This one cost more than $100 Million. If they made the game free. How in the heck would they get their investment back?

Guild wars is not an mmo NC soft repeatedly says it's not an mmo.

Guild wars is an instanced single player game. they only parts of the game where you are present with the other players is the towns the the dungeon "lobbies" unless you party with a friend to wonder around in your own instanced content.

Guild wars has no subscription fees because you in fact are hosting a majority of the content.

Your money goes towards the 4 years of salaries that was paid to all the employees who were working on a project that had zero income until presales opened. Your money goes towards hosting servers farms that need to handle thousands or people in a persistently online world. Your money goes towards funding the constant flow of content being made for the game.

This isn't call of duty my friend, it's a real MMO.

Let's not forget that NCsoft is also running a monthly subscription game in Aion (yes I know going free to play in Europe but whatever)

Also, check out all these awesome things you can buy for guild wars

https://secure.ncsoft.com/cgi-bin/Store.pl?dnv=6679174414&action=toggleCategory&category=4

totally not micro-transactions though.

oh no... 5 expansions and a dozen costumes... so game breaking. They did micro transaction the correct way. They sell nothing other than vanity items, than you can't already get in game.

um guild wars was not even a triple aaa title much less a triple AAA title. good game yes, but it made money primarily off those that didnt want to pay a monthly fee. guild wars was not a mmo, i hardly ever even saw anyone in game, not even in the lobby.

now guild wars 2 looks to be a true and proper mmo. but its not like there is never gonna be a fee for gw2. they are already gonna have a item shop and there will be constant expansion packs every 8 months or so that is gonna cost you more money.

so quit throwing guild wars out there, it was not even a mmo, if you dont like the monthly fee so much then dont play.

Skill unlock packs for pvp?

Word

Oh, so you make make a pvp character without playing the game, and have skills to give him? Or... make a pve character that is still a pvp character, but now you get the story too?

God you havn't even read any of the descriptions have you?

Pvp characters and unlock packs allow you to make a character for the sole purpose of pvp and get the skills right off the bat. If not you make a pve character and gain the skills through out the story, and playing the game.

Edited by Metsuro

Let's not forget that NCsoft is also running a monthly subscription game in Aion (yes I know going free to play in Europe but whatever)

Also, check out all these awesome things you can buy for guild wars

https://secure.ncsoft.com/cgi-bin/Store.pl?dnv=6679174414&action=toggleCategory&category=4

totally not micro-transactions though.

Dont be daft they arent micro-transactions. They are just purchases of small amounts of data that get applied to your account in game and that supplement the development studios income to allow further content to be created and to manage their running costs.

Everyone knows Guild Wars is completely free and that NCSoft make it just so that the boys and girls of the world can have fun playing it.

Next you'll be telling us they are a business that was founded with the specific goal of making a profit.

Oh, so you make make a pvp character without playing the game, and have skills to give him? Or... make a pve character that is still a pvp character, but now you get the story too?

God you havn't even read any of the descriptions have you?

Don't have to, they have micro-transaction. Regardless of how insignificant they are they are there.

P.S.

I love how you ignore that the same company runs AION which is a subscription MMO.

Edited by Chrisamcnicholas

Ncsoft, pays arenanet to make guildwars and guildwars 2. Your theory is wrong. Try again.

Its not my theory, it is reality. The P2P games I listed in my post were some of the most popular of all time, not to mention several that I left off the list. I can think of one successful F2P game, and that is GW.

If you want to mention other games that are true F2P games that are successful, then please do so. And do not post ones that started out as P2P but failed so decided to go F2P as a consolation.

Don't forget, when you break it down you are paying roughly 2-3 cents an hour to play the game.

To the OP. We don't live in a utopian society where nothing has a cost. If you don't want to pay for anything you are going to have to work for it. Scavange trash bins to build your servers, develop your own game and try to get a staff to volunteer their time to make your AAA title. Let us all know how it goes. You seem to want others to donate their life to giving you a luxury, least you can do is reciprocate.

This thread is Exhibit A for why we're in an economic mess. People don't understand the cost of doing business. The whining of these forums is second only to the puerile belief that BioWare is trying to "screw" their customer base.

You're paying for the development of a game that has no end. People don't work for free in a capitalist society. You could certainly argue til you're blue in the face that they should. The result of course...is North Korea. And let me let you in on a little secret, you don't get innovative products like MMO's in North Korea.

Don't have to, they have micro-transaction. Regardless of how insignificant they are they are there.

P.S.

I love how you ignore that the same company runs AION which is a subscription MMO.

They also... the publisher, not the running company of guild wars. Aion is made and produced by ncsoft west. Not another company, which has no relation to guild wars.

And it doesn't matter WoW is a micro-transaction game with a subscription. How can you ignore that fact?

I can think of one successful F2P game, and that is GW.

GW isn't really F2P anyway. You may not have to pay a monthly fee, but between all the skill packs, pet packs, and expansion packs that you have to buy, it's hardly a F2P game.

In fact that was the whole idea when it came out. NCSoft though they could get by without a monthly sub fee, by using micro-transactions and frequent expansion packs for $20-$30.

This thread is Exhibit A for why we're in an economic mess. People don't understand the cost of doing business. The whining of these forums is second only to the puerile belief that BioWare is trying to "screw" their customer base.

You're paying for the development of a game that has no end. People don't work for free in a capitalist society. You could certainly argue til you're blue in the face that they should. The result of course...is North Korea. And let me let you in on a little secret, you don't get innovative products like MMO's in North Korea.

Trolls are immune to common sense, hence the flame response since I hear they're not fire resistant.