The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Any news on the ability delays that plague this game since 5.0 hit?

mmmbuddah

I was just wondering if they have even acknowledged this ability delay issue? Even after quite a few people ran all the tests BW and EA asked us to and we showed it was not on our end, there has been some pretty deafening silence when it comes to this issue. It makes some fights on vet nearly -impossible-.

It's probably something they can't fix easily, so they are ignoring it.

Overload on my sin is probably the worst offender. Especially in PvP. Sometimes it take an extra second or two to fire and many times it has no effect on opposing players.

Probably a combination of bad coding, too many particle effects, and 5 year old servers that sorely need overhaul. Everything the sniper does feels delayed due to needing to squat before using attacks ready to mothball that class and just stick with sorcs & mercs.

Probably a combination of bad coding, too many particle effects, and 5 year old servers that sorely need overhaul. Everything the sniper does feels delayed due to needing to squat before using attacks ready to mothball that class and just stick with sorcs & mercs.

I have the same problem with my ruffian scoundrel, its ridiculous. And dont even get me started on the final battle in KOTET. Or the walker fights . abilities literally did not fire off for 10 seconds, and sometimes they still went into cooldown but nothing happened, so i always got mutilated by the enemy...

This + master mode chapters make me think it will be nigh impossible to do all master mode chapters.

That second walker chapter alone is nearly impossible on veteran without some really long and boring tactics so in master is it going to even be possible?

I was just wondering if they have even acknowledged this ability delay issue? Even after quite a few people ran all the tests BW and EA asked us to and we showed it was not on our end, there has been some pretty deafening silence when it comes to this issue. It makes some fights on vet nearly -impossible-.

What's frustrating is some people don't seem to be having it. I played against a shadow yesterday and not one of my abilities actually activated due to the delay. But he was getting his to activate instantly. There was no in game lag other than the normal.

I would activate a self heal or speed run and it would go instantly on CD, but wouldn't go off for 1-2 secs. I could still move freely and with no lag. But the guy attacking me could get every ability off instantly.

I think it's got to be one of the internal instance servers. If you are on a good one, then you have no issues, but if it's a bad one, then your stuffed.

I know when every I login or log out I get a different server ip.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

It's probably something they can't fix easily, so they are ignoring it.

Overload on my sin is probably the worst offender. Especially in PvP. Sometimes it take an extra second or two to fire and many times it has no effect on opposing players.

OL on the top HB platform while you're trying to knock a ball carrier back. You set it off while they are well in front of you and it's like the button is squishy and it goes off when they are well past you and basically on the goal line.

I just wanted to add that this ability activation lag or squishy buttons happened straight after 4.0 was released too. It took them 2 months to acknowledge it and then another 1-2 months to finally get it fixed. I wouldn't expect anything to be done till the end of Feb/March

Here's one I found just after the 4.0 launch. You'd think Bio would have learn their lesson from the last expansion

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=785481&highlight=Ability+lag

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Glad to hear there is a reason. Noticed it a lot, but normally blow it off and forget. Would say, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one, but I am not. Had Kolto overload not go off, died maybe 3 or 4 secs later, kolto overload goes into cd after I hit revive.

Yeah. The second walker battle is like that for me. I use my ability, it goes into cooldown, I use it again, it goes into CD again, and I am dead, without anything firing off. :mad:

I have the same issue often. It's not as bad in regular gameplay anymore but it's horrible during KOTET. The Walker sections are tedious, but I have more issues when you use the Walker for the last time. Abilities going into cooldown but not being used, severe lag with them. I dread playing that chapter every time I get to it on a new character. Edited by Farferello

Ok, '5 year vet but still a noob' question, is this connected with alacrity? i.e. maybe a combination of low alacrity and a slow visual effect response time?

For me it feels like I'm forever having to 're-click' an ability because it didn't register the first time, but I've wondered if it could be an intended mechanic/reason for boosting alacrity.

Ok, '5 year vet but still a noob' question, is this connected with alacrity? i.e. maybe a combination of low alacrity and a slow visual effect response time?

For me it feels like I'm forever having to 're-click' an ability because it didn't register the first time, but I've wondered if it could be an intended mechanic/reason for boosting alacrity.

Strangely enough it's the opposite for me with respect to Alacrity (Arsenal Mercs like Alacrity), IE if/when this happens to me vis-a-vis Alacrity, it's a sign for me that I have too much of it.

It's like all the abilities "overload the ability queue" (<---Or something like that? Server tech definitely =/= not my area of expertise, but that's how I'm interpreting this), and just pretty much "locks up" on me for at least 3-5 secs, although I still get the cooldown timer.

(That's my sign to drop a few Alacrity augs for Crit, though, at least on my Mercs and Slingers.)

The animation delays/lock ups have come and gone since Beta, though. They've barely even acknowledged that it's a problem beyond the odd useless boilerplate statements for just about as long, too.