The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

[Bolster] Why are we made to farm 230 gears?

Warvey

okay Bioware please explain why you make new players slog through your awful RNG system when old 208 gear players are owning people with 230s. i just farmed 240 rating items and people with 208s are still performing better/close to 240s with your terrible bolster system. I thought 5.0 was meant to bring in new players and bring back players who have left. but this...this is just....

bolster is ****ed up.

RNG ****ed up.

Unsubscribing unless you fix this

Edited by Warvey

okay Bioware please explain why you make new players slog through your awful RNG system when old 208 gear players are owning people with 230s. i just farmed 240 rating items and people with 208s are still performing better/close to 240s with your terrible bolster system.

bolster is ****ed up.

RNG ****ed up.

Are we talking set or not set bonus gear?

is it fair that 208 gear sets also match in with 230 gear sets. these "entitled" players have full effects without ever needing to farm Command Rank. I know a couple of people making it to Command Rank 40+ without a single set piece. me included my first set item was at rank 34.

How does this set into Bioware's "Work hard and get rewarded" philosophy for 5.0 gear system.

work hard and still suck because people with old gear can **** on you.

whatever those morons who supported this broken *** system said when 5.0 gearing started like

-fair play

-everybody will start the same

-no one gets ahead of anybody

ALL WRONG

Edited by Warvey

Bolster is frustrating AF now in warzones. You pretty much have to change your gear up in the warzone in order to see what your stats are.

Nah, just go to the Bolsterizer. It's on the fleet vanguard vessel (Ziost Shadow for the good guys, not sure what the name of the Brown Team ship is.)

okay Bioware please explain why you make new players slog through your awful RNG system when old 208 gear players are owning people with 230s. i just farmed 240 rating items and people with 208s are still performing better/close to 240s with your terrible bolster system. I thought 5.0 was meant to bring in new players and bring back players who have left. but this...this is just....

bolster is ****ed up.

RNG ****ed up.

Set bonuses

bolster is ****ed up.

RNG ****ed up.

So bolster is giving under geared players the ability to perform on par with those in 240's and you're complaining about it? Do you understand that is the ENTIRE point of bolster? PvP should come down to player skill not gear. I hate saying the cliche "learn to play issue" but I really think it applies here.

So bolster is giving under geared players the ability to perform on par with those in 240's and you're complaining about it? Do you understand that is the ENTIRE point of bolster? PvP should come down to player skill not gear. I hate saying the cliche "learn to play issue" but I really think it applies here.

Then make it easier to obtain gear instead. Bolster is exploitable in every single iteration as it is now. It's broken.

Actually it's not. Go have a read of Hotties thread on gearing. She has been doing a fair bit of testing

Not broken? Then wear a particular kind of gaer into warzone as dps and enjoy over 3k bonus damage, 12k endurance and 5 million damage at the end of the round.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

Not broken? Then wear a particular kind of gaer into warzone as dps and enjoy over 3k bonus damage, 12k endurance and 5 million damage at the end of the round.

can u find that mysterious particular kind of gear in the cartel market?

can u get it throwing snow balls?

THE THRILL OF THE MYSTERIOUS KIND OF PARTICULAR GEAR IS EXCITING!

Alec, I know you've been around long enough to know about Icykills old gearing thread and bolster investigations.

You may not know, but Icy is my partner and I've had a back seat to all her testing. Just the other day I talked to her about the current system (she's stopped playing) and she read through Hotties thread. After she read it I asked her opinion and she said it was working as intended.

Other people often have the opinion that it's broken. So I posted this in Hotties thread to explain why it's not and how it actually works.

Bolster's always been a fickle beast. Some of you might know Icykill's old gearing thread and bolster. What some of you mightn't know is Icy is my partner. I've seen her toil through the intricacies of Bolster since it was first implemented.

Back in 4.0 she said it had nearly reached a perfect and easy to understand system. But there were still anomalies that she got to the bottom of and tried to answered all the questions about Bolster, at least for someone who doesn't work at Bio.

I've been discussing the 5.0 system with her and got her to read this thread because she's stopped playing due to the bad implementation of the expansion.

Here are somethings she's been able to pick out of the thread that Hottie has tested and others have noticed.

1. Even though if might not seem this way, she's pretty sure Bolster is working as intended and is probably still following the same system as it was in 4.0

2. The reason people are having what appear to be strange results is Bolster has always had a critical stat point that if you pass it, you will lose other stats, even if the gear level equiped is the sweet spot.

3. Now that expertise is no longer in the game, Bolster is compensating more. She thinks they may even be using the same algorithm, just with expertise removed.

*Now please stay with me because I'm doing this part from memory and I may say things out of order*

The way she explained it to me is that there will be built in flat caps for each stat. As you pass those flat caps it will reduce other stats.

ie, when you roughly reach the Bolster gear cap you will start to see Bolster fine tune and balance based on any stats not balanced under that cap. So say the cap was 100 master or power and you went to 120. Then another stat such as crit and alacrity would get reduced to compensate for extra potential output those other stats give. But then if you try increasing those stats again you will lose some damage numbers.

The reason Bolster seems more erratic this time is because people are putting in different level mods and enhancements with the gear armor in each piece of gear.

Icy tested this sort of gearing in 3:0/4.0 and got similar looking results as you guys are at the moment. She tested it for weeks to lock down exactly how it worked. Her conclusions once again coincided with what I've said above about the individual stat caps.

ie (Note, this is just an example and may not represent Hotties testing exactly)

Say you have an armor set of say, 208 and the gear cap is 230. Bolster will increase your stats to the base stats it gives you, this is usually a little below the cap (let's say 220 for this example) and with the current gearing system it is hard to get set bonuses fast, so people are keeping in their old 208 set bonus armor piece and adding higher end mods and enhancements.

** one thing I'll quickly add here is that Bolster does take into account the bonuses a little bit, but it's hardly noticeable**

Because Bolster looks at the armor lvl first, it bases the base stats off this. So when you add different lvl mods, etc, Bolster then needs to step in and adjust those stats so they balance with the base stats. I know this seems convoluted, but that's the only way Bolster can keep pieces from making a slot OP. If you put in 3 different gear lvls in the same piece you will see even stranger results. Now all of that is just for one slot piece.

With Bolster balancing each slot first and then balancing the stats for all the gear after, it will give wacky looking results if you are just trying to test it for each slot or mod/enhancement change and if you have a hodge podge setup

Bolster also likes it when things are simple for it to work out (lol), so if every slot is filled with the same lvl gear, you will get a much smoother and accurate representation of what the intended gear cap is for all the stats.

That being said, we know the Devs rarely understand what stats are needed in pvp, accuracy is a prime example here, so this opens up the window to min max those stats to their BiS. In the past we've known that the top pvp armor is the Bolster cap, so it was easy to min max with augments or other pvp mods and enhancement from the pvp vendors. With things the way they are now and not having dedicated pvp armor, we're still not sure what BiS is and probably won't know for months of trial and error, even then it will still be contentious.

Hotties testing is starting to show where and especially how to find those BiS stats using the higher gear lvl mods and enhancements. But when people are eventually able to gear all internals (with the lvl cap set bonuses) with the same lvl items and every slot filled with the same lvl, we will see much smoother results as Bolster really likes every slot to be the same level. It's from there that you be able to work out the easiest way to min max.

Anyway I hope some of that made sense. Icy just skimmed through what I wrote and she said it's close enough, lol.

If you have any questions let me know and I'll see if I can pick her Brain a bit more.

She asked me to add this. It was much easier in 3.0 (and to a lesser extent in 4.0 because they broke it) to do all of this testing because the Bolster terminals on the fleets allowed for real WZ stat comparisons. She could just sit there with a cargo hold full of gear and test for hours. She didn't need to enter matches to get the real numbers.

So she applauds all of Hotties hard work and those that have helped her :D

Well thats good to know. xD BW WHY YOU NO MAKE STICKY WITH THIS INFO!?

Don't bother. The Bolster terminal was broken in 4:0 and stopped showing the real stats you got when you went into WZs.

It's even worse with 5:0. The only way you can actually see your real stats now is to check them in the WZ.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I have been screaming this since the day Bolster went live

Worst. Idea. EVER.

:o

Sure when it was first released they hadn't ironed out all the issues, but why should we expect anything else, they do that with every part of the game and then eventually fix it. But it's no longer broken and has been working as intended since 3.0.

Without Bolster we would never have viable lowbies or mids and end game brackets would be gear vs gear, not skill vs skill.

What people need to do is learn how it works. But Bio don't make that easy. They never come out and tell you what the stat or gear cap is for Bolster, which is why people always say it's broken.

But once you know what that is, there is no problem gearing properly.

For that to happen it usually take some of the dedicated pvp population to test and test and test to find all of the info out.

If you want to blame something for being broken, blame Bios lack of communication on how it works and basic info on what the caps are for Bolster. It seems so idiotic that they don't, it's not like it stays a trade secret for long and all it does is cause people to blame Bolster for being broken.

Dear noobs/ tier one peasants. 208 purples are

Not better than 234 or 240 purples , hilts and barrels also will add 100 damage each to your min. Mac damage, 208 is better than purple 228 and 230 only. Legendary items also blow everything out of the water. All you have to do is test it yourself on the bolsterizer or in warzone with char sheet open. If you have your full 208 set, keep it until you can make a full 234 set. Disentergrate any blue or green item u get they are useless.

Dear noobs/ tier one peasants. 208 purples are

Not better than 234 or 240 purples , hilts and barrels also will add 100 damage each to your min. Mac damage, 208 is better than purple 228 and 230 only. Legendary items also blow everything out of the water. All you have to do is test it yourself on the bolsterizer or in warzone with char sheet open. If you have your full 208 set, keep it until you can make a full 234 set. Disentergrate any blue or green item u get they are useless.

** the Bolster terminal is broken and has been since 4.0. The only way to see the correct stats is in a WZ **

Also you should keep your 208 pvp armor inserts for set bonuses until you can get lvl 234/240 set bonus armor inserts.

** the Bolster terminal is broken and has been since 4.0. The only way to see the correct stats is in a WZ **

Also you should keep your 208 pvp armor inserts for set bonuses until you can get lvl 234/240 set bonus armor inserts.

Bro i just said that

Older gear bonus sets have always been a major problem in this game, creating huge disadvantages for those who cannot access that equipment anymore... And I don't what the solution is, but I think I would remove set effects for older gear.

Then, as you stated, why would you want to get a "better" equipment if you already have a superior gear with bonus sets? :confused: